Insurance vs paying yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance vs paying yourself

The misses sideswiped a pole getting into her work car park last night. It’s got a little damage. Do I bother with insurance or just sort it out? Will need a flare and the rear drivers section of the bumper. I’m thinking it will be well over my excess so thinking more towards insurance.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    2012 Pajero Activ.. ARB Bar, LED Driving ights, TJM Coils and Shocks, TJM Snorkel. Dominator winch. BFG KM2 265/70/17 Stedi Led fog lights and DRL's. Icom UHF.

That's what its for. I wrote a car off, bought a new car 30K more, and paid the same premium. Though my insurance company would bruise me of decline an offer.

You are in their stats of profitability, and if your have been paying for years and had no claim as I had, feel good about using your insurance.

Comment

Steve879, I would think that's a couple of hundred in second hand parts (could well be wrong) but a few hours in removing and replacing if you do it yourself. You could locate the parts at a local wrecker and get a clear quote.

If you (or the insurer) are paying for someone else to do it, it's quite a bit more money. But a lot less of your time. So if you aren't into DIY, go with insurance.
      =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
      =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

If you have "rating 1 for life", no brainer, pay the excess & get it fixed properly.

If the claim is going to impact your "no claim rating" (usually by a couple of years worth), work out how much extra the insurance premiums will be for the next few years, add the excess & decide if worth claiming. It may also impact any other policies you have, so check that also.

Get a crash repairer to give you a estimate - you may be surprised how much the "little damage" will cost to fix. There looks to be a ding in the guard + one or two flares + the bumper (unless it clips back in?) + clips & bits + paint + labour + overhead, etc.The crash guys on here would know more than me, but I would think about $2k for new parts done properly.

If sourcing secondhand parts, note there a two different silver colours used on the Paj, depending on year of build (Cool Silver & Sterling Silver) - paint code is on the build plate in engine bay. Also note there may be slight variations in colour that may show up when the parts are fitted.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I agree with everything here, the more I look at it the more costs I see. Finding parts in the correct colour or having to get them painted will head straight past the excess. Last claim was back in 2007 when my wife wrote off our commodore, I’ll ring Shannon’s tomorrow and see what they say.
          2012 Pajero Activ.. ARB Bar, LED Driving ights, TJM Coils and Shocks, TJM Snorkel. Dominator winch. BFG KM2 265/70/17 Stedi Led fog lights and DRL's. Icom UHF.

Comment

I reckon there is about $4K to $5K at least for that to go through insurance once you factor in the repair to the quarter panel and painting the quarter, door, bumper and flares to blend in the metallic paint...

Or, if you can put up with the quarter panel 'dent" - then source the two pieces of the flares in the same colour from a wrecker and fit it up yourself and be out of it for probably $300.

Comment

Originally posted by MSF View Post
              I reckon there is about $4K to $5K at least for that to go through insurance once you factor in the repair to the quarter panel and painting the quarter, door, bumper and flares to blend in the metallic paint...
              As MSF says here, might be more than you expect.

Silver, i all but ripped the door of a work ute, backed up & right rear door was open into the side of house

I knew the panel beater he straightened it which was a feat for mankind, the painter was experienced friend of his son, man by 3.00am the day before i went back to work, I had worked out, it's a tricky colour
              I told the boss after it was fixed
              As Jaffles says, that's why you pay insurance, don't stress & let them worry about it, they'll pay $30 an hour labour you'll probably pay $80 + GST

But it would be worth discussing what will happen to your premium, why not be informed ?.
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Beware I have had much less damage after which my low fuel light stopped working properly. The other issue is that it seems something has happened to a fuel tank so that when I go uphill the car may stop even if I think there should be 20-25l. So I may stuck uphill and after that adding 60-65l to a tank. That thing which I really hate now. So before you go fixing check how car behaves with low fuel. If problems you may also mention them to be fixed. Take jerry can with you just in case

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X