Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the cargo barrier wasted space there by design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the cargo barrier wasted space there by design?

Hey all,

I finally picked up a Milford cargo barrier for my old PA Challenger, and bought a new fitting kit to suit. As per another thread, following the placement in the instructions results in an approx 10cm wasted gap behind the back seats. If I push the barrier up to be flush with the seats, it still fits nicely and the hole placement looks no less structurally significant than where the instructions put them.

Before I go and modify the design by moving it forward, is there any reason why they would have left this gap? I suppose you could fit a couple of jackets or recovery gear between the seat and the cage, but otherwise it just seems an odd waste of cargo space.

Any advice before I start drilling would be appreciated!

Mike

Originally posted by serapax View Post
    Hey all,

I finally picked up a Milford cargo barrier for my old PA Challenger, and bought a new fitting kit to suit. As per another thread, following the placement in the instructions results in an approx 10cm wasted gap behind the back seats. If I push the barrier up to be flush with the seats, it still fits nicely and the hole placement looks no less structurally significant than where the instructions put them.

Before I go and modify the design by moving it forward, is there any reason why they would have left this gap? I suppose you could fit a couple of jackets or recovery gear between the seat and the cage, but otherwise it just seems an odd waste of cargo space.

Any advice before I start drilling would be appreciated!

Mike
    Presumably the seats in the second row recline in at least one trim spec in the challengers. Usually they are shaped to allow room for this.
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

The mounting straps have a little wave in them and I always thought that the space behind the seat was left there to allow for the straps to deform/stretch (kinda like a progressive slow down instead of a dead stop) when the barrier was hit by something in an accident.
      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

Originally posted by dhula View Post
        The mounting straps have a little wave in them and I always thought that the space behind the seat was left there to allow for the straps to deform/stretch (kinda like a progressive slow down instead of a dead stop) when the barrier was hit by something in an accident.
        Reckon your spot on. They also deliberately cant the top of the barrier rewards so that the barrier deflects the energy downwards and in a rollover is more often than not biased to fold/deform the barrier rear wards rather than forward towards the rear passengers.

Embrace the gap I say. Good for tarps, raincoats, pajero workshop manual. Etc, etc.

Comment

Both Dhula and Conquistador are correct.
          We had a similar opportunity in our previous 4wd so I fitted a number of bungie cord cargo net pockets and used them to store paper towel, toilet paper, coats, jackets, swimming gear and towels. 4 pockets below seat height and 2 pockets above. It worked really well when we were a family of four travelling and camping without towing.

cheers, old Jack.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Thanks for the info - I hadn't really thought of a cargo barrier having it's own crumple zone. However I don't recall the extension arms (for moving it behind the front seats) having the waves in them - I'll check when I get home.
            I'll also play around with the positioning a bit more - it does look a lot neater against the seat, but I don't want to compromise the structural design element.
            Cheers!
            Mike

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X