Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto-mate just got better! auto-matePRO now available

FOR PAJERO NT+ (2009+)

After listening to feedback from over 3 years of use, I'm really excited to now released auto-matePRO.

Whereas the original auto-mate was primarily designed for use only when towing, auto-matePRO is ideal for the driver who wants maximum control over the operation of their transmission and a choice depending on the driving conditions.

In addition to the features of auto-mate, auto-matePRO has new features for smoother operation during daily driving and for higher powered engines.

With new configuration parameters and two memories, auto-matePRO easily switches into your preferred mode, and operate your way!

Great for daily driving, re-tuned engines, 33" tyres, and the later NX 2017+ models, and the enthusiast!

The two memory configurations could be for:
    • your Guardian Angel (temperature protection only, with factory ECU operation until hot) [Memory 1 default]
    • towing (maximum temperature reduction and fuel economy) [Memory 2 default]
    • daily driving around town (smooth and responsive)
    • low-range 4WD
    • retune / chip On and OFF
    • or your own...the choice is yours!
    We've also reduced the original auto-mate price in line with our new product.

And as always - we're offering an upgrade path for existing auto-mate owners at a special price ($99) until 31 May - order here.

More details about auto-matePRO are here.

Cheers,
    Marshall
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate and NEW RELEASE auto-matePRO

Well done Marshall.
    MY21 NX Pajero
    a few mods to come !

Comment

A few weeks ago I did a car swap with Marshall so he could try some new ideas on the PB Challenger.
      I ended driving the MM4x4 NX for 3 days around the city, it had the the new Auto Mate Pro fitted, well what a difference from the last time I drove his NX fitted with Auto Mate to the new Auto Mate Pro. With Auto Mate Pro selected on around the city I could not fault it when driving sedately, normally or spiritedly, it felt as if the engine had had a remap, the auto and the engine sweetly operate together. I didn't do any highway/freeway driving but did a little hills driving and the feel is just fantastic, roads that I would normally use manual shifting on can now the driven, with almost the same confidence and control, in full auto mod.

I thought I was imagining things so I visited "Pajero 12" who has Lockup Mate installed in his NW, his impression were "wow, surely the engine has been tuned".

Only problem is there is no Auto Mate Pro for the Challenger, so I have to reconcile I have "Auto Mate Pro Envy"

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

How hard is it to remove the black box?

I recall a couple of little plug things.

Can anyone explain why OJ fealt the vehicle had more oomf ?

I find around town, i'm completely fine with it switched of.

It would be good to know how this upgrade will be helpful in 4LLC over current model?

The improved smoothness in 60-80k's zones? This is a contentious hunt speed
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
          How hard is it to remove the black box?
          I recall a couple of little plug things.
          auto-mate PRO is a firmware change to the original auto-mate control unit.
          Yes, just remove the control unit and put the link plugs onto the ends of two of the cable. This returns all wiring back to factory configuration. If you don't put the link plugs on, you get a transmission trouble code (flashing N) and the SPORT mode no longer functions. All this is OK and no harm is done. Just need to reset the trouble codes using an OBD2 reader.
          Just the control unit is returned to us for the upgrade.

Can anyone explain why OJ fealt the vehicle had more oomf ?
          Best left to OJ I guess. I suggest maybe because it feels responsive when in the city mode.

I find around town, i'm completely fine with it switched of.
          Yes, this is the feedback from many. This is why we setup memory 1 as your Guardian Angel. Why have this capability just sitting there OFF? Now auto-matePRO will sit back and monitor your temp and activate when things are a bit hot. You also get the current gear number displayed in the instrument cluster, which doesn't happen when it's off. When you want to tow, triple click the LED to toggle
          memories and you're now setup for towing - easy.

It would be good to know how this upgrade will be helpful in 4LLC over current model?
          In 4LLc conditions when you DON'T want it locked up (such as rocks / creeks), using the temperature protection setup (Memory 1) it will kick in only when needed.
          If you have a modified valve body, you can setup one of the memories to activate lockup in 1st gear. The two memories make switching modes a breeze.

The improved smoothness in 60-80k's zones? This is a contentious hunt speed
          Yes, at 60/80 are is right on the 1500-1600 limit for lockup before driveline vibration, and in city traffic you often slow to say 55 while under light throttle. Instead of needing to downshift, it instead smoothly unlocks and stays in 4th, and then when back at 60 it smoothly re-locks. Almost seamless. Really nice to drive! Once near 50 it will drop into 3rd (locked) - a small squirt of the throttle and it's highly responsive to duck into the next lane etc.
          Last edited by m_and_m; 18-03-21, 02:34 PM.
          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate and NEW RELEASE auto-matePRO

