Solar power for an Engel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar power for an Engel

Has anyone had any experience with solar power for an Engel? I have just picked up an Engel 40 litre fridge and don't really have room for a second battery in the front of my NL.

tia

Whats the power usage of the Engel ?

I'd imagine more than an average solar panel of an appropriate size to fit in the Paj could deliver
    "Percussive Maintenance : The fine art of whacking the crap out of something to get it to work again"

Comment

If your running a fridge you really need a second battery.
      If you really couldn't do a second battery and ran the fridge off your starter to be safe you'd want at least a 100W panel, which is going to cost around $800. But what happens if your camping with your fridge and it's cloudy, the solar panel will be of no use and you'll have a flat starter. Compared to the cost of solar panels your better off with a second battery, even with a second battery you may still need solar to keep it topped up but solar doesn't come cheap.

Comment

Thanks, the engel draws a max 2.5 amps according to the pamphlet that came with it. Might have to see if I can get a box to hold a second battery and get an in car charger for it.

Comment

Hi Sparkman,

Do you have an indication of how long you will be using it. How many days do you expect to run the fridge non-stop.

Another suggestion, although not best choice due to the type of battery used etc etc, is to use one of those power packs/starters which come with a 12v plug. You can re-charge with an in-car charger or a solar panel to give them some kind of charge during the day.
          NX Exceed

Comment

Just some food for thought. Battery in Pajero > 70AmpHour. Worst case full time Engel running = 2.5Amps. Run battery to 1/2 capacity max = 35AmpHours -> should be safe to run fridge only for 35/2.5 hours or ~14hours. Plus travel in a group to make sure no problem! I've used a single battery in my old NL for 3 years with no flat battery issues (Engel 39ltr then a Waeco 50ltr) for our weekend trips around the place, plus the Simpson on a 14 day run. I have only had trouble with my new NP when we camped at WoodsPoint and I hadn't put a bypass switch for the radio, plus still had door lights in. Listening to CD's (ignition in AUX running the fancy display plus who knows what), doors open for 8 hours, the next mornign starting was dodgy without a jump from (I'm so ashamed) the mates Hilux. Have put the bypass switch in now to enable radio only operation without key, plus taken 4 globes out of doors (4 * 5watts).
            see what the reaction is
            bernard
            2003 NP DID GLS Auto, 50mm Iron Man Suspension, ARB BBar, Chinese winch, custom fridge/equipment rack, Rhino RoofBars and alum TGM roof rack, UHF CB, Bridgstone D697 265/70-16, Safari Snorkel, Polyair

Comment

Well I lashed out and ordered a Flyer and a 100 ah battery from http://sidewinder.com.au Got a great deal from the owner, should be here later this week.

Comment

Hi Spakman,
                Your 100ah battery will be way over the top, but it does give you a huge running time. I have a 40 ah Sealed lead acid battery and will be using it now as a second battery rather than go through the hassles of a complete 2nd battery install in the NT we are getting tomorrow. This battery will run a fridge for 2 days providing the fridge is cycling on and off. I have an Engel dc to dc 12v battery charger and I intend to use this as a de-facto 2nd battery controller. The only concern I have is the wiring to the 12v accessory outlet in the back, but I will probably upgrade this to a marine type plug with heavy wiring.
                Lindsay
                Landcruiser 200 series 2012 Diesel VX with similar set up to the Paj.
                New Jayco Sterling van 23.72.1 bought December 13
                Have now sold our 2010 MY10 GLS Auto DID,Cool Silver.
                Home made rear shelf, provision for 2nd battery in dicky seat space, roof bars, nudge bar and Varta driving lights . Other Toys: 1971 MGB & Benson Clubman Kart, Boat out of use at the moment. 25 ft caravan bought Feb 2010. Lots of touring to come. More hobbies than time allows.

Comment

Originally posted by spakman View Post
                  Has anyone had any experience with solar power for an Engel? I have just picked up an Engel 40 litre fridge and don't really have room for a second battery in the front of my NL.

tia
                  Why dont you really have room for a second battery???????.
                  Daryl
                  Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
                  Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.

Comment

I also just bought an engel and I am sure it says in handbook not to run direct of a charger or solar panel.
                    It does say it is solar friendly in regards to its 0.5 to 2.5 ah usage.
                    The next size fridge uses up to 4.5 ah.

Honky

Comment

Originally posted by spakman View Post

tia
                      Buy a thumper expensive but will do the job and you can take it out as well.
                      http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Thumper-75-Am...item3a55d8228f
                      Formerly 1998 NL Pajero Sold*******
                      2007 BF MK11 302 BOSS GT VK4LQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X