Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bull Bar Option

Hello,

I noticed from photos on this site that some of you have smart bars fitted....Are they any good? Have you hit anything worthwhile and still survived?

They are an option for me at the moment over a steel bar but wondered what damage occurs to the vehicle when you hit something like a roo.....The bar might bounce back but does it cave in so much that everything behind it is still buggered?

Originally posted by paj05 View Post
    Hello,

I noticed from photos on this site that some of you have smart bars fitted....Are they any good? Have you hit anything worthwhile and still survived?

They are an option for me at the moment over a steel bar but wondered what damage occurs to the vehicle when you hit something like a roo.....The bar might bounce back but does it cave in so much that everything behind it is still buggered?
    Depends who's propaganda you believe...

I have a SmartBar but so far haven't hit anything with it (4 yrs)
    The bar will bend under impact and therefore will absorb more energy, protecting the front of the vehicle better than a steel bar IMO. The guys that fitted mine (Opposite Lock in Brissy) were raving about them. Apparently one of their cars hit a roo at high speed and no damage at all. Bar came back into shape after about three days so you couldn't see any damage, apart from a couple of minor scratches.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Have a Smart Bar on our NM and it has had a few small hits. Not enough to bend / break it but it does have quite a few scuff marks.

I am about to by an DP DID GLX and will be likely be fitting one. Cost is around $1150 supplied (I will be fitting). Slightly more expensive than an ARB steel bar but worth it IMHO.
      16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
      10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

weight, look etc

Hi, pardon me for maybe some simpleton questions (I don't have a lot of knowledge in 4WDing) :

Are these smart bars lighter than those steel or aluminium ones, thus won't burden the front-end as much?

I like the idea but always somehow found the look not as good as those of steel/ aluminium, although I understand that beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder....or something sounds similar Is it just me thinking like that?

Do these smartbars have places for recovery hook? for winch?

Best regards,

Comment

Much lighter - I could easily pick ours up when fitting.

NS Smartbar can take a winch. The bars have a nice clearance notch in the bottom for the factory recovery hoops.

Pat
          16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
          10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X