Maxtrax vs Sand Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtrax vs Sand Track

Anyone got any experience with either of these two products?

www.maxtrax.com.au

and

http://svc175.bne151v.server-web.com/sandtrack.php

They look like they could be pretty useful while out in the soft sand...
    -----------------------
    NS SWB-X, Nudge bar, Towbar, Sunroof, GPS, Rear cam
    -----------------------

Hmm... looked at the pictures of the Sandtacks and asked myself "How much do rubber doormats cost at Big W?"
    Peter
    2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

Have to agree Peter. My four $5 rubber jobbies from Kmart have gotten my NG out of some interesting situations.

Then at the end of the day you flop 'em out so the kiddies can wipe their feet before going in the tent. Too easy.
      Cheers,
      Rob

2007 NS VRX DID Auto - ARB Bullbar, Dual Deep Cycle Batteries, Nightstalker HID's, Family Pack, Tow Bar & Lift, Illuminated Side-Steps, Bluetooth, Neoprene Seat Covers, Mio Digiwalker C520 GPS.
      1989 NG EXE Tdi Manual - Cooper ATR's on 16x8 Sunraysia's, Tough Dog 2" Lift

Comment

Hi rafman,
        I have a pair of the Bushranger Sandtracks. They are extremely durable and will take a heap of punishment. My partner bought me a pair for xmas last year. Haven't had to use them yet but when you are really bogged then i wouldn't want to compromise with something that may or may not get you out. These things are designed to get you out of major bogs. Of course having a Pajero i will probably never have to use them as it will get itself out !!! Next year it will be back to socks and jocks as not much that i need now. Na, always something else to get.
        Regards from Col.
        NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

Thanks Col, I'm certainly hoping that the pajero will get itself out of any kinda trouble... but just in case thought I'd carry something with me. Had a look at the sandtracks, they look pretty bulky and heavy, though the pics of the maxtrax seem like they are pretty bulky too... I've got a snatch strap but find it a pain to always have to rely on another vehicle. Though it did feel good pulling a mates landrover defender out of some trouble.
          -----------------------
          NS SWB-X, Nudge bar, Towbar, Sunroof, GPS, Rear cam
          -----------------------

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I found this one while searching for information about MAXTRAX.

The key to recovering your vehicle from sand or mud with these track type devices is to not spin the wheels. If you do, you'll end up tearing the lugs off them and the tracks will not be as useful.

The Tough Toys website has a pretty cool article on 4wd Sand Tracks where they talk about the very early inventions of these products and how they were used in World War II.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdeg View Post
              Hmm... looked at the pictures of the Sandtacks and asked myself "How much do rubber doormats cost at Big W?"
              I couldn't agree more. Just to weigh in with a supporting opinion. I made myself a pair of recovery tracks using rubber and wire door mats (pic attached) readily available (and cheaply) from hardware and $2 shops. I got mine from Bunnings Warehouse for $8.00 each. I linked them with marine grade steel wire so the stay linked but can be folded up on themselves and stored easily in a plastic crate.

Total cost was about $100 for the pair. Dimensions are about 35cm X 60cm each and I used 4 per track to create a 1.4m track that is 60cm wide. I tie one end to the tow bar so they pull out after I have unbogged myself.

Benefits: Cheap, foldable and easily packed, easy to use, excellent on sand (haven't tried in mud), flexible to follow contours, easy to repair/cheap to replace, use them around campsites to wipe feet and keep sand/mud out of the camper.

Limitations: Can't be used for bridging or digging, don't know how they would perform in mud but they would spread the vehicle weight, may not last as long as Maxtrax (but they are still fine after 3 unboggings and how many times do you get bogged). Probably others but I can't think of them.

My 2 cents worth.

For more input about this check out the following thread. http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=25169
              Attached Files
              Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

A few years back down @ 42 Mile x-ing in SA i saw a couple of old blokes bogged in the sand, we stopped to offer a helping hand.
                All under control they said, they were in the process of filling up a couple of heavy hessian type sand bags (with sand obviously !) to pop under the bogged tyres.
                Thought that was interesting and stayed to watch .
                The old Hilux popped out no dramas, nice & steady, no wheel spin, no heavy foot, easily done.
                So in my Paj lives a couple of these bags also.
                Have not had to use as yet so the enormous cost of $ 0 is not wasted !
                Cheers.
                Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by Pajero_Pete View Post
                  A few years back down @ 42 Mile x-ing in SA i saw a couple of old blokes bogged in the sand, we stopped to offer a helping hand.
                  All under control they said, they were in the process of filling up a couple of heavy hessian type sand bags (with sand obviously !) to pop under the bogged tyres.
                  The old Hilux popped out no dramas, nice & steady, no wheel spin, no heavy foot, easily done.
                  Cheers.
                  I use the same system - eight army sand bags take up no space at all and can be filled with sand, rocks, or whatever is on hand. No great loss if they get damaged. Can also be filled and used to hold down tent guy ropes when it's windy. Cheap, multi-use, expendable and less chance of theft. I've carried them for 10 years and only used them once.
                  NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajero_Pete View Post
                    Cheers.
                    I love this idea. Thanks Pete. A few empty hessians will be standard cargo for me from now on. I would expect they could be useful for mud recovery too if filled with rocks or brush or dryer earth.
                    Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

Good idea mate, multiple use around the camp too!
                      I carry a set of maxtrax and they saved me a lot of grief on one occassion but only just and so I have added 2x 3metre lengths of cheap shade cloth either laid flat in front of vehicle or as extended "bag" and handy for tent floor/entrance and windbreak

I wrap my maxtrax in the black shade clothe to disguise their presence from our light fingered lowlifes!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X