Still laughing!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still laughing!!

I just bought another house on the East Coast of Tasmania.
    Its an old place on a big block and I have started renovating it. One spot of the ceiling next to the fire place had some old water damage so I decided to cut out the damaged piece of the ceiling and replace it, this is what I found up there.....hope the person who "Fixed" this leak doesn't fix brakes on cars

The old paint tins are "1Gallon" so no telling how long they have been there.
    1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
    1953 Morris Minor ute
    1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
    2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
    2003 Ford Transit

Love it - does that mean it only leaks through the ceiling when the paint tin overflows !?!?

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

This is not your everyday stupid

They could of atleast put an overflow on it to outside
      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

You need to be real genius to come up with a fix like that!!
        Few streets down an old man "renovated" his house.
        Took him about a year to make it look nice on the outside.
        Mind you the accentuation is on "look"...
        The rotten window frames were sanded down and filled with plaster, after that a fresh coat of paint.
        The completely rotten gutters and downpipes fixed with duct tape and painted over.
        Asked him one day if it would not be cheaper and easier to simply unclip the old ones and to put new gutters and downpipes in.
        His only comment was: They will last another 30 years, some little rust holes are no reason to waste money on it.
        By the time he was finnished on the inside and had a for sale sale on the fence the windows and gutters already looked like before the "renovation" ROFL

But your solution shows intensive resear on the weather patterns, above average math skills and great engeneering abilities!
        First the rain patters were studied over many years and precisely documented.
        With that info at hand the angle of the roof and the size of the holes were measured and combined with the data from rain patterns a huge database created.
        Extensive simulations took place to validate the collected data and to make sure it matches the real life problem.
        Another databse and simulation was needed to check the correct location of catchment vessels as well as the right angle for any water carrying pipes or other constructions to direct the water into the catchments.
        The hardest must have been to calculate the correct size for the catchments as you need to consider the water being collected, air temperatures and wind conditions to calculate the evaporation times and of course the lifetime of the catchment in those conditions until the point of failure is reached.
        I think the previous owner must have been a doctor or at least technical engeneer to come up with such a good solution.
        Any uneducated person would have just fixed the damn holes ROFL
        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
        Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Downunder35m, love your explanation.
          I don't think he allowed for the 1 in 100 year flood rains that probably happened in the last 50 years or so (probably was a 1 and a half gallon leak) The funny thing is the cause was only an ill fitting bit of flashing of roof to chimney, 5 minute fix.

Tom
          1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
          1953 Morris Minor ute
          1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
          2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
          2003 Ford Transit

Comment

I have seen he most amazing "fixes" while working casual for a plumber.
            One guy complaint about leaking gutters, while in fact the water was already running down the inside walls of the house...
            He fixed the leaks ok with duct tape and bitumen but never though about removing the rubbish from the downpipes.
            So most of the water during decent rain falls flooded the whole roof unil it foud a way down.
            One of his ingeniuos solutions for the mean time was to drill a hole into the ceiling and to glue a funnel with a hose around it.
            During massive rainfalls he connected a garden hose to the funnel and let water run into the sink.
            It is like the tree problem:
            Some people just can't see the beautiful forest because there are too many trees covering the view LOL
            '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
            Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X