Comment

I felt the drive experience was very good, almost seamless, smooth, effortless, the gearbox always seemed to be in the right gear for the drive conditions, the combined engine and trans felt connected, strong and responsive with minimal delay.
            No hunting between gears, during the short the flex lock periods, where the TC is unlocked between gear changes, it gives a feeling of having another gear, like a close ratio sequential manual trans, so the engine rpm does not fluctuated too much between gears. It is hard to explain, but it feels a lot different to a Gen 4 with a factory AT program and different to Auto Mate in the Gen 4. I only drive a Gen 4 occasionally, sometimes for an hour or so and other times for a few days so I never really get to know the individual vehicle characteristics and find out where the sweet spot is under all operating conditions.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

The Pro version looks great! So this is just a software upgrade? I thought when I brought mine it said free software upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyro1970 View Post
                The Pro version looks great! So this is just a software upgrade? I thought when I brought mine it said free software upgrades.
                Yes, it’s a really good improvement for many customers who want to use it all the time rather than when just towing.

Yes, firmware (software) upgrades are free for minor features and bug fixes. We included SafeLock as a free firmware upgrade, as it just made sense.

auto-matePRO, however, is a new product and the result of over 9 months of R&D and major new features.
                auto-mate (original) is still available (now a reduced price) for those who don’t need the new features.

Comment

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                  auto-mate PRO is a firmware change to the original auto-mate control unit.
                  Yes, just remove the control unit and put the link plugs onto the ends of two of the cable. This returns all wiring back to factory configuration. If you don't put the link plugs on, you get a transmission trouble code (flashing N) and the SPORT mode no longer functions. All this is OK and no harm is done. Just need to reset the trouble codes using an OBD2 reader.
                  Just the control unit is returned to us for the upgrade.

Best left to OJ I guess. I suggest maybe because it feels responsive when in the city mode.

Yes, this is the feedback from many. This is why we setup memory 1 as your Guardian Angel. Why have this capability just sitting there OFF? Now auto-matePRO will sit back and monitor your temp and activate when things are a bit hot. You also get the current gear number displayed in the instrument cluster, which doesn't happen when it's off. When you want to tow, triple click the LED to toggle
                  memories and you're now setup for towing - easy.

In 4LLc conditions when you DON'T want it locked up (such as rocks / creeks), using the temperature protection setup (Memory 1) it will kick in only when needed.
                  If you have a modified valve body, you can setup one of the memories to activate lockup in 1st gear. The two memories make switching modes a breeze.

Yes, at 60/80 are is right on the 1500-1600 limit for lockup before driveline vibration, and in city traffic you often slow to say 55 while under light throttle. Instead of needing to downshift, it instead smoothly unlocks and stays in 4th, and then when back at 60 it smoothly re-locks. Almost seamless. Really nice to drive! Once near 50 it will drop into 3rd (locked) - a small squirt of the throttle and it's highly responsive to duck into the next lane etc.
                  I'm trying to understand "City Mode" & how it is activated.
                  I think it is by adjusting temp to 40 kick in on Memory 1? If Memory 1 was selected around town, Automate won't lock unless 80 degrees otherwise?

So in 4LLC Sports mode only, Memory 1 selected with temp set at 80 degrees?
                  It will worked unlocked but look for lock @ above 80 degrees which will be continual load & try & maintain that temp?
                  If this is correct makes sense?

I'm trying to understand the saftware upgrade & how one would see change over Automate software as it is with Ultragauge?

If the above is correct would that mean i have to change memory 1 temp for city & 4LLC?

Comment

I'm trying to understand "City Mode" & how it is activated.
                    I think it is by adjusting temp to 40 kick in on Memory 1? If Memory 1 was selected around town, Automate won't lock unless 80 degrees otherwise?
                    That’s right. I set memory 1 as a guardian angel mode, which uses factory control until the temp is getting high. Then it uses the ‘new’ city mode config parameters which are much smoother and nicer.
                    But, just reduce the activation temp down to 40 and memory 1 becomes the city mode.

I even made it so ‘guardian angel’ mode doesn’t constantly and annoyingly pulse the LED. So 180kph=80 degC with pulsing deactivate. 80kph is 80 degC with pulsing on.
                    Hence to go into city mode for daily drive I’d change P5 from 180kph to 40kph. (Or 140kph if you don’t want it pulsing during warmup)
                    So in 4LLC Sports mode only, Memory 1 selected with temp set at 80 degrees?
                    It will worked unlocked but look for lock @ above 80 degrees which will be continual load & try & maintain that temp?
                    If this is correct makes sense?
                    Yes, but in 4LLC I either use memory 2 if I know I want it on, or memory 1 if I want it off (unless it’s getting hot)
                    I'm trying to understand the saftware upgrade & how one would see change over Automate software as it is with Ultragauge?
                    Hmm. Not quite sure what you mean about the UltraGauge? To buy the new firmware you just return the automate control unit to us and we then return it. UltraGauge can stay plugged in and works fine without automate there.

If the above is correct would that mean i have to change memory 1 temp for city & 4LLC?
                    yes for city. For 4LLc just use memory 2 if you want it on. When in 4LLc it uses a different algorithm and there is no ‘smoother’ city mode.

