Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK to ban sales on petrol & Diesel by 2030

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...-ban-next-week
    2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

No mention of population control which i always find hilarious
    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Can’t see it happening by then,people over here can’t afford new electric cars,and the old ones have less efficient battery’s that don’t last long,so think the government over here are dreamers

Comment

Originally posted by Old pops View Post
        Can’t see it happening by then,people over here can’t afford new electric cars,and the old ones have less efficient battery’s that don’t last long,so think the government over here are dreamers
        They will ban fossil fueled cars in the larger cities first. 10 years is a long time in technology so there will be new things on the horizon in regards fuel cells. Hitler had the right idea when he made the Volkswagen Beetle (the Peoples Car). If many of the larger countries started manufacturing cheap, reliable, affordable vehicles it would be a huge win for environment and the social/economic stability of many countries. Even here in Australia our cities are full of large sedans and suv,s that are not necessary.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
        Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

In 10 years time, things will obviously be very different, and in my case, the RTA or whoever they are called then will probably have pulled my licence anyway (if I am still here, which I sincerely hope I will be). However, Rural Australia will be affected a long time before this happens. I can see the price of petroleum fuels going through the roof, and we won't have electric cars with enough range to do what we want in our retirement. That is bad, but what about trucks? We all need trucks to transport our food, building supplies, fuel etc from wherever to where we need them. In the middle of Sydney, you are almost as dependent on trucks as you are in Bourke. Yes - in Sydney you can go to work in a train but you still need a truck to deliver the groceries to Woolies and Coles etc. Electric trucks may cut it in inner city environment, but as for interstate, no way. WHat do we do? At this stage, just sit and wait....

Comment

I'm old enough to remember the constant smog in Melbourne, mainly from car emissions on a still day. But since engines have become more efficient and the pollution controls kicked in, there's nothing like that happening now, even with 5-10 times the number of cars on the road.

I'm enjoying retirement and hope to be still driving in the outback in 10 years time but it's a worry that they continue to demonize diesel cars.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

the big issue will be batteries.... many 10 year old hybrids now have dead batteries and rely solely on their petrol/diesel engine infact many are dying around the 5 year mark and the battery packs are just ballast
              1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
              *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
              1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back AND 8 PSI of BOOOOOST

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans

Comment

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                the big issue will be batteries.... many 10 year old hybrids now have dead batteries and rely solely on their petrol/diesel engine infact many are dying around the 5 year mark and the battery packs are just ballast
                Have you seen the pricing on replacement battery packs......I reckon there will be a big mob of peeved off lecky car drivers coming up. They paid a premium for an elecky vehicle at the time of purchase, only to find out it needs a new engine in a pretty short period of time.

Imagine having to replace the engine in your Paj every 10 years. Doesn't look so sweet now does it.
                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post

Have you seen the pricing on replacement battery packs......I reckon there will be a big mob of peeved off lecky car drivers coming up. They paid a premium for an elecky vehicle at the time of purchase, only to find out it needs a new engine in a pretty short period of time.

Imagine having to replace the engine in your Paj every 10 years. Doesn't look so sweet now does it.
                  Well that is the inconvenient truth. I heard the other day electric vehicles are great because they are emissions free, zero, zip. In fact it might have been this article. So have we managed to create energy from naught? Solar, wind ,etc close but mostly coal over here which gets forgotten and put aside what goes into making those batteries and the lithium which needs to come out of the ground and refined. Still too taboo to have a rational discussion over unlocking atoms.
                  NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post

A friend's ex bought an early Prius from her father. Gave her a number of years of good cheap motoring, until one day it wouldn't start - and Toyota couldn't figure out why not.

It went to scrap, and she bought a conventional Corolla.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

The last battery replacement I heard of was for a 7 year old Leaf which had done about 80,000k . Cost $32,000
                      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Yes I have dealt with replacement battery prices - I used to work for the WA Tesla approved repairers and having seen 2 tesla battery packs fail in less than 1 year of motoring (tesla are quick to hide those sort of details) and many other brands of car with dead electric drive batteries its something I am really not phased about - the carbon footprint of a big lithium pack is abround 8-10 years of petrol free motoring to come equal to that of a gasoline engine - problem is after those 8-10 years you have to buy a new battery or car, which increases the manufacturing footprint - where a conventional vehicle after 8 -10 years has used fossil fuel and sits about equal with the electric vehicle --- and does not cost 10's of thousands of dollars to keep on the road over 20 years the footprint of the petrol vehicle is almost half that of an electric car of similar size. (assuming 1 batterypack replacement --- of course by 20 years it will be needing another 30k or whatever of batteries)

I am a huge fan of electric vehicles but the energy storage is not there yet. we need a better method before IC engines are totally phased out.
                        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back AND 8 PSI of BOOOOOST

Comment

To be honest there is not enough infrastructure in place to keep the electric cars going,the same way that fossil fuel cars have been going ,also over here in U.K. they love to tax you on everything,tax buying the car ,road tax,and the tax on fuel is a joke ,so how will they recoup that,oh don’t tell me special electric to charge the car,rumour is that there is a lot of research into hydrogen cars ,which would make more sense

Comment

Originally posted by Old pops View Post
                            To be honest there is not enough infrastructure in place to keep the electric cars going,the same way that fossil fuel cars have been going ,also over here in U.K. they love to tax you on everything,tax buying the car ,road tax,and the tax on fuel is a joke ,so how will they recoup that,oh don’t tell me special electric to charge the car,rumour is that there is a lot of research into hydrogen cars ,which would make more sense
                            They are already talking about a mileage based tax here for electric cars to recover the lost revenue in fuel sales

Comment

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                              Yes I have dealt with replacement battery prices - I used to work for the WA Tesla approved repairers and having seen 2 tesla battery packs fail in less than 1 year of motoring (tesla are quick to hide those sort of details) and many other brands of car with dead electric drive batteries its something I am really not phased about - the carbon footprint of a big lithium pack is abround 8-10 years of petrol free motoring to come equal to that of a gasoline engine - problem is after those 8-10 years you have to buy a new battery or car, which increases the manufacturing footprint - where a conventional vehicle after 8 -10 years has used fossil fuel and sits about equal with the electric vehicle --- and does not cost 10's of thousands of dollars to keep on the road over 20 years the footprint of the petrol vehicle is almost half that of an electric car of similar size. (assuming 1 batterypack replacement --- of course by 20 years it will be needing another 30k or whatever of batteries)

I am a huge fan of electric vehicles but the energy storage is not there yet. we need a better method before IC engines are totally phased out.
                              good read

https://electrek.co/guides/tesla-semi/

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X