One hit wonders and others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One hit wonders and others.

I've noticed a rise in 'one hit wonders' that come here asking for advice, people here respond but the OP doesn't return to say thank you or has the problem been resolved.

Examples of 'others' are people here I have sold things to and given things to. I've had one person out of four PM me saying the goods I sold them arrived safely. Of the people I gave things to, three including an OEM NS nudge not one said, 'hey thanks, the parcel arrived'.

The age of entitlement mate. Common courtesy and good manners are going out of fashion. Social media doesnt require either.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
    Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Younger generation (generalisation...ie not all) seem to not have been expected to say please and thank you...they can ask, but have no concept of thanking anyone.

Working with a bunch of Millennial IT people at the moment, and the concept of a "social contract" is foreign to them. Did some reading up and apparently, engaging one on one seem to scare them and they find it nigh on impossible to respond unless they know the answer. Cant even be bothered (apparently it's seen as a waste of their time) to say "Sorry mate, don't know the answer to that, talk to blah"...

Multiple instances where you ask questions of them and, with technology you know they have read it, they just ignore it...yet they can reply or ask questions in other chat windows (MS Teams/Jabber)

I took the time to interact with you, be it a question or helping you, just reply and say "you don't know" or "thanks"....how hard can it be...
      SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork and suspension, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

I find working with the younger generation (new graduates) refreshing. I find every generation including mine has a sense of entitlement.

As it is impossible to find out someones age from one post, generalisations about age simple reinforce prejudices.
        2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 BFG A/T, dual batteries, 35mm lift TJM suspension, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

I find that it's not generations that are entitled, it's that everyone moves through an "age" which sets their entitlement.
          ie.in your 20's you dont think you know anything so dont think you need to interact, in your 30's you think you know everything, in your 40's you realise you know squat, in your 50's you get grumpy, and over that you just don't GAF.

Must be in different professions and different stage of life. I'm in the "grump" phase, I find it frustrating on the whole...some are exemptions, but generally it's hard to keep their attention unless it directly benefits themselves, otherwise they drift off to their phone or TV...or in the case of work, just dont reply/respond. (Then cry foul when they are pulled up on not delivering)

Not sure if your taking the piss or having a go with the prejudices comment...this is just my observation and I always give people the benefit of the doubt...some times multiple times till they are scratched from my "GAF" list...

And in the case of "just one post" or "help" that has been proffered as OP mentions, then it's not age/generation biased...they are just leaches.
          SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork and suspension, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

Australia had a culture once.

Australia has a very large turnover in numbers of outgoing & incoming these days.

The culture you may have known once, i'm not sure what that actually is now days.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Not taking the piss with the comment, just calling it out. Generalisations made on social media about groups of people annoys me as much as people who don't show courtesy as per the OP.
              2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 BFG A/T, dual batteries, 35mm lift TJM suspension, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                Australia had a culture once.

Australia has a very large turnover in numbers of outgoing & incoming these days.

The culture you may have known once, i'm not sure what that actually is now days.
                I do not think it has anything to do with population numbers or migration or generation/age or gender.

I think the problem is most people are in a rush and are after the quick answer/easy fix so they resort to an internet search and jump on the first thing they see, that looks like it might be a solution to their problem.

How many times do we get asked the same question because people cannot be bothered reading through the many posts that answer their question.

Sometimes we do not even get the complete and correct information, and this makes it very hard to help people.

A common problem solving practice that is used when you workshop a problem is to ask 10 relevant questions first and then to list the likely solutions. Then sort through the list of suggested solutions and prioritise the solutions base on the easiest, quickest and cheapest first solutions first.

When you fully understand the problem, the system that is effected and the symptoms then you can come up with a prioritised check list of actions, they used to call this process troubleshooting, but this takes thinking and communication. Most people just want to replace stuff until the problem is solved. We regularly have posts of people that have spent thousands of dollars on parts and labour trying to find the root cause of a problem. Is it because people are not prepared to spend money on getting professional opinions and actions to diagnose a problem?

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

I do not think it has anything to do with population numbers or migration or generation/age or gender.

I think the problem is most people are in a rush and are after the quick answer/easy fix so they resort to an internet search and jump on the first thing they see, that looks like it might be a solution to their problem.

How many times do we get asked the same question because people cannot be bothered reading through the many posts that answer their question.
                  OJ has summed it up perfectly, yet again.
                  Most people have an issue, they do a quick search but not comprehensive. Find a website which is easy enough to sign up to, and they ask a question. Friendly bunch that are around, so they get an answer and lo, no need for the forum or thread anymore - till the next issue arises.

You see the same on social media groups a lot. More there, as people already have an account to begin with.

