Fitting Driving Lights on an NL Escape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Driving Lights on an NL Escape

Folks, my July 1999 Escape has air bags and I'm looking for a simple and legal (ADR compliant) way of attaching driving lights. Bars are an expensive but legal option. Can lights be fixed directly to the upper layer of the bumper bar via a simple bracket to prevent vibration ??? Is there another way ? I'm interested in your comments. Dougbee

Originally posted by Dougbee View Post
    Folks, my July 1999 Escape has air bags and I'm looking for a simple and legal (ADR compliant) way of attaching driving lights. Bars are an expensive but legal option. Can lights be fixed directly to the upper layer of the bumper bar via a simple bracket to prevent vibration ??? Is there another way ? I'm interested in your comments. Dougbee
    Just grab one of these bars from Repco/Autobarn/K-Mart for about $50, bolts on where you number plate is so you won't have and visible holes in your front bumper. But make sure the bolts go through something metal because the plastic bumper won't be rigid enough and the lights will wobble when driving.

Steele Perkins (#1263)
    NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

Another option that I've used on my subaru is to go behind the grill with a 4-5 mm thick and 50-100mm wide right angle mild steel builders bracket and bolt directly onto the front cross member - see pics (3rd pic of the guy holding the front bar is courtesy of offroadsubarus.com - 6 bolts is excessive, one top and botttom is sufficient).

This setup may or may not be possible with your paj? If it is possible you'd need to remove the grille and bumper skin to attach the bracket by directly bolting through a cross member. If you bolt through a hollow cross member you will at the very least have to put spacer blocks inside it to prevent crushing. Other options are fillet weld or a simple clamp block if you don't want to drill 2 holes per mount or weld. It took a full day to do. Cost about $5 per bracket and about $10 for 4 high tensile m6 or m8 bolts/washers/nyloc nuts. These hold up the hella 4000 compact which have a bit of weight without any vibration or flex.

Before this I tried a number plate mount going through a plastic bumper shell and foam to a steel cross member and it bounced around and no ammount of modification behind the bumber to brace it worked. From my experience unless the number plate bracket is bolted directly to something structural it vibrates (I installed the one off the subaru on the NS before I got the bullbar and it did the same).

Supposedly if they don't protrude beyond the line of the bumper & are below the line of the bonnet they are legal (not sure how true this is?, but an auto elec mate won't do lights if you want them above the bonnet or beyond the line of the bumper - probably just playing it safe). Something with a bit of info on ADR's is this: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s_nov_2007.pdf
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Eastie; 19-11-07, 11:27 AM.
      NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Originally posted by m1s3ry View Post
        Just grab one of these bars from Repco/Autobarn/K-Mart for about $50, bolts on where you number plate is so you won't have and visible holes in your front bumper. But make sure the bolts go through something metal because the plastic bumper won't be rigid enough and the lights will wobble when driving.

Thanks...I looked at one of those from TJM and assumed they'd conflict with the airbag zone..I'll take another look. It'd be a cheap and effective solution. I was thinking of attaching them to the upper surface plate of the bar itself....Queensland Transport says that's OK providing the lioghts don't protrude forward of the bumper or higher than the bonnet. The lights I'm thinking of, Light Force 170's or 240's, both prtrude forward so looks like I'll need a bar.

Comment

Thanks...looks like a good solution except the Lightforce lights I have in mind protrude beyond the bumper at 170 mm ..I might need some sort of bar to allow me to reach beyond that limit.

Comment

Any chance of cutting a bit of the grille so the back of the lights sit in the grille? It's not for everyone, but it works and can look very tidy if done right. Here's an example of a subaru with lights in grille (similar mount described above). Another option to take the flex out of the number plate mounted ones is brackets such as these... (subbies are renowned for bad lights) It depends on what you recon will actually work and what you recon looks ok.
            Attached Files
            NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Thanks again....looks like a solution but beyond me. I'll discuss it with my panel beaters..see what they say. Thanks again for your interest.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X