Engine shudder v. clutch shudder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine shudder v. clutch shudder

Quite a while ago I had my Dual Mass Flywheel replaced with a Solid Mass one when the clutch was replaced. Over time I seemed to be experiencing more and more clutch shudder and presumed it was the result of the SMF.

Recently, a mechanic who was doing something on the vehicle told me one of the front engine mounts had a crack, so I decide to have both front mounts replaced. While doing this he also noticed the rear diff mount was pretty ordinary, so he put a new one in there as well. When he got the front mounts out, the passenger’s side one was completely sheared off and the driver’s side was about 30% cut through – no wonder the engine was shuddering.

Well, the car is totally different to drive now. Not only has 99% of the clutch shudder gone, but I’ve also noticed something else as well. Previously, there was a certain amount of shake when the vehicle was idling – you’d notice it more when the air conditioner cut in and out. That has completely disappeared.

So, the moral of the story is – if you seem to have excessive clutch shudder, take a good look at your engine mounts.

Cheers
    Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Good pick up!
    MY21 NX Pajero
    a few mods to come !

Comment

All cars that come with a DMF are designed to take out some shake and shudder and also help the engine accelerate. When you replace the DMF with a SMF this characteristic gets transfered to the "next softest" thing, in this case engine mounts (all three.) You will also notice that the motor does not rev as quickly but will hold revs better. It also means that your clutch will be able to tow properly without tearing the centre out of your flywheel.

So check your engine mounts regularly, but overall enjoy your pajero as I have only ever own one car with DMF and it too ended up with a SMF and a slight vibration thought he gear selector once changed. However, it changed the drivablity of the car.
      95 White LWB Panda coloured GLS TD28 running 18psi 2inch lift, 2 inch body lift, factory rear LSD maxxis bighorn muddies 25,000klms after total engine rebuild - Club reged Currently around 307,000klms

Daughters - 2003 NP Exceed Silver Bone stoke getting a engine rebuild after a Major overheat (previous owner) - My current project

Comment

Originally posted by oldn64 View Post
        … When you replace the DMF with a SMF this characteristic gets transfered to the "next softest" thing, in this case engine mounts (all three.) …
        Good point

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

I always thought DMF must have been more advanced and much better, but all I've ever heard about them is people getting rid of them for SMF

Comment

I have a NW Manual transmission, and had to have the engine mounts replaced under warranty. The difference was HUGE - it was nice and smooth after the change, but I think that they 'new' mounts may well be on the way out now. Not happy - they don't seem to last very long. These engines must be fairly rough in their operation. But I still love the beast....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X