Leather Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Seats

On my exceed the leather seats on the drivers side have gone a little hard and stiff, passenger side also but not as much, ive been using the armoral leather stuff on them but it hasnt made them soften at all and i know that sooner or later it will crack, then peel away and the seats are done........

Any ideas what i could use???
    2004 NP Exceed, 3.8

Its pretty tricky cleaning This Leather, I wouldn't use armoral as it tends to Dry Out the Leather and cause Cracks. I used Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Foam/Spray on. Do a small area at a time using the brush provided then wipe off Immediately, repeat a few times to get clean before moving to new area. Lots of Elbow Grease and Time needed but it Looks Great.
    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

the amoral one i was using was called leather conditioner, but it just doesnt do anything other than make the leather look newer, it doesnt actually soften it up
      the leather is really clean from what i can see, its just i guess the last owner parked it in the sun and the flat section of the front seats seems to be hardened from the sun
      2004 NP Exceed, 3.8

Comment

there are heaps of leather conditioning products on todays market from cheap to expensive, its a matter of spending that little extra to get the better gear. also there are leather products designed for leather jackets / shoes etc that seem to work quite well. pop into an auto store and check out the variety of . i use a Maguires product with comes in form of a cream that you squirt out of its container and onto a soft rag , it keeps my NM leather seats soft and near new looking.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Yep agree with Dolphin grab yourself the Maguires as he, I've been using it from new & the seats are in perfect condition
          VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
          NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

thanks guys, ill head down to grab some later on
            2004 NP Exceed, 3.8

Comment

Another great product is Auto Glum leather care balm.

Comment

leather conditioning products might work on a leather equipped 50's chev, but modern cars usually have plastic coated leather to make it easier to look after for the general public.

Just requires a wipe over with warm soapy water. Any chemicals, or buffing with polishing cloths is just going to wear away that top plastic coating, where the leather is then exposed and starts to react to the elements.

Originally posted by 04exceed View Post
                the amoral one i was using was called leather conditioner, but it just doesnt do anything other than make the leather look newer, it doesnt actually soften it up
                the leather is really clean from what i can see, its just i guess the last owner parked it in the sun and the flat section of the front seats seems to be hardened from the sun
                correct on both points, leather conditioners wont do anything to help it because theres a top layer of plastic protecting it. Notice when you tip some water on the seat it just sits on top, rather than soak in?

Leather in cars which spend most there time in the shade or outdoors with windows down seem to last a long time regardless of cleaning rituals. The ones parked out in the sun windows up the leather falls apart no matter what you do.
                Last edited by Mitsu Miyagi; 01-12-13, 12:22 PM.
                2005 NP GLX Pajero 3.8L 5sp auto 198,000km

Comment

Hmmm! Fair enough.. In my NM the leather is like new. I rub the conditioner in by hand you can see & feel it working into the leather I then wipe excess off.. I'd be really surprised if mine had a plastic coating! Later models I can't say Bottom line is it works good enough for me the Paj is 11 years old & the seats are perfect.

Untitled by gus_paj, on Flickr

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                    Yep agree with Dolphin grab yourself the Maguires as he, I've been using it from new & the seats are in perfect condition
                    Proof is in the Pudding, those seats are Beautiful ! I'll be using Maguires from now on.
                    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

when i use to buy all that stuff years ago, i would use the Oakwood 2 step product. Anything that sprays on and wipes off in 1 step has always left me wondering, how do you clean the contaminants then seal the leather at the same time?......

regarding coated leather, its a little disappointing that no-one wants to listen. maybe its because im new here?

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/leather-care-blog

My father spent $1500 extra on his new audi for "paint protection". When i asked why, he said "i had it done on my last car and the paint was great when i sold it" . Well all the used cars ive owned with twice the age & km's look shiny too and they dont get much more than a wash once a month & polish once a year. Maybe its just a 'feel good' buy, and ive gotta admit, those leather conditioners smell pretty damn good
                      Last edited by Mitsu Miyagi; 02-12-13, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I don't think for a minute no one is listening Miyagi & has nothing to do with how long you have been a member

What your post did is made me read the link you attached.. Problem is it's written by them on their product as in the case with many others all are going to push/market the product they make as the best..

All I'm saying is I've used the Maguiar's Cleaner-conditioner for years & apply it twice a year or after an outback trip the seats don't get slippery they haven't cracked & are soft.. If the seats were getting ratty or going hard I would've stopped using it years ago..

Again it's my opinion that the Maguirer's product does what they say as it has been in my case.

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

wont argue that meguiars products are great

i got given an assorted meguirs pack as a pressie, and have methodically used the swirlX remover & 'deep crystal wet look wax' on all my cars and wont use anything else

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X