Fitting a platform to crossbars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a platform to crossbars

Well as much as I'd like a Alloy platform on a backbone type system, I really can't justify it at the moment. Currently I've got a cheapo steel basket from super retail or somewhere like that fitted but has all but rusted out to a set of thule crossbars the aero/wing type ones fixed with U bolt kit to suit. I'm just knocking up a steel platform with 20mm rhs frame and a mesh floor with a couple cross braces, 1600 by 1000mm in a bit of a rush as going camping in a fortnight.

The platform I'm making up will be approximately 20mm deeper so the current U bolt kit will not suit, but I was wondering how other ie commercial platforms are fitted to cross bars. Are they fixed down with the channel nuts to fit the 't' track section of the top of the bar. If so how many fixing points do they have? The steel rack I'm building will come in around 25Kg and only intend to carry somewhere approximately 30Kgs on it.

What I'm trying to ask is it suitable to fit a platform down to the top T track of the cross bars using channel nuts and a matching bolts to suit the channel nut?
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, roof racks otherwise stock as a rock.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
    Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.

that's how I fitted brackets to hold the 100mm pipe I use as fishing rod holder. Has done a lot of k's with no issue (and I only have Aldi cross bars !) Obviously a basket is a lot bigger but you could put a bolt or two toward the centre of the cross bars as well as the ends.
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent catch can, Boos bash plates, Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, fridge slide, kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, more to come...

Comment

IMO As long as you use the specified T nut/bolt for the cross bar and don't exceed the load rating of the cross bars etc. you should be OK. Don't drill holes through the cross bar to get fixings.
      Many vehicles carry two kayaks of > 25kg x 2 on those types of crossbars.
      The more T bolt fixings the better - redundancy. But I reckon 4 per cross bar could be plenty.

Comment

I have the Rola Titan Mk2 1500x1200mm alloy roof tray, it is fitted to the cross bars using two channel bolts per bar. It only has provision for bolting to two cross bars but you can add more, see https://titantray.com/trays/ for mounting details. The tray weighs 18kg. I have fitted it to tradie style square section Rhino rack cross bars I had from my previous vehicle, the mounting points slide to suit the bar spacing. So far I have found the channel system to be versatile. You get the 1500x1200 platform for around $550 on special so if you already have the cross bars it's much cheaper than one of the backbone systems.

Comment

Thanks everyone, seems like channel nuts are indeed the go then.

Originally posted by Wazza999 View Post
          I have the Rola Titan Mk2 1500x1200mm alloy roof tray, it is fitted to the cross bars using two channel bolts per bar. It only has provision for bolting to two cross bars but you can add more, see https://titantray.com/trays/ for mounting details. The tray weighs 18kg. I have fitted it to tradie style square section Rhino rack cross bars I had from my previous vehicle, the mounting points slide to suit the bar spacing. So far I have found the channel system to be versatile. You get the 1500x1200 platform for around $550 on special so if you already have the cross bars it's much cheaper than one of the backbone systems.
          Hey Wazza, Unless thing have changed can't get a backbone system to fit the swb off the shelf, so would have had to fab something up, it is something I have been meaning to do for sometime just haven't got to it. So for the moment I'm just making my own steel platform up to fit to the existing cross bars, should come in short of 25kg in weight and so far has only cost me about a $100 bucks in materials, some welding gas and my time.
          NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, roof racks otherwise stock as a rock.

Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.

Comment

Just back on this, anyone know off hand what size channel nut is needed to the top channel recess of the rhino aero cross bars?

Comment

Originally posted by craka View Post
              Just back on this, anyone know off hand what size channel nut is needed to the top channel recess of the rhino aero cross bars?
              Unistrut 'half nuts' will fit.

1/4" thick x 3/4" wide x 1" long - or whatever the metric equivalent is.

The slot in my bars is a touch over 10mm wide.
              Last edited by Kingbrown; 1 week ago.
              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Thanks King Brown.

I actually bought some of the 8mm to suit rhino bars but not sure if the end of my bar is slightly crushed in or not.. Will have to check once I get back fro work again.

Comment

Well for the aero it appears 6mm channel nuts are the correct ones, the 8mm was too large. Anyway not painted apart from cold gal, bit of a rush job but it's mounted.

​​
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice
                    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent catch can, Boos bash plates, Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, fridge slide, kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, more to come...

Comment

Agree that does look good.

I came across these tonight for anyone it interests, sits the cross bars on the vehicle rails

https://www.roofracksgalore.com.au/r...IU-M9DDrDa3118
                      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X