GPS Receivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Receivers

I'm planning on getting a GPS receiver for my laptop. Does anyone have a view on PCMCIA or USB? I assume SiRF Star III chipset is the way to go?

Mike

I have a USB mouse on mine. My choice is the USB as the Cord is around 2Mtrs long and if you get one with a Magnet on the bottom of the USB Mouse you will be able to put it ontop of your Roof for better reception. Take in mind It suited me as I have a Carputer installed and its located the back of the paj. worked good for me.

Plenty of thees from ebay to choose from just have a browse at whats out there. I paid $100 for mine. Worth every dollar.
    NJ Shortie 3ltr
    ARB Bullbar, ARB Front and Rear Air Locca, polyair bag suspension, Airtek snorkel, Dual Battery setup, Exhaust setup, Big Doof Doof Stereo

Comment

USB....If you use a pcmia GPS the reception will be worse as the GPS antenna will be inside the car with the laptop. A USB GPS can be placed up on the dash or (If magnetic) outside on the roof for better reception.

The SIRFStar III chipset is good (Currently rated as the best in low cost GPS units) but don't believe that it is the only one. There are other chipsets that will work just as well in most applications.

Plus for future use many newer laptops no longer have full pcmcia slots having moved to a newer standard.

Peter
      2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

SiRF Star III chipset is the way to go (or newer)

USB will be cheaper.
        --
        Marquis
        SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Thanks guys. Sounds like the USB is the way to go. Cheers!

Comment

Hi Mike,
            If you want to run more than one program on your laptop then GPS gate is a great program to split your one input com signal into unlimited virtual coms to use with Ozi, N-Route, Discover Aus, etc, enabling all programs to be run at once from one gps reciever.

Kev
            2000 NM,Duel Fuel, 50mm Lift, ARB Bar,Ironman 12000lb Winch, Lightforce spots, Cooper ST's 265/75, 285/75 MT Baja Claws on Gu Rims, Milford, Drawer system, Dual Batteries, 60lt Engel, Carputer with 8 inch touch screen. Beer, Wife, Kids and sometimes dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by kevshaz View Post
              Hi Mike,
              If you want to run more than one program on your laptop then GPS gate is a great program to split your one input com signal into unlimited virtual coms to use with Ozi, N-Route, Discover Aus, etc, enabling all programs to be run at once from one gps reciever.

Kev
              Thanks Kev. Good tip. I'll check it out.

Cheers.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X