P.S. : Bringing in migration and culture into this topic is way off the mark IMHO.
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

This is one of the one hit wonders from two days. Ok, maybe two days isn't enough wait time but there have many others.

https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...74#post1099474

This was my reply to the question.

https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...87#post1099487

Comment

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                      This is one of the one hit wonders from two days. Ok, maybe two days isn't enough wait time but there have many others.

https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...74#post1099474

This was my reply to the question.

https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...87#post1099487
                      We cannot expect everyone to be on the forum daily as a condition of posting. I think a week is a reasonable time to expect a reply even if it is just an acknowledgement and thanks for the advice given, followed by statement of what they intend to do next ot what they have found.
                      I am sure we are all guilty of not doing follow-up posts when we should have, life gets in the way and sometimes you just forget.
                      If this is the worse behaviour we get on the forum then we are lucky.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

When you fully understand the problem, the system that is effected and the symptoms then you can come up with a prioritised check list of actions, they used to call this process troubleshooting, but this takes thinking and communication. Most people just want to replace stuff until the problem is solved. We regularly have posts of people that have spent thousands of dollars on parts and labour trying to find the root cause of a problem. Is it because people are not prepared to spend money on getting professional opinions and actions to diagnose a problem?

OJ.
                        Old Jack has this spot on,

I am finding both personally and professionally we have been locked up for 2 years what little patence we had before has been completely eruded. Most turned to social media and instant solutions or answers. When things are not so instant then it is not acceptable. Have a look at what is happening about the kids getting vaccinated. The same people giving the vaccines to the boosted adult are the same as the people that need to give the kids the vaccine so because they cannot get a appointment today it is not good enough.

Similarly when looking at a car problem it is a case of wanting the issue just fixed the fastest way possible, so just replace bits to try and get the instant gratification. thus resolution, but often this is counter productive and thus more costly.

People do not want to spend the time to problem solve the situation properly but more just inject the cash in getting stuff done. It drives me nuts. Trying to tell employees to pause and think through the issue and at least grab another employee to bounce ideas off before going ahead is very hard to achieve these days. I have stated that it is hard to teach troubleshooting to people as it takes patience and thoughtfulness.

Then you move to the normal courteousy and you now have time allotted for no real gain (that they cannot see anyway) what most miss with it is the network and reputation that comes from this. At the end of the day please and thank you is not taught at home or at school at all these days. Respect it wittling away as well so I guess alot of the time we just have to lump it and move on

All I can say is dont change your values because of the others around you. otherwise you will find you become more grumpy and annoyed than you otherwise would.

With regards to your post you might find the spray and hope might be happening here ie they post in multiple places awaiting the most quick answer and they have actually forgotten where they have posted... let water off ducks back go running off and find a great fishing hole

Regards

Oldn64

95 White LWB Panda coloured GLS TD28 rebuilt running 18psi, 3" lift, 2" body lift, factory LSD maxxis bighorn MT - Club reg

Daughters - 2003 NP Exceed Silver, 2" Lift, new race prepped 3.5 v6 (high comp king race bearings, hasting race rings) ported heads & inlet. Rebuilt Auto, extra cooler.

Wifey - 2014 NW GLS White 3.2TD manual, 2" lift, 17" CSA Jackels, Maxxis Razr MT (275/70), bushskiz ubody, ARB Sahara, Smittybuilt 12000lbs Winch, dynema rope, twin batteries, GME tx4100, rear drawers

Comment

Examples of 'others' are people here I have sold things to and given things to. I've had one person out of four PM me saying the goods I sold them arrived safely. Of the people I gave things to, three including an OEM NS nudge not one said, 'hey thanks, the parcel arrived'.

The above have happened over the last six years and nothing to do with Covid.

In December I purchased an item from a member and sent a PM saying thank you, parcel arrived and have done the same with other purchases through the board.

The person I gave the nudge bar to was never seen here again.

Comment

OJ.
                            Different topic, but in my experience it's generally professionals who are the ones throwing parts on cars to find the problem, rather than doing a little research and problem solving their way through. Not always, and we do see professionals here every day helping people, but from what I've seen the stories of people throwing thousands of dollars at problems have spent that money with mechanics and are here because the professionals just haven't solved the problems after all that money.

But yes, I agree that a little politeness goes a long way. But then, I realised today that I hadn't replied or kept up with a question I asked on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Shopping Trolley View Post
                              Not taking the piss with the comment, just calling it out. Generalisations made on social media about groups of people annoys me as much as people who don't show courtesy as per the OP.
                              Champ it started out with a generalisation with a caveat, then backed up with anecdotal evidence from my perspective.
                              Just like on the average people in my age bracket are rich, self entitled, grumpy, blah blah...but not all.
                              What perchance are you "calling it out" as you put it?
                              "It" particularly with respect to millennials, if you google it, is a known phenomena...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X