Which New Android Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which New Android Phone

My wife and I have Samsung Galaxy 2 Phones for about 3 yrs now, we are looking to Update them but we are undecided about which one is the best for our needs? I've narrowed it down to SG3, SG4mini, HTC one mini. We don't want a 5" phone as they are too big and expensive. We are with Virgin/Optus atm but hope to get onto the Telstra Network, maybe through Telechoice as they have some great deals coming soon. Has anyone got one of these phones that they can share their opinion on?
    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

I have had the SG3 and even though its not a 5" screen its within a mm or 2 of the SG4. So if its size thats the issue go with the mini's.

On another matter Optus sold alot of its towers and is in the process or upgrading/installing 4G towers so coverage is a bit iffy atm. If you can prove that your data coverage is not good around home they might give you some months for free.
    1994 NJ GLS Pajero 3L Auto, Tigerz11 steel rack and awning, Alloy BB, Yokohama Geolander AT/S, Narva Driving Lights, Soon to be lifted!

Comment

I went from a crappy little galaxy ace to a galaxy S3 a few months ago.
      I am loving using the S3. Great phone....
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

I'm waiting for the Motorolla moto X to be released here as it is a small form factor with good specs.
        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, roof racks otherwise stock as a rock.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
        Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.

Comment

Size is something that matters but here in AU people are still reluctant to use the 5" devices.
          In the US and Europe they are more then common already.
          But if size in small is important you can't go wrong with the S4 mini.
          If you want upgrade I don't really see the point in a S3.
          The HTC is not bad either, although firmware wise the S4 has more support and IMHO more built in features.
          I used the big S4 and was a bit turned off at the beginning due to the size but now I just love it, reading books, playing games or just checking the star constellations while fishing - just nicer on the big screen.
          The standard "life cycle" for Samsung and others is about 18 months, after that the newer model only get proper updates and the older ones often only through projects like Cyanogenmod.
          So investing in a phone that is already on the market for over a year is not really an upgrade anymore.
          '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
          Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
            Size is something that matters but here in AU people are still reluctant to use the 5" devices.
            In the US and Europe they are more then common already.
            But if size in small is important you can't go wrong with the S4 mini.
            If you want upgrade I don't really see the point in a S3.
            The HTC is not bad either, although firmware wise the S4 has more support and IMHO more built in features.
            I used the big S4 and was a bit turned off at the beginning due to the size but now I just love it, reading books, playing games or just checking the star constellations while fishing - just nicer on the big screen.
            The standard "life cycle" for Samsung and others is about 18 months, after that the newer model only get proper updates and the older ones often only through projects like Cyanogenmod.
            So investing in a phone that is already on the market for over a year is not really an upgrade anymore.
            The iPhone is Still the Most Popular phone in the World, it's small size doesn't seem to hold it back? as most Kids will say, they can text with 1 hand and drive with the Other ! The reason I'm not going with a SG4 or HTC one or iPhone is they are Too Expensive at the moment, All the New Phones are Just around the corner early next year, SG5, iP6 plus many others. Also I find Big Phones Don't fit the Top Pocket of my Shirts ! I Love my SG2 but would have liked something a Little bigger, 4.5"? Maybe I'll wait until SG5 comes out and Get a Ripper Deal on the SG4 and Buy Shirts with Bigger Pockets? I like the HTC as they Are Tough Phones and appear to be one of the best atm ?
            NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Hi hobbo.this is a little different. A Google nexus 4. You would have to buy outright at around $300 then go on a boost prepaid $40 plan. Boost is Telstra and to get the same deal you have to be on a $100 Telstra plan. ( unlimited calls and 3gb data.)
              The nexus 4 is unreal as has no brand bloatware or phone carrier bloatware. It just works as Google intended. You get the latest software updates, mine has updated to kit kat already.
              The nexus 5 has been released so if you can get a nexus 4 you should be able to get a hot deal.

