X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

Again, you've got me thinking.

I measured my pin - 16mm diameter.

Using a commercial recovery adaptor, I would say the pin is in a "double shear" situation (rather than experiencing bending forces). So, what's it rated to?

I went to google for some help with calculations, and instead found a document from Purdue University: https://www.extension.purdue.edu/ext...ppp/ppp-94.pdf

A table on page 19 lists double shear strength for various pin sizes. As an American document, it's all in imperial measurements - 16mm is a fraction over 5/8".

A 5/8" hitch pin, according to Purdue University, is rated to 27,000 pounds - a little over 12,000 kg. Does that sound like enough for an 8,000 kg snatch strap?

That 12,000 kg is for a Class 2 pin - weak steel.

A Class 5 pin is listed at 44,000 pounds, or 20,000 kg.

A Class 8 pin is listed at 55,000 pounds, or 25,000 kg.

I don't know the class of my hitch pin but I'm not going to lose sleep over it, either.

I got told when I was doing my driver training that it is 13,000 kg on the pin before it starts to bend.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle View Post

I got told when I was doing my driver training that it is 13,000 kg on the pin before it starts to bend.
      Dave
      But if i have a recovery hitch, i'm not saying that's not correct, but it can't really bend.My 50mm receiver is filled with a recovery hitch & either side is shear, as pins supported by the hitch was my thinking?

But i guess there is some room for bending all the same
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X