Solar Panel on Roof Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panel on Roof Q's

Does the panel stand a chance of getting cracked or damaged from typical rough driving in the outback?

Under the bare roofrack does it get enough sun? Maybe if the rack was thin wire, buts its pretty thick stuff.

What sort of setup is involved with running it into the boot area to hook up to my deep cycle that sits in the back on its own?

thanks
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

I had 3 80 watt panels on my last vehicle. No problems what so ever. Run your wire to a point near the battery. Install your regulator close to the battery. All you,ll need to do is clean the panels every 6 months or more if in real dusty area. My panels were BP so had good aluminium casing all round. On the Paj you will probably have to feed the wire down thru the rear rubber boot that feeds wires to rear door. Depending on the wattage you will still need a regulator . A 10 amp will be heaps. This regulates the voltage from the panel and into your battery. Do not wire the panel directly to the battery. Most panels put out about 21 volts.
    Dicko FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
    Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Sounds like you are planning on mounting it under the mesh of the roofrack? You may have a noticeable drop in output depending on where the cross bars shade the solar panel.

Have you tested the output when in direct sunlight versus under the roof rack?
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

any shading of the panels really cuts the output
        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

I saw a picture on a forum where the panels were mounted in slides under the roof rack, so when they stopped he slid them out from under the rack. A bonus was the front one shielded the windscreen helping keep the car cool.
          2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

Clever stuff but I suppose it's not utilizing its full potential. Horses for courses, I imagine.
            02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
              I had 3 80 watt panels on my last vehicle. No problems what so ever. Run your wire to a point near the battery. Install your regulator close to the battery. All you,ll need to do is clean the panels every 6 months or more if in real dusty area. My panels were BP so had good aluminium casing all round. On the Paj you will probably have to feed the wire down thru the rear rubber boot that feeds wires to rear door. Depending on the wattage you will still need a regulator . A 10 amp will be heaps. This regulates the voltage from the panel and into your battery. Do not wire the panel directly to the battery. Most panels put out about 21 volts.
              I guess multiply panels are better to get the sun compared to one static unit? Depending on how think the panel wire is, I think I might just feed the wire down the boot opening which goes right up against the seal rubber & at the bottom just cut into it a bit so it feeds inside. I tried with dummy wire, don't think it gets squashed much at all.
              2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

I jumpered one panel to another(piggy backed0. Had reasonably thick wire going down to regulator. Your only going to be carrying a few amps so you wont need real thick wire. Certainly not 6b&s. The wire you'd run for driving lights will do. If your only going with a 60-80 watt panel then a 5 amp regulator will do the trick. Even an 80 watter, in theory should put out about 6.5 amps, will at best put out 5 amps. Don't mount your panel under the rack. Even 2 or 3% blockage of the panel can cause it to give out bugger all amperage. If you go for an 80 watter and it is in direct sun all day, on a sunny day, I would expect an input of about 25 amps. Clouds, temperature , regulator and other variables can affect the amount. A 40ltr engel if used as a fridge on about 4 degrees and in the shade would only use 20 amps per day if not opened and shut unnecessarily all the time.
                Dicko FNQ

Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Thought about this but never did it as your 4by have to be in the heat of the day all the time and that is where the major current drawing device is the fridge.
                  I kept mine mobile on 5m leads to keep the car in the shade and the solar panels on the right angle.
                  .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                  NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                    Thought about this but never did it as your 4by have to be in the heat of the day all the time and that is where the major current drawing device is the fridge.
                    I kept mine mobile on 5m leads to keep the car in the shade and the solar panels on the right angle.

My 3 panels were permanently attached to roof rack and had 10 meter lead for fridge. This way fridge wasn't inside a warm car. You will use a lot less power if you keep fridge in shade and well ventilated.
                    Dicko FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Will you be able to angle the panels?
                      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X