Inspection cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspection cameras

Hey all. I'm tempted to try one of those usb inspection cameras for things around the house and working on the car.

Noticed there is a fair range in price, and I assume the expected range in quality.

I'm just wondering if anyone has played with the eBay cheaper options around the $30 mark? Not looking for best video quality or anything, but really be able to find oil leaks inside bell housing, dropped bolts inside things etc.

Appreciate any advice

Cheers, Stu

Hey stu,

I have one that I purchased for $75. Yes it does work but the video quality is terrible and the image quality is only a little better. video is 640 x480 pics are 1024 x 768 it really does on give you a general view. I used mine on teh engine rebuild before I tore it down to look at the bores, it was marginal to see the bore marks when looking through the valves. Through the spark plug was impossible.

Secondly as you put the device in the cables twists or when you finally get focus the tool might need to go to the right on the photos but due to it twisting you actually need to move the cable up it becomes quite frustrating when the quality is not good for the images you are looking at. I use mine as a guide not an absolute. I would suggest spend moneys on one that has decent image and video quality, you will find it will help you alot more, so no dont look at the $30 one you will be very disappointed.

Cheers

Oldn64

PS: Mine was good enough though to inspect the timing chain guide on my wifey's NW pajero before purchase, the sales man was very scared when I started pulling my camera and tools out to inspect the car :P
    95 White LWB Panda coloured GLS TD28 rebuilt running 18psi, 3" lift, 2" body lift, factory LSD maxxis bighorn MT - Club reg

Daughters - 2003 NP Exceed Silver, 2" Lift, new race prepped 3.5 v6 (high comp king race bearings, hasting race rings) ported heads & inlet. Rebuilt Auto, extra cooler.

Wifey - 2014 NW GLS White 3.2TD manual, 2" lift, 17" CSA Jackels, Maxxis Razr MT (275/70), bushskiz ubody, ARB Sahara, Smittybuilt 12000lbs Winch, dynema rope, twin batteries, GME tx4100, rear drawers

Comment

Thanks oldn64.

Funny, I thought to Google this after posting here instead of before. I found this video, and this one is much better than I expected.

https://youtu.be/i7g1FsCFr5g

I'll try and find someone else selling the same/rebranded version

Comment

One of the biggest issue you will find troublesome is that they all have a fixed focal point. sometimes you just cannot get the camera in the right place to focus properly, and then with the poor image quality it compounds. Yes that one doesnt look too bad but i dont really want to hold my phone with the hands i sometimes have when dealing with engine work etc :P

But might be an option, would love to see the specs.

Cheers

Oldn64
        95 White LWB Panda coloured GLS TD28 rebuilt running 18psi, 3" lift, 2" body lift, factory LSD maxxis bighorn MT - Club reg

Daughters - 2003 NP Exceed Silver, 2" Lift, new race prepped 3.5 v6 (high comp king race bearings, hasting race rings) ported heads & inlet. Rebuilt Auto, extra cooler.

Wifey - 2014 NW GLS White 3.2TD manual, 2" lift, 17" CSA Jackels, Maxxis Razr MT (275/70), bushskiz ubody, ARB Sahara, Smittybuilt 12000lbs Winch, dynema rope, twin batteries, GME tx4100, rear drawers

Comment

Well, the one in the video looks to be the same one on eBay etc, so I took a punt on one for a grand total of $8 (discount of $5 on eBay). Much cheaper than I was expecting to be spending.

Went for the 5m cable option in case I need to watch something while sitting a bit further away. Not sure I have that need currently, but could be useful

If images are as good as the video I linked to then I'll be happy. Will update on how good it is once it arrives

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X