Winch Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch Advice

Looking to bolt a winch onto an ARB winch compatible bullbar. So, what winch to get?

Ironman do a good cheap one for $800 and the Warn ones were a bit overpriced at $1100, which way to go, is the Warn one better?

Anyone have the e-bay or cheap Chinese ones, also, Aldi does one for $500, anyone have these?

So, any advice on this will be greatly appreciated. Will be looking into getting it in the next week or three

John
    Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Aldi is that where you go get your groceries, if so "wow" I've seen them sell Dvd players & stuff, but I didn't know they sell car parts as well.

Sorry bit off the subject; Gary
    Dual Battery
    80Ltr Waeco
    91Ltr Longrange Tank
    3" Lovells/Bilstein
    3” Exhaust
    Winch
    NP 05 DID

Comment

Originally posted by john_char View Post
      Looking to bolt a winch onto an ARB winch compatible bullbar. So, what winch to get?

Ironman do a good cheap one for $800 and the Warn ones were a bit overpriced at $1100, which way to go, is the Warn one better?

Anyone have the e-bay or cheap Chinese ones, also, Aldi does one for $500, anyone have these?

So, any advice on this will be greatly appreciated. Will be looking into getting it in the next week or three

John
      John - the troll has the Ironman 9000 on it. Unless your in a hurry or heading into comps - got the cheaper. Had a warn - brilliant but no better for my needs than the Ox or the Ironman.
      Suggest you run Synthetic on it no matter what brand winch. Safety over the cost
      "Never Underestimate a childs ability to get into trouble "

Comment

Thanx rugrat. I ended up with a Repco winch, which (like the ironman) is a stronger Chinese one. Got it for $800, not too bad for a 12000 lb one. Bit of a bugga to get it fitted to my ARB bullbar, but all done. I just noticed that the cable is spooled incorrectly, coming from the top of the winch spool not the bottom, will re spool it soon.

So the synthetic ones are the go? How much are they usually?

John
        Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

John - my preference is the Synthetic - safer and stronger. I would suggest running it over a Hawse rather than rollers (price of under $100- shop around) as for the actal rope - that varies in price between dealers. Talk to Ian Hastie (4x4Equip) as he has some new products on the market. I have used the Brawn Bronze and currently run the B-Line. If you can get the dealer to split the rope into 2 20meter lengths. You rarely use more than 20 in a single winch - it also gives you a 20 mtr winch extension. Shop around and talk to the folks at the 4wd show thats coming up -

Comment

One of the first things I did when I got my winch. I upgraded to Synthetic Rope. I used the cable twice and it was such a HUGE pain in the butt. Now that I have used my synthetic rope lots I would NEVER put cable back on any winch I own. Its SOOO much easier to handle, use, everythign in general over cable.
            03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Is the rope worth buying? Saw some at ARB today for over $650!!!!! A lot of money to spend when the cable is doing the job......

Comment

Its definately worth it. I cant say that enough.when you handle your winch rope you will be thankfull. Yoou should check around cause you will prob find it cheaper than that i bet....I paid about 320 US for mine so its not cheap...but in hindsight I would do it again without hesitation.
                03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

We have now switched to the Synthetic Rope on all our work trucks. With the wire you had to be careful how it was wound on the spoil as it very easy to damage it.

The Rope is very forgiving ( I have seen a rope that was flattened but still retained its strength)

Comment

It's well worth it. You should be able to source 30m of 8mm rope fitted with a lug and hook fitted starting at around $380 from my experience.
                    NS oil burner shorty

Comment

I also have my winch spooled so that half the rope is on one side of the winch drum and half on the other side....so that I benefit from as close to a "Full Strength Pull" no matter how much rope is pulled out.

Comment

Originally posted by john_char View Post
                        Is the rope worth buying? Saw some at ARB today for over $650!!!!! A lot of money to spend when the cable is doing the job......
                        Hunt around John. The prices vary between manufacturers. ARB are expensive - try 4x4Equipment, B-line or a few others. Also If they sell by the meter - only buy 20 meters - thats about all you need for most recoveries.Then buy a winch extension if your worried about the length.

Also dont leave synthetic on the drum when your not using it - its strength is affected by UVRays- so either take it off (my sugestion as it only takes 5 minutes to spool it back on) or cover it somehow.

Is the cost really worth it? To me yes - in safety alone. Weight is not an issue - why do the Comp guys run synthetic?
                        Here is what I currently run - but there are others out there that are as good or better - http://www.4b.com.au/B-Line.htm
                        [email protected]
                        or email Ian Hastie and get an idea about his rope.

Comment

Synthetic rope is well worth it. You don't have to worry about the gloves and it doesn't have the backlash of the steel cable if it does break. Only down side is it will cut easily and rocks and sharp objects.
                          Most of my winching is cars that have come of the road and I find the rope is easy to wind out and rescue them with. It also doesn't damage the plastic bits on the cars I drag out of the drainage ditches.

Comment

There's a few companies overseas that have both rope and an offset hawse fairlead - some don't ship out of the states and others don't list all their gear on their websites (why I don't know?). I ended up getting masterpull rope and from talking to them found they also stock a hawse farilead that suits ARB bars with offset feet forward mounting ("Ramsey mount" part # MPF-400) - basically the same as other like okoffroad.

The price for 100' 5/16 LCP 13,000lb line with HD thimble, HD locking hook and aluminium hawse fairlead was $350 ($us) including air freight from US to Melbourne. They will typically throw in 10' nylon rope chafe guard if you ask. With prices like these it's possibly going to be more of a viable option for those that can't justify spending $500 plus on rope + at least $100 for a fairlead locally (like me). If you don't want the LCP heat protection on the rope or a locking HD hook it will be much cheaper still. I'm all for buying local but this is over half the prices I was quoted.

Also, a catch with most ropes/hawse fairleads is a hook + thimble will not fit through most hawse faileads, so storage of the hook under the bar isn't an option. If you want to store it out of sight under the bar don't get a hook and use a rated shackle instead. If you want more rope gaurd you can get hollow nylon strap of various sizes and any length locally through outdoor/rock climbing suppliers like Bogong.

http://www.masterpull.com/
                            Last edited by Eastie; 18-02-08, 09:37 AM.
                            NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X