What a Provent catch can does.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a Provent catch can does.....

20201122_153112.jpg Removes about 250 - 300 ml of oil after 30,000 ks !

This is the total I have saved from numerous drainings of the can over about 15 months.

Would the motor have coped with this amount of oil in mist form. No worries at all !

But I don't have an EGR delete so would the motor cope with this amount of mist mixed with hot exhaust gasses. Would have added a fair bit of crud to the inlet manifold I reckon.

Very happy with the catch can, it's doing exactly what it should !
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, more to come...

Well that's a good reminder for me to pull my finger out and get it done. This time last year I had a full manifold clean as a prelim to the Catch Can.
    Then I got distracted.
    Definitely a job for these holidays

Comment

Is it all oil though? How much of it is soot and water etc. I wonder?
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

There's probably a couple of tablespoons of water in it. Forms a very nasty looking sludge at the bottom. I imagine there's plenty of soot too. The oil catches soot ( as it is supposed to) and the catch can catches the oil (as mist).

I just know that pumping this in combination with hot exhaust gasses into the motor is something I am happy to avoid
        2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, more to come...

Comment

Only 250-300ml after 30,000klms. Proof that I don't need one I reckon.
          Last edited by Ian H; 24-11-20, 09:30 AM.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
            Maybe I am just trying to convince myself that I spent the money on something worthwhile

Comment

Just drained my catch can oil too. So far after about 30,000kms I have collected about one 375g peanut butter jar of oil.
              Last edited by dreamerman; 18-12-20, 06:27 PM.
              03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite 265/65R17 ATs

Comment

I like it! good reduction on clogging the system.
                Q: Is it necessary to do the ERG off too? I've done the catch can but haven't yet researched the EGR mod as I know its an illegal mod

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi downunder View Post
                  I know its an illegal mod
                  You said it! For discussion purposes, I think closing the EGR shuts off muck from entering into your system. That is as much as I know. I just have faith that a catch can, pre fuel filter and egr module helps.
                  03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite 265/65R17 ATs

Comment

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                    No one needs one, just means gotta clean the intake more often

You guys probably already know these things but anyone like me that doesn't know much might apprecaite this, interesting manifold comparison

https://www.facebook.com/10537861914...38304956547224
                    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Dreamerman wrote "I think closing the EGR shuts off muck from entering into your system."

I think this is so. You would not expect any soot in the intake manifold with the EGR valve kept closed. However, what about the oil which has condensed in the intercooler? After a while, I would expect that the lower tubes of the intercooler would become blocked up by oil vapours which condense in the intercooler, thereby restricting the overall air intake to the engine. Probably not as bad as having the intake manifold all clogged up, but still a point to look at if you have the EGR blocked.

Comment

I think this is so. You would not expect any soot in the intake manifold with the EGR valve kept closed. However, what about the oil which has condensed in the intercooler? After a while, I would expect that the lower tubes of the intercooler would become blocked up by oil vapours which condense in the intercooler, thereby restricting the overall air intake to the engine. Probably not as bad as having the intake manifold all clogged up, but still a point to look at if you have the EGR blocked.[/QUOTE]

When I cleaned my manifold at 200,000kms I also removed and cleaned the aftercooler. I couldn’t see any oil in it at all and flushed it out with petrol which came out fairly clean, it was dark but not black.
                        I am still too fit a catch can but let it go too long and now Christmas is here so will have to wait a little longer to save up the cash.
                        Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 200k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 355k.

Comment

I fitted a Pro Vent two weeks ago on my new NX GLS, it already had oil in the inlet tract with only 28Km on the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
                            Removes about 250 - 300 ml of oil after 30,000 ks
                            Interesting . . .

Clearly, different engines (even of the same spec) will produce different amounts of this muck.

I installed a Provent 200 into my then 2,000km old, 2019 QE Paj. Sport. It took close to 2,500km for the internal element of the filter to saturate and begin discharging, I then drained the small amount of oil/water/muck (gunk) which had accumulated.

I next drained it after travelling only 2,130km and collected 50ml of this gunk.

By my reckoning, that translates to 235ml (about a cupful) every 10,000 km. This seems to be a significant variance to the experience had by others.

I'm pleased I went thought the personal 'trauma' (some may remember this) of fitting the can - yes, I'm that kind of mechenical/engineering luddite. (read klutz)

Cheers . . . a vapour filled WHID
                            Last edited by WHID; 04-01-21, 09:54 AM.
                            Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

You will only be able to compare your experiences with someone identical to you as in, driving habits, distances driven, how often the engine is started, location.
                              These all play apart in engine blow-by and what you will see in a catch can.
                              Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 200k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 355k.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X