Blocking a snorkel - what happens??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking a snorkel - what happens??

I am interested in testing how waterproof the snorkel installation is on my Paj.

If a large plastic bag was put over the top of the snorkel, and the running engine stopped, this would imply that the snorkel installation is air tight, and therefore it would be reasonable to assume it would be water tight.

If the engine dropped revs and struggled to run normally, this would indicate an air leak in the snorkle system, but would this mean the installation might or might not be water tight?

If sealing the snorkle head resulted in no change to a running engine, does this mean there is a big air leak, and that it is unlikely to be watertight?

Many snorkles also have a drain facility to allow rain water to drain out of the snorkle - does this provide an alternate air path into the engine, if you blocked off the main intake?

Has anyone done any testing along these lines? How would you test to ensure your snorkle does not allow water into the engine without parking in some deep water and exposing the engine to potentially expensive damage?
    Pajero NS R SWB 2008, DiD, black, nudge bar, tow bar, TowPro, tint, Bush Skinz bash plates & sliders, Lovells springs, Bilstein shocks, Lightforce XGT spotties, snorkel, UHF, Redarc isolator, SPV mod.

Have been told that blocking the snorkel head is not wise. It might suck seals in or something.
    NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

Might be better to think the other way and rig up some way of inflating the snorkel with compressed air and measuring the leakdown.

Another thought is to obviously detach from the intake at the point where it would be unwise to allow water beyond and fill the snorkel with water. Would need to plug any drain holes though.
      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

yes a snorkle is only as water tight as you can make it. every joint will not be water tight unless you have sealed them.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

To test my recent snorkel install I was advised to remove the snorkel head and cover the snorkel tube in a strong plastic bag, this should then stop the engine. I did the test and the engine sucked on the snorkel and broke the silicone seal on the airbox inlet and broke the rivet between the snorkel and the airbox.

I plan on removing the airbox next weekend, cleaning it up and re-applying the silicone seals and then leaving it alone.
          2018 NX GLS - Stock

2002 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto. Oricom 280 UHF, Full Boar Snorkel, Maxxis 980's. Diff breather kit *still* waiting to be fitted. Heading for the great scrap yard in the sky very soon.

Comment

Steve, your experience certainly backs up Markpeh's advice that blocking the snorkel is not wise. Last thing you really want to do is suck all the seals into the air path.

How else can the water proofness of the snorkel installation be tested ?
            Pajero NS R SWB 2008, DiD, black, nudge bar, tow bar, TowPro, tint, Bush Skinz bash plates & sliders, Lovells springs, Bilstein shocks, Lightforce XGT spotties, snorkel, UHF, Redarc isolator, SPV mod.

Comment

How water proof does a snorkel have to be? I imagine if a little bit of water gets into the airbox gravity won't allow it to get sucked up as the air from the snorkel head had less resistance. Make sense?
              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

You could take off the head connect your leaf blower (on low revs) remove intake from after the air cleaner.
                Rick
                Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

Originally posted by Nab View Post
                  How water proof does a snorkel have to be? I imagine if a little bit of water gets into the airbox gravity won't allow it to get sucked up as the air from the snorkel head had less resistance. Make sense?
                  I think its more about pressure from the water when its up over the air box and when you put the foot down to get out or thru the water in gets sucked in.
                  Rick
                  Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                  New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

Could try spraying a little bit of Start ya bastard/CRC or similar around any joins and listening for engine rev changes, definitely works on petrol engines, not sure about diesel tho?
                    2012 NW GLS
                    OME lift, ARB Deluxe Bar, Bushskinz, ARB Awning, ARB Roofrack, Hercules Winch, Lightforce Gensis HID lights, Dual Batteries, Cargo Barrier, 32" Summit Mudhogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                      Could try spraying a little bit of Start ya bastard/CRC or similar around any joins and listening for engine rev changes, definitely works on petrol engines, not sure about diesel tho?
                      Cool idea - doesn't sound like it could do any harm

Comment

How about some soapy water around the seals, disconnect the air intake hose to the intake manifold, block snorkel, and gently pressurise (vacuum on blower) to see if leaks at joints.
                        2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
                        2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate or lockup-mate now available for Pajero NS+, Triton MN,MQ, Challenger PB,PC, Prado 150

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X