Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They are apparent not recovery hooks (NP model)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They are apparent not recovery hooks (NP model)?

Hi,

I vaguely read in this forum in the past about how strong the hooks are (on the NP models). The manual stated it was for pulling vehicles weighing less than the Paj. A written (formal) reply from Mitsubishi stated it was NOT for recovery.

So, does it mean I need to get a bullbar (which has integrated recovery hooks)? How about the rear hooks?

Anybody can comment / share their experience in this matter?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan, been down this track before. No you don't need a Bullbar to retrieve your NP from the front! All you need is a bridal set up. It is a shorter strap that is connected to the two recovery points & your snatch'em strap is linked in the middle,{& yes they are strong enough to retrieve this way} All's good, less stress to your chassis pulling from two points.

As for retrieval from the rear, you can hook up to the towbar, "too easy"

"Have a go" Cheers Gary
    Dual Battery
    80Ltr Waeco
    91Ltr Longrange Tank
    3" Lovells/Bilstein
    3” Exhaust
    Winch
    NP 05 DID

Comment

That's ridiculous....When Mitsubishi wanted to disprove the rumors that the NM/NP chassis would distort when snatched, they went out, bogged an NP and recovered it several times, measuring the force required. And they used....

The hooks welded to the chassis on the front....And they snatched using only one....There was no measurable chassis distortion and the hooks did not fail...

The tow points on the rear are NOT to be used for recovery but the front ones are supposed to be fine...see the article attached (From the old forum)

Peter
      Attached Files
      2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

Thanks

Hi Gary and Peter, thanks heaps for the comments and that test info as well.

I think it is pathetic Mitsubishi refuses to formally provide the info on the strength yet conducted the tests to convince us, the buyers/ users, on how strong those hooks are.

Does it mean, then we'll use the hooks, but in case something goes wrong, they can easily point out that we don't comply to the instruction manual???

Anyway, I agree that I suppose for a recovery or two, on not too hard conditions, and with the right recovery technique, those hooks should be strong enough.

I'll see what they say if I reply to their email re. their note that those hooks are basically for what the manual states, which is far less than what those tests were.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Comment

Hi Jonathan, this PDF is from Mitsubishi's Web site {Team Pajero} Page 21 for recovery info.
          A few things in this PDF are questionable Re;highlift jack.

Cheers Gary
          Last edited by Garygls; 21-08-07, 10:33 PM.
          Dual Battery
          80Ltr Waeco
          91Ltr Longrange Tank
          3" Lovells/Bilstein
          3” Exhaust
          Winch
          NP 05 DID

Comment

It's official, they are NOT offroad recovery hooks

Hi, I inquired this on mitsu website and got an email reply which stated that Mitsu only supports what is written in the Manual in regards to the strength and recommended use of the hooks on Paj. At least in the case of NP, the hooks can be used to tow vehicles of weight lesser than the Paj's.

I reconfirmed via email and got a call basically stating, they only support their claim as written in the manual.

It is rather disappointing. After all Paj is a really great car, and at least on the NM onwards, to date it is still at the very forefront of technology (chassis/ monocoque design), MATT on all Paj level (not just the top model), good ground clearance, high/low gear, lockable diffs (centre only on NP) as standard, so in short a true 4WD. But with no reliable recovery hooks it makes it a little bit disadvantaged. I suppose on the older models the hooks can be bolted right to the chassis.

So, seems bullbar with winch and strong towbar is the only way to have strong recovery points?

Although in writing all of the above, I reckon for light to medium 4WDing, if once in a while I get stuck, I'd expect those hooks to withstand the recovery attempts.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by jm2004 View Post
              So, seems bullbar with winch and strong towbar is the only way to have strong recovery points?
              I think you would have to be very careful of recovery points on bullbars as all of the Paj's have Airbags so there is a 'crush' section in the bullbar mounting system that is designed to deform in low speed impacts so that he airbags do not go off when they shouldn't.

As I stated above the front hooks are much stronger than the rear tie down points so at the rear you would use the heavy duty tow bar to snatch from.

Perhaps email Mitsu a copy of the article I posted that they wrote and ask them for an opinion?

Peter
              2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X