Jayco fined $75,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jayco fined $75,000

Popular caravan manufacturer Jayco has been ordered by the Federal Court to pay a penalty of $75,000 for mi...

Good to see the ACCC pulling out their finger and doing something and not being the toothless tiger they are with so many other major issues.....

Comment

$75k fine - drop in the bucket for a company like that - the margin on a few vans would cover it at current prices!
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Originally posted by MSF View Post
        Good to see the ACCC pulling out their finger and doing something and not being the toothless tiger they are with so many other major issues.....

I don’t live in Australia but even I’ve heard that your ACCC has less substance than my dead grandmother.
        02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels with Black Bear A/T tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
          $75k fine - drop in the bucket for a company like that - the margin on a few vans would cover it at current prices!
          I thought the same until I read it. That's the fine on ONE caravan. I think they'll be more careful coz their margins won't be $75K per van.

It's not the shitty build quality but their failure to let the customer know they could get a refund since the caravan was unusable.
          =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
          =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post

I don’t live in Australia but even I’ve heard that your ACCC has less substance than my dead grandmother.
            Pretty much,
            And the fact that your dear departed Grandmother would have been loved by many I am sure....

The ACCC are soft cawks - They puff their chest and sprout on about how they will make things right - but in sooo many previous cases - as soon as there is any push back, they fold and back down and explain they will look into it and nothing ever happens....

Comment

Just more validation of the nickname...Junko. I,ve known several owners who have had a bad time trying to get water leaks and quality issues fixed. Wouldnt have one if it was given to me.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
              If you take life too seriously you will never get out alive....

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                Just more validation of the nickname...Junko. I,ve known several owners who have had a bad time trying to get water leaks and quality issues fixed. Wouldnt have one if it was given to me.
                A little overstated I suggest.

Jayco sell in Australia, I believe, something like 50% of all vans, trailers and rec vehicles. This means there will always be issues from time to time but I would think the vast majority are happy with their purchases. I've had a Jayco camper trailer for 5 years and whilst not perfect is a great unit and great value for money. I've done many things to fix the niggles, especially in dust suppression. Service dealers have told me that when it comes to warranty, Jayco are the best of a poor lot.

My issue with them is their appalling lack of desire for customer interface or response. After using my trailer for a few months I wrote to them with a few suggestions, not a complaint. No response whatsovever. If they continue to be arrogant and unresponsive to customers, they'll go like Holden did, IMHO.

Comment

Our 4WD club did a tour of the Jayco factory a few years ago and the guy leading us around said that while they do make off road caravans, they wouldn't be up to the job for what we did.

In other words, they admit that they are the budget end of the market, so you can't expect them to be as robust as the top brands.

But that's no excuse for poor workmanship causing leaks and other issues.
                  2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Comment

Jayco sell in Australia, I believe, something like 50% of all vans, trailers and rec vehicles. This means there will always be issues from time to time

It doesn't mater if there is one issue or a thousand issues it's how the issue is handled that counts.

In other words, they admit that they are the budget end of the market, so you can't expect them to be as robust as the top brands.

They still need to be fit for purpose.

Last edited by BruceandBobbi; 1 week ago.

Comment

Gerry Ryan owns Jayco Caravans
                      Had dealings with him some years back
                      Also owns Mitchelton Wines and other things,,, restaurants etc.
                      NT '10 ARB Bar Lovels-HD Bilsteins TJM Snorkel Three Batteries Winch Ultraguage TPMS Lockup Mate HIKEIT and lots of other stuff

Comment

I have a Jayco poptop, bought at the end of 1999. General finish on the van was only fair when we took delivery. We had a few faults - probably no more than any caravan manufacturer. One of them was bad - the axle was mounted nearly 20 mm off to the left side. The end result of this was that the U bolts had hit and bent the chassis rail. The tyres had 10 mm toe-out and predictably wore out in 18000 km. I took lots of photos of both problems and sent them to Jayco. No response. I sent another letter - no response. In short, over a period of 2 months I had phoned 6 times and left messages, sent 3 faxes and finally I loaded the axle into my trailer and drove to the Jayco factory. The watchman at the gate told me to park over near the sales showroom - so I did that - the trailer was backed right up to the steps so anyone who wanted to get in or out had to step into the trailer.

I asked to see the Service Manager. This time, he was in. When I explained why I had driven 650 km with the axle, he said that it would have been nice if I had told him that I was coming down..... BOOM! Words were said. He then dug down through his in-tray and found 3 out of the 8 messages and faxes I had sent, along with the original letter. We then started talking technically about toe-out. He came straight back to me saying that 'HE was a qualified Mechanical Engineer'. I replied "Great - so am I" and then he settled down and admitted that the van had been assembled wrongly and that ALKO (the axle supplier) would have to fix it. I tried to get Jayco to agree to repair the bent chassis rail, but the repair method he was proposing was not what I called suitable, so we left it as is and I still monitor the rail but it has not gone any worse over the years. A non qualified Engineer would have had no hope against this bloke - he tried everything technical, but luckily I was a match for him . Apart from 10 mm toe in or out (which I consider to be excessive), it was not AlKO' s fault that they assembled the axle wrongly with toe-out instead of toe-in. However, ALKO wore the cost of supposedly fixing the toe-in. The whole attitude of the service manager really riled me. Since then, I have walked around many caravan parks and looked at the tyres on the vans. I have picked up about 10 vans with tyres worn on the inside shoulders - a sign of toe-out. Not all of the vans have been Jayco either. The caravan industry in general is very poor with quality control and they have not improved since the early 2000's either.

To their credit, ALKO eventually replaced the axle at no cost to me (including return freight). The axle still has toe-in, but it is about 5 mm measured at the centre of the tread. The tyres have worn a lot better this time round (I am on the 4th set of tyres), but I still think that they should have zero toe-in. They say that it is because of increased stability of the towed vehicle, but I think it is the way they manufacture the axles - they put a round stub axle on top of a solid square bar and fillet weld it in place. It is a very heavy weld, and the shrinkage as it cools would be enormous. I reckon when they weld the other side, they hope that the shrinkage on that side will pull it back, but it doesn't pull it all the way. Hence residual toe-in or out. Toe in or toe out depends on which way the mount the handbrake cable attachment levers, and of course Jayco in their infinite quality control never bother to measure and check the alignment of the wheels. Rant over - I will now settle back and seethe away...
                        Last edited by erad; 1 week ago.

Comment

Gerry Ryan is one of the countries richest people and good luck to him.
                          As well as the Mitcheton winery, he owns the Nagambie caravan park, among lots of other places.

We had a Dove in the 80s and it was a good little camper.
                          Last edited by Ian H; 1 week ago.
                          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Comment

Originally posted by Swede50 View Post
                            Gerry Ryan owns Jayco Caravans
                            Had dealings with him some years back
                            Also owns Mitchelton Wines and other things,,, restaurants etc.
                            you are correct. It's Jayco USA that is owned by Thor.

I,ve deleted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                              Just more validation of the nickname...Junko. I,ve known several owners who have had a bad time trying to get water leaks and quality issues fixed.
                              +1 here, junko by name, junko by nature. My sister had one for a while, mostly because she is a [email protected] and wouldn't fork out for something decent. Was never 100% from day one.
                              If I were were given one (and I would take it ) I'd flog it off at the first opportunity.

Dicko1
                              how do you like the Telegraph X? We are waiting for delivery of our Plenty X in the next couple of weeks.
                              MY21 NX Pajero
                              a few mods to come !

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X