Driving technique...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving technique...

I seem to recall on the old forum there was a discussion about using your left foot on the break when you lost traction. Does this work? With open diffs it would be nice if this does actually work. Can someone explain this in a little more detail pls.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

I use the technique a little when I'm playing around on my track (at the farm).

My understanding is that it works in much the same (but different) way to traction control, in that the brakes are applied to reduce the amount of slip/drive to the wheel/s with little traction, and which will causively send drive to the opposite wheel (with traction. Except with traction control the brakes are electronically applied to the respective wheel/s, where as applying the brakes manually applies a 60/40 split (or there abouts) to all wheels, and puts more strain on the driveline. You should only gently apply the brakes, as forcing the pedal down will achieve nothing but to wear you pads out rather quickly.

It works well with the LSD fitted to the Mitsu models, helps to 'tighten' the LSD, which may allow you to clamber yourself through a difficult section. The handbrake has a more efficient effect, thought prolonged use will wear it out (like mine has).

Cheers,
    Jayden
    NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Thanks Jayden. I'll give the handbrake a go next time.
      Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

Just thinking about this a little more... If you apply the handbrake it is only going to affect the rear traction. Is there anything that can be done to help out loss of traction on the front (apart from wheel placement, momentum etc)?

Comment

Originally posted by Endorphin View Post
          Just thinking about this a little more... If you apply the handbrake it is only going to affect the rear traction. Is there anything that can be done to help out loss of traction on the front (apart from wheel placement, momentum etc)?
          A very little application of the left foot on the brake will stop all the drive being transferred to the wheel that has no traction, whether it front or rear. It is a technique that requires some finesse, but works extremely well. Never used the handbrake as LF has far more sensitivity.
          NL Pajero,F&R airlockers, reduction gears, Ironman susp, ARB bullbar, Tigerz winch, Uniden UHF, roolite driving lights, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib &, BFG KM2' tyres

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Thanks Allan. Will give it a go as well.

Comment

With a LSD, if one wheel is off the ground it will spin. A LSD needs some resistance on the non gripping wheel to make it work. Applying the handbrake a few notches causes some resistance to the slipping wheel, which then has a torque multyplying effect of about 10:1 to the gripping wheel, which then provides drive....
              Using the footbrake is not a good idea as this also brakes the front wheels, preventing forward movement.

Cheers....
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X