Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sliders/side steps

afternoon all
    I have been a little busy lately with measuring up the swb for steps/sliders.
    the problem I am facing is that my experience is telling me they will be fine, but after running the model through the simulation software with a point load of 18150nm, they fail big time, I am basically using the tare weight (1850) multiplied by gravity,
    I realise that they will never see this amount of force, so I have even halved the force, but they still fail big time, I am planning to use 32nb pipe either heavy (4mm) or medium(3.56mm), just after some pointers as to what amount of force these steps will actually see as a point load per side.
    any help/advice would be a great help
    1994 JDM 2.8TD SWB,UNIDEN UHF, 4300KG WINCH, MAXXIS BRAVO AT, ALLOY BAR, SAFARI SNORKEL, WORK IN PROGRESS

If I understand how a 4wd comes in contact with a rock correctly.
    you will never see anything close to gravity unless you are dropping it off a large ledge. I would use as a worst case senario 1/2 the weight of the 4wd using static analysis with the force applied in a "upwards" direction.

I think normally the sliders would come in contact with a rock "slowly" with the force applied more like 30 deg from horizontal.

**** this is by no means expert advice just my opinion *****
    '95 NJ GLS LWB 3.0Lt Auto, 3" Body lift, Bocar Bar , 2 x 55W 7" HIDs , PRM 8030 UHF , Snorkel.

Comment

How did you get 18,000nm of torque force from a 1.8ton weight?
      That doesn't sound right to me. To go to nm from weight which is linear is not easy.

To get 18000nm on an object from 1.8ton weight, the applied weight would have to be hanging metres away from the object on a fixed arm.
      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

I missed that bit Kg/f is most likely a better unit
        '95 NJ GLS LWB 3.0Lt Auto, 3" Body lift, Bocar Bar , 2 x 55W 7" HIDs , PRM 8030 UHF , Snorkel.

Comment

Originally posted by SWB ANDY View Post
          afternoon all
          I have been a little busy lately with measuring up the swb for steps/sliders.
          the problem I am facing is that my experience is telling me they will be fine, but after running the model through the simulation software with a point load of 18150nm, they fail big time, I am basically using the tare weight (1850) multiplied by gravity,
          I realise that they will never see this amount of force, so I have even halved the force, but they still fail big time, I am planning to use 32nb pipe either heavy (4mm) or medium(3.56mm), just after some pointers as to what amount of force these steps will actually see as a point load per side.
          any help/advice would be a great help
          Might just be a typo - I take it you are applying a point load of 18,150N (~1850kg x 9.81) rather than an applied torque?

For the static part - If you want to support the car on one side - it would be (0.5 x vehicle mass x 9.81). The full weight of the car would be 4 wheels in the air and maybe on a large angle!

The dynamic part is more complex - dropping the vehicle can generate a load much larger than the maximum static load. Hard to find without some analysis (or relate theory to practical) of the velocity you might drop at. Plenty of dynamic analysis has been done in the field for that reason. Haha!
          2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

Comment

evening folks
            thanks for the replies and my apologies for the typo , tristanNL hit the nail on the head, I understand that the static load is a lot different to the dynamic load.
            my problems is even at 1850 x 9.81/2 the sliders/steps fail quite badly, granted I am using a yield of 220(plain carbon steel), not had chance to find out what the actual yield would be on pipe, my concern is if they fail in the static then they would fail even worse in the dynamic, if I was to design for the dynamic scenario they would probably be that heavy that I would need a hydraulic jack just to mount them.
            in summary am I safe to use the static load over the dynamic load, as I said my experience is telling me they will be fine and take a reasonable bashing but the numbers tell a different story.
            I will have another play on solidworks with them and see how I go, I may have to use lots of gussets to keep weight down.
            again thanks for your help and input
            1994 JDM 2.8TD SWB,UNIDEN UHF, 4300KG WINCH, MAXXIS BRAVO AT, ALLOY BAR, SAFARI SNORKEL, WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

Stick with static load. About 1500 to 1800 kg's and you will be fine.
              I've had steps the I could just hilift off but could take a beating off road.
              Mild steel. They have to bend. Steps that don't bend are useless.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Thats right, Big Impact = Big Damage to Something, if the Sliders Don't Bend, the Body Mountings and Chassis Will. Easier the Repair/Replace a Slider than to Repair a Twisted Chassis Rail and Rips in the Floor.
                NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X