Last edited by m_and_m; 19-03-21, 06:39 PM.

Comment

“Great for daily driving, re-tuned engines, 33" tyres, and the later NX 2017+ models, and the enthusiast!.”
                      having a 2020 Nx,can you clarify what you mean here?
                      I have just acquired a van,so very interested in getting automate,but this seems a real benefit for everyday driving

Comment

My Challenger PB series had the mrt ecu remap about 150000km ago. It had the Wholesale Automatic Transmissions torque lock shortly after.
                        I just read the auto-mate description of their lock up and auto-mate pro.
                        My torque lock is basically used in sport mode and I change manually up or down between 1800 and 2000 revs. As the ecu remap puts the peak torque about that range.
                        In Tasmania towing a 2 tonne van I liked the engine braking down steep grades. On long climbs I'd make early decisions to manually change down and had no limp mode incidence.
                        yep it's not sophisticated, and if you don't disengage it when slowing to a stop or low speed turn it can stall or cause shudder. But it leaves safety protocols in place if too much load and gear too high and a change down will occur.

Yes, if the auto-mate had been around I would have given it a go, but the ecu remap is essential to get the most benefit from a torque lock in the Challanger or Triton.

Comment

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post

Yes, but in 4LLC I either use memory 2 if I know I want it on, or memory 1 if I want it off (unless it’s getting hot)

Hmm. Not quite sure what you mean about the UltraGauge? To buy the new firmware you just return the automate control unit to us and we then return it. UltraGauge can stay plugged in and works fine without automate there.

yes for city. For 4LLc just use memory 2 if you want it on. When in 4LLc it uses a different algorithm and there is no ‘smoother’ city mode.
                          Thanks for your help Marhsall with understanding, i've read manual Automate Pro, trying to work it out.

I presume basically what i have now standard Automate is eqivelant to memory 2 in Automate pro??

What i mean is, I have an Ultra Gauge i see the temps. I can switch it on/off, press the button easy enough.

Standard Automate 4LLC
                          So Torque converter is useful as shock absorber & maintaining torque, keeping engine in correct rev range etc.
                          Tranny gets up in temp press button, head for hard sand as example.

Automate Pro If i'm in memory 1
                          4LLC, oil is above 80 degrees or i have it set to 40 degrees (city mode) & it is active,
                          Is Automate Pro Memory 1 different to memory 2 or Automate software i am already using at all?

Comment

Thanks for your help Marshall with understanding, i've read manual Automate Pro, trying to work it out.

I presume basically what i have now standard Automate is eqivelant to memory 2 in Automate pro??
                            Yes. Memory 2 is setup just like the original automate and is designed to maximise lockup and reduce fuel consumption. Even so, auto-matePRO still has has improvements for a smoother operation.
                            What i mean is, I have an Ultra Gauge i see the temps. I can switch it on/off, press the button easy enough.

Standard Automate 4LLC
                            So Torque converter is useful as shock absorber & maintaining torque, keeping engine in correct rev range etc.
                            Tranny gets up in temp press button, head for hard sand as example.
                            Yes, the torque converter reduces driveline shock spikes. And, yes with ‘original’ auto-mate you have to decided yourself based on trans temps on the UltraGauge if you should turn AM8 on or off when in conditions that could cause driveline shock (think CV snapping type stuff)
                            Memory 1 only activates it if the temps get high, and deactivates when they ok again.
                            Automate Pro If i'm in memory 1
                            4LLC, oil is above 80 degrees or i have it set to 40 degrees (city mode) & it is active,
                            yes
                            Is Automate Pro Memory 1 different to memory 2 or Automate software i am already using at all?
                            Yes. Keep in mind each memory can be setup for whatever you want. We’re talking about my choice of parameters for mem 1 and 2. Mem 2 is like you have now, both 2H/4H and 4L
                            Hmm. It’s called ‘PRO’ because it is more complex to understand now...to meet the needs of ‘enthusiasts’
                            In 4LLC P1 has no effect as the gear shift function is disabled in DRIVE, leaving P2 parameters which can affect 4L engagement in SPORT
                            Last edited by m_and_m; 20-03-21, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skyehelmsman View Post
                              “Great for daily driving, re-tuned engines, 33" tyres, and the later NX 2017+ models, and the enthusiast!.”
                              having a 2020 Nx,can you clarify what you mean here?
                              I have just acquired a van,so very interested in getting automate,but this seems a real benefit for everyday driving
                              In the latest NX Pajero’s (17+) the rear diff ratio change means at 60/80kph it’s right at in the ‘pinch point’ of needing to downshift to avoid driveline vibration. auto-mate PRO can instead unlock the torque converter rather than downshifting a gear, which is smoother and more refined. Hence being nicer for a daily drive if your driving route would yield fuel savings benefits.

when towing, auto-mate (PRO or original) protects the transmission from high temperatures with 10% fuel savings as the bonus.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X