X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a cargo Barrier

Hi
    New forum looks good.
    I have at last got myself a cargo barrier - only issue is there were no instructions on how best to install.

It probably not too difficult - however i want to get it right - does any one have some instructions - aftermarket or MMA original . I have a an NP model.

Hope you can help

Robsrock.

my brothers NM cargo barrier and my home made one both pick up on the rear seat handles, useing the orriginal screws, or in my case easier to remove bolts. The bottom picks up on the tie down points. thats the extent of my knowledge, enjoy
    2003 NP DID GLS Auto, 50mm Iron Man Suspension, ARB BBar, Chinese winch, custom fridge/equipment rack, Rhino RoofBars and alum TGM roof rack, UHF CB, Bridgstone D697 265/70-16, Safari Snorkel, Polyair

Comment

I have copy of Milford fitting instructions. File is 1.6mb so can't post it here but if you wish to pm with your email address , I can send it.
      For mine I had to buy fitting kit which was $60 from TJM then had it fitted by a guy nominated by TJM. - TJM will only fit new barriers so I was told.

cheers
      04 GLS Auto DID,ARB bar, Bilstein/Lovells,stedi 240 w light bar, DPchip, Cargo Barrier, dual batts, etc

Comment

Just dropped you a pm - look foward to the instruction manual.

I was looking at the possible location - noting you have a nm/np model and was wondering why the special bolts - could use the bolts which hold the rear grap handles mounted near/on the roof lining??

Robsrock

Comment

Do not use the seat handle screws - they are not strong enough to allow the cargo barrier to do what it needs to do in an emergency.

The concertina sections in the arms are not there for decoration - they're designed to pull straight and absorb some of the energy from all your luggage trying to join the passengers in the front of the car. That should give you some idea of the forces involved in an accident. The grab handle screws are not that strong, and the cargo barrier will simply rip them out and come forward with all your luggage.

Proper mounting points are threaded plates inserted into the body of the car and screwed in place. The bolts are about M10 in size, so they won't shear in a hurry. I've used the tie down bolts for my bottom arms, because I wasn't happy with the genuine Milford arrangement.

If you're not going to mount your cargo barrier properly it's cheaper to install a net.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Robsrock,

Largish email sent re fitting. Mine was an original Milford/Mitsi barrier with the clear perspex rearward opening port hole. It came with the two lower brackets and one top one. I had to fabricate another top one. To fit appeared not that hard but it needed a certain size hole (22mm) I didn't have that large a metal cutting bit. To buy one from Bunnings was about $40ish so I had it fitted for $60.
            I suppose you could bend/make upper brackets to fix to rear grab handles if enough strength.
            04 GLS Auto DID,ARB bar, Bilstein/Lovells,stedi 240 w light bar, DPchip, Cargo Barrier, dual batts, etc

Comment

Hi - got the file - all good.

Looking at the instructions and considering the load factors possible -i will go with the fiiting kit - which i will need to obtain from milford stockist.

I look at the weight i carry when we ventuire out for weekends - fridge - toolkits - tents ,food - 110kg +++ thats a lot of stuff .

thanks for all your advice and information - very helpful all round.

robsrock.

Comment

Why dont some of you that have them installed post up some pics of how it looks. I am curious on building my own and would like some pics to get some good ideas.
                03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Originally posted by icysyrup View Post
                  Why dont some of you that have them installed post up some pics of how it looks. I am curious on building my own and would like some pics to get some good ideas.
                  Better late than never?

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X