Gen 4 Paddle shift wiring harnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 4 Paddle shift wiring harnesses

A few years back, I figured out how to add transmission shift paddles to a Gen 4 Pajero, and posted the DIY info on this forum here.

I stumbled across a batch of genuine factory paddles assemblies at a great price, and bought all that I could so I could produce kits for sale. That stock is now sold, and finding second-hand paddles at wreckers is too hard - so I'm no longer selling complete kits.

For those who don't want to go the full DIY route, I am still offering plug & play harnesses. They're fiddly & time-consuming, so they're not cheap - pricing information at the bottom of this post.

Please note that this plug & play harness only allows the paddles to work with the transmission shifter in Sports mode - in any other position the paddles don't work. MM 4x4 no longer make paddle-mate, but this paddle adaptor harness provides factory-like integration with auto-mate.

Finding a paddles assembly:

Mitsubishi introduced a new paddles assembly around the time that the Pajero Sport arrived in Australia. The new assembly mounts differently, doesn't fit the Pajero steering column, and attempting to explain to wreckers how to identify the older assembly has proved difficult.

The correct (older) paddles were first released (I think) around 2007, and can be found in some Lancers, Outlanders, ASX, Challengers and (very few) Tritons. I’m not sure which models of which vehicles have the old assembly, other than PB & PC Challenger – they definitely have the old assembly.

The correct assembly has a metal frame, and wraps around the clock spring:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Old%20paddles%20-%20right.jpg Views:	97 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	1109417

The incorrect assembly has a plastic frame, and sits under the steering column:

Click image for larger version  Name:	New%20paddles%20-%20wrong.jpg Views:	95 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	1109418

The different assemblies can be identified by the shape of the tips – the covers don’t need to be removed to determine if they’re the correct set.

The correct set has a continuous curve on the upper inside edge:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Old%20tip%20-%20right.jpg Views:	97 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	1109421

The incorrect set has a straight section, then a curve on the upper inside edge:

Click image for larger version  Name:	New%20tip%20-%20wrong.jpg Views:	100 Size:	88.2 KB ID:	1109422

When buying a set of paddles from a wrecker, please ask for
    • the 3 pin connector, with about 50mm of cable attached - I haven't been able to find a source for the electrical connector to plug into the paddles assembly
    • the mounting screws.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3%20pin%20connector%20-%20old%20paddles.jpg Views:	100 Size:	115.6 KB ID:	1109420

If the screws don't arrive with the paddles you'll need to find two 6g x 16mm screws.

Steering column covers:

As per the DIY thread, the paddle assembly frame needs to be extensively trimmed to fit inside the Pajero covers, and the covers require slots cut for the paddles. More fiddly, time-consuming work.

Some friendly folks in the middle-east identified that steering column covers from a PB / PC Challenger that has paddles will fit the Pajero steering column - not a perfect fit, but pretty close. As such, if you can find a PB / PC Challenger with paddles, buy the steering column covers when you buy the paddles.
    Please note that covers from a Challenger without paddles are very different, and will not fit paddles.

Other Mitsubishi models that have the correct paddles have a different height adjust mechanism for the steering column, so the covers won't fit the Pajero steering column.

If you can't find the right wreck, I currently have some sets of new genuine Challenger covers to suit the paddles you find.

Pricing:

A plug & play adaptor harness for a Pajero is $125 delivered, anywhere in Australia. This includes two wiring harnesses, some plastic inserts to help stabilise the bottom of the paddles, some solder sleeves to join my harness to the 3 pin connector from the wrecker, and a printed set of instructions. A PDF of the instructions is also attached to this post.

Including a set of new genuine Mitsubishi steering column covers, while stocks last, brings the total cost to $225 delivered, anywhere in Australia.

Ordering:

Please PM me here - I generally receive notifications via email, and can respond pretty quick.

Payment:

I'm happy to accept direct deposit, or PayPal - please advise
    • your preferred payment method,
    • the email address for the invoice, and
    • a delivery address (if PayPal doesn't already know it).
    I hate spam as much as the next person - I promise to treat your email details confidentially.

Vehicle:

When ordering, please advise
    • vehicle model & petrol vs diesel - this ensures I provide the correct plugs to suit your vehicle.
    • which covers you are planning to use (Pajero or Challenger) - the plastic supports are different.

Any questions? Feel free to ask.
    Attached Files
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

I absolutely love my paddles and personally recommend NJ SWB’s kit highly !
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Same here. I bought the set on a bit of a whim, not really expecting to get much value from them and really thinking they were a bit of show and nothing more. How wrong was I. I love them and can't understand that Mitsi didn't just add them to the Paj when they are so easy to fit. I use them a lot and particularly in the high country or when going down a long declines and I can easily change gears as required. Love them and well worth fitting.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X