Comment

Originally posted by sub888 View Post
                A Google nexus 4.
                What he said
                MY12 Plat II diesel auto, factory rear locker, tow pack, spare wheel lift, MMCS override, Tunelink audio steaming & too many plans and not enough $

Comment

Nowa days i would purchase a phone outright and find a prepaid sim that suites your needs .... this would be the next little beauty I would be purchasing

http://www.mobicity.com.au/sony-xper...l#.Uqu25fQW12E
                  2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

If size is a matter I'd be looking at the nexus 4 also but I think they have a battery on the small side maybe? If you are happy with the size of a sg3 then the 4 is hardly any different. Also the nexus 5 is a similar size and can be bought for $3-400.

The bloatware annoys me. Google set up android then samsung/htc etc put their skin over it then telstea do theirs and you end up with unnecessary apps.
                    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                      Nowa days i would purchase a phone outright and find a prepaid sim that suites your needs .... this would be the next little beauty I would be purchasing

http://www.mobicity.com.au/sony-xper...l#.Uqu25fQW12E
                      My last three phones have been outright purchase on Telstra, will do the same again. Currently have the Xperia Z, feel it is a fraction big - but I'm getting used to it. :-)
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        My last three phones have been outright purchase on Telstra, will do the same again. Currently have the Xperia Z, feel it is a fraction big - but I'm getting used to it. :-)
                        I also have an Xperia Z, on a plan with Tel$tra, not outlandish tho. I specifically got this phone because of the water and dust proof nature of it, as long as you put the plugs back in.
                        Had it for a while now, beats the socks off my wife's iPhone 5

Chris
                        2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.

Comment

If you really want to research Android phones, have a look at

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/140

Plenty of in depth discussion and opinions.
                          I'm in a similar position and mindset to you. Currently have a HTC Desire that's over 3 years old, and its size is perfect for carrying around in a belt pouch. But getting a little long in the tooth and without "rooting" it, it's still only Android 2.3. Still makes decent phone calls though ;-/

Was looking at the HTC One mini, but it's a sealed unit like the iPhone, so no additional memory expansion or removable battery (a deal-breaker for me!).
                          Newest thoughts are the Galaxy S4 Mini (but could do without the Bloatware), or perhaps the Sony Experia S, although I haven't researched the latter fully; it may be only 3G and also unable to be expanded when I checked its specs on Sony's website.

Goodluck with the search!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckjero View Post
                            If you really want to research Android phones, have a look at

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/140

Plenty of in depth discussion and opinions.
                            I'm in a similar position and mindset to you. Currently have a HTC Desire that's over 3 years old, and its size is perfect for carrying around in a belt pouch. But getting a little long in the tooth and without "rooting" it, it's still only Android 2.3. Still makes decent phone calls though ;-/

Was looking at the HTC One mini, but it's a sealed unit like the iPhone, so no additional memory expansion or removable battery (a deal-breaker for me!).
                            Newest thoughts are the Galaxy S4 Mini (but could do without the Bloatware), or perhaps the Sony Experia S, although I haven't researched the latter fully; it may be only 3G and also unable to be expanded when I checked its specs on Sony's website.

Goodluck with the search!
                            Thanks for the advice guys, I had a look on the Whirlpool Forum, Boy, Now I am Really Confused,lol, I think I'll wait until the SG5 is released and get a Great Price on a SG4, I'd like a Good Camera, Screen, Simple to use, Good Battery Life, Big Storage and Reliability. The SG4 mini is Not Cheap really so I'll do as you say, Buy Outright and Go Boost Prepaid.

Comment

I had an htc one, one thing to remember when buying a phone- make sure it has a physical button on it, otherwise you will forever be turning it on by the power button on top to get it out of sleep mode. It was a great phone otherwise. Alsoyou will have trouble getting a good in car holder, i couldnt find a decent one for mine.

Agreed big phones are a handful. I went back to an iphone, i like iphones, i just detest itunes and the quality of the sound from them, they compress the bejesus out of your music. And they dont play all media file types.

Problem solved by getting an android tablet for everything other than phone calls and text.

Get a samsung s3 from vodaphone $30 a month, or try cash converters and unlock it
                              2008 VRX 25TH anniversary with lots of extras
                              GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X