Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing aftermarket accessories pre delivery

Hi all,

I'm close to purchasing a new 4WD, most likely a Pajero. It will be the first time I've bought a 4WD new so thought I'd ask a couple of questions to those who may have been through this process before.

Firstly, I'm considering having a number of aftermarket accessories fitted such as 50mm lift, bullbar, spotties and long range tank. If I fit these accessories pre delivery while purchasing the vehicle, can the dealer get a better price than me if I walked directly into ARB for example?

And secondly, if I do fit the accessories pre delivery, will they be covered under MM's 5 year warranty or is it up to the discretion of the dealer?

Just trying to arm myself with information before I walk into a dealer.

Many thanks in advance. Cheers,

Dan

Originally posted by Croozer View Post
    Hi all,

I'm close to purchasing a new 4WD, most likely a Pajero. It will be the first time I've bought a 4WD new so thought I'd ask a couple of questions to those who may have been through this process before.

Firstly, I'm considering having a number of aftermarket accessories fitted such as 50mm lift, bullbar, spotties and long range tank. If I fit these accessories pre delivery while purchasing the vehicle, can the dealer get a better price than me if I walked directly into ARB for example?

And secondly, if I do fit the accessories pre delivery, will they be covered under MM's 5 year warranty or is it up to the discretion of the dealer?

Dan
    Hi Dan,

I recently made the same purchase, picked up our VRX last week and may have some answers for you.
    Only genuine MM's accessories are covered under their new car warranty.
    I ordered with my newbie an ARB Bullbar and paid $2130 to the dealer which worked out similar to ARB price from what I looked at. I chose to order through the dealer as I have seen on this forum others have been waiting for long periods for their bar. Therefore i thought the dealer may have a quicker response with ARB which I think they may have. I took delivery of the Paj without the bar fitted and going to ARB booked in by the dealer at the end of December.
    As far as fuel tank, spotties and lift I didn't get that much interest from the dealer and have chosen to add these myself at a later date as I will choose what I want and not the dealer. I also paid for AT tyres through the dealer and have ended up with Maxtrex branded tyres which after some research are a cheaper Chinese option, probably not my choice but the dealer chose to fit without consulting me which was annoying really.
    My tip at the end of the day would be do the best deal on the vehicle you want and add extras later and you control decisions.
    Don't get me wrong, I was happy with the deal I got but pushed hard for the change over price I wanted as I wanted to trade my 2007 VS as part of the deal.
    Hope this helps somewhat. I love the new VRX, it is great!
    Cheers Richard

NW 2013 Pajero VRX, Thule roof bars with kayak holder, ARB Awning, AT Maxtrex tyres, window tinting, tinted Pajero bonnet protector, tow bar, dash mat, ARB colour coded deluxe Bullbar, Icom 440 UHF under dash with controls on hand piece, GME antenna, Primus IQ brake controller, OME suspension lift 40mm, IPF 900XS Etreme spots, Safari snorkel, Diff breathers

Comment

I would be Very Careful and Ask all the Right Questions about What Will be covered by MM and What Won't, Get Everything Written on Paper Just in Case of a Warranty claim. I had a friend who bought a brand new vehicle and got Talked into Dealer Paint Protection, when the Paint started falling off within 12 mths the Dealer wouldn't cover it as it Voided her Warranty ! The Dealer Will charge you More for any Acc as they want to make Their Mark Up on it but you may have to pay more for Them to cover Acc. in the MM Warranty.
      NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Accesories purchased with the vehicle will increase the amount of stamp duty to be paid.
        When i bought my NT the dealer organised Arb etc for me and got a great price but the gear was fitted after delivery...
        NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

Many thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, I will be leasing the vehicle hence if I want accessories then I will need to organise it pre delivery. Otherwise, if I purchase it after it can become more difficult (unless I plan to keep the vehicle of course!). But all good points, cheers.

Comment

more than likely the 3rd party accessories will be fitted by a local shop and not the dealer, hence the coverage of the manufacturers/installers warranty as opposed to a MM warranty
            NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
            Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

I had my Challenger fitted with ARB bar, winch and H/R towbar before delivery. Also on a lease. The prices from the dealer were better than the local ARB store. MM will most likely get you to sign a disclaimer, generally acknowledge that any parts that are not genuine are not covered by MM in any way, further if those parts cause any damage to factory parts then that part is not covered. The dealer told me this about 4 times, but did get all the gear I wanted.

Knowing now how much discount a dealer can get from ARB, TJM etc, they still made a decent profit on the ARB stuff.
              SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

Originally posted by Croozer View Post
                Hi all,

Dan
                Hi there, sorry if my reply is a bit old but I am new here.
                Regarding adding extras to your car, you need to remember that anything you add to the vehicle that increases the total purchase price will require you to pay extra registration costs (3% up to 45k and 5% for every dollar over this amount) + LCT if applicable (Luxury Car Tax is 33% for a vehicle valued at more than approxx $58000).
                So perhaps, it may be better to apply these extras after you have driven it 'off the lot'.

For a variety of informative posts on the topic visit;
                http://ryanthenegotiator.com.au/blog/

I hope this information has been helpful,
                All the best,
                Last edited by oxmo; 26-11-14, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X