Intercooler protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler protection

Had a look at the "protection" offered to the intercooler on the NS. I really wouldn't trust it to protect the intercooler bashed against a rock with two tonnes of machine pushing down on it.

Ridiculous place to put it in my opinion. Comments as to why...?

Two thoughts. Firstly a bigger better bash plate. Has anyone bought/built one that has been effective. I've read in other forums that TJM have one for an NM/MP. Does anyone have one? Is it any good?

Secondly (and probably absurdly) has anyone though of relocating it to the front/top like the young hoons in their turbo fours that scream around my town. You could then get a custom bonnet scoop....maybe a blow off valve......and 32's with 20 profile tyres...... Probably ridiculously expensive anyway.
    Cheers,
    Rob

2007 NS VRX DID Auto - ARB Bullbar, Dual Deep Cycle Batteries, Nightstalker HID's, Family Pack, Tow Bar & Lift, Illuminated Side-Steps, Bluetooth, Neoprene Seat Covers, Mio Digiwalker C520 GPS.
    1989 NG EXE Tdi Manual - Cooper ATR's on 16x8 Sunraysia's, Tough Dog 2" Lift

Bonet scoop, 3" lowering kit, oversized exhaust - now you iz talkin bro

I'm looking at similar at the moment. I'm waiting to see what the arb bullbar does to add protection down to the sump guard. On yours did they install plate between the bullbar and sump, or did they just put in light plate to the intercooler guard?

Alternatively I'm considering bolting on some heavy 4 - 5mm stainless plate with some ventilation cut in. You would be able to spec up an intercooler to fit the gap on the driver side of the motor, but piping it up would be a interesting task! Why on earth they put it down in front ready and waiting for impact is beyond me as well...
    Last edited by Eastie; 07-08-07, 06:28 PM.
    NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Eastie View Post
      I'm waiting to see what the arb bullbar does to add protection down to the sump guard. On yours did they install plate between the bullbar and sump, or did they just put in light plate to the intercooler guard?
      I've got a picture of the underneath from the side - PM me your email and I'll send it.

It's just a flimsy aluminium looking thing. Probably what was on there from factory. I'd think even a sharp stick would be able to smash it in.
      Cheers,
      Rob

2007 NS VRX DID Auto - ARB Bullbar, Dual Deep Cycle Batteries, Nightstalker HID's, Family Pack, Tow Bar & Lift, Illuminated Side-Steps, Bluetooth, Neoprene Seat Covers, Mio Digiwalker C520 GPS.
      1989 NG EXE Tdi Manual - Cooper ATR's on 16x8 Sunraysia's, Tough Dog 2" Lift

Comment

From a 4wd perspective it's a terrible spot but from a performance perspective it's in the perfect spot, plenty of cool fresh air flowing in and no heat soak from the engine. The intercoolers mounted on top of the motor suffer from heat soak and don't perform as well.

Comment

Rob, Ring Arthur on 32198340 A/H
          Errol. NW 3.2 GLX Auto. Nudge Bar, Side steps, 265/65/17 Bridgstones, 265/70/17 Cooper M/T 2" lift King springs, Extra 60 lt. fuel tank.

Comment

Rob - I ended up having one made by brown davis in melbourne. 3mm electroplated mild steel with a decent steel mesh welded in. They did a few mods in development and testing but it's now all finished. Ended up with slightly more air flow than the original when measured on a vane anemometer. Pics and more info here: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...read.php?t=753
            NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Something like this
              Attached Files
              03 DiD, PWR FMIC, 3" Exhaust, DP Chip, 2" lift Bilsteins, IPF 400. 126 kw at the wheels (soon to be 150)

Comment

Working...
              X