Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Air Compressor

Gday all,

I'm in the market for a small aircompressor so that I can adjust tyre pressures when off-road.

What's the deal with these? I know the more expensive ones support higher PSI but other than that is there really much difference?

Any particular brands that other owners have found reliable?

Thanks in advance.

NS Shortie, Petrol Guzzler, Tow-Bar, Nudge-Bar, Rear Diff Lock, Rhino Sports roof bars, Newbee 4x4 Driver.

air compressor

Mate,

Just bought the baby "Bushman" air compressor the other day for 95 bucks. I dont do a lot of work that requires letting tyres pressures down and so couldnt justify the expense of bigger ones.

It will pump up a 265/70/16 from about 10psi to 35 in three and a half minutes, so that was fine with me. It came with a five year guarantee and all the fittings. Money well spent.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by snoop75 View Post
      Gday all,

I'm in the market for a small aircompressor so that I can adjust tyre pressures when off-road.

What's the deal with these? I know the more expensive ones support higher PSI but other than that is there really much difference?

Thanks in advance.

If you are looking for compressors, consider the newer ones that are dual headed compressor. They are meant to have double the flow rate. But my testing of the one I bought did not reduce the time by 1/2. It was more like 3/5 of the time. And they are not that more expensive. I bought mine of ebay.

tony

Comment

Gday all,

Thanks in advance.

Pressure isnt so much your issue, youll find nearly every compressor will be able to inflate to the pressure you need, its to volume or flow rate... basically the higher that is the quicker your tires are inflated. Generally speaking the higher this is, the more expensive, obviously quality plays a role here too...

Comment

Gday all,

I know the more expensive ones support higher PSI but other than that is there really much difference?
          Snoop - I have gone through about 5 compressors - the Super Cheaps $50 to the Dr Air Expensive. They all work, they all do the trick but my current one is a Bushranger - due to the 5year warranty. Most of the others have a 6month or 12 month one. I know of one guy who has returned his 4 times to SuperCheap due to failure - I want something reliable. Failures I have had are more to do with the cyclinder being damaged and the compressor not being able to pump to the required pressure. They will still do a footy or similar but not a 285/16 tyre to 40PSI.

Go the Bushranger - which ever model - they all have the 5 year warranty.
          "Never Underestimate a childs ability to get into trouble "

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. So I guess flow rate and reliability (warranty) is what I'd be looking for in a decent compressor.

I'm glad I didn't buy one of the cute little supercheapauto ones that I saw. Guess they probably would have died pretty quickly.

Thanks again!!!

NS Shortie, Petrol Guzzler, Tow-Bar, Nudge-Bar, Rear Diff Lock, Rhino Sports roof bars, Newbee 4x4 Driver.

Comment

I got one of those cheep $89 compressors from big w and Its been used and abused a fair bit over the last couple of years I have it with no dramas with it.

It used to fill the 31" from 20psi to 40psi in a couple of mins a tyre on paj pritty quick and it now gets used to fill the 35"-36" simexs on the troll at a desent speed also.

Simon

Comment

I ended up with a TJM (the cheaper red one in the zip up bag). It pumps up tyres farily quickly (about a minute). It hasn't broken down yet (3 years, used about three times a year). I paid about $210 for it, and today I found it advertised in the US for $60....
                Last edited by Eastie; 12-09-07, 04:20 PM.
                NS oil burner shorty

Comment

I recommend the bushranger max air. I have had mine for 5 years now at it has not caused me any problems. I had it mounted under the bonnet in the Disco and even though it often got covered in mud and water it keeps going. A bit more expensive than some but has great output.

All the cheaper ones will work but the main problem with them is that they overheat quickly. I know a few people with cheapies and after 2 or 3 tyres it trips out and they have to let it cool down.
                  thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                  1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Bushranger MaxAir II
                    Good compressor and fast but $275-$350

I found the $99 unit easy to break and very slow (ie takes 30min to pump 4 tyres vs 14min with the MaxAir II - including setup and stow of compressor)
                    --
                    Marquis
                    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

I have a Blue tongue 3 compressor, quite expensive but appears very robust. About 15 minutes to reinflate four tyres. Mounted under the engine bay for the last 3 years, nil issues. I purchased this one after reading various reviews. Couple of features I linked, runs a cooling fan and also has a thermal cut out, has never cut out though. The ARB compressor at the time did not have the thermal cutout.
                      Last edited by linou; 08-09-07, 08:56 PM.
                      Pajero MY05 Exceed, DVD / (infamous) Sat Nav, Petrol / Injected LPG, alloy bull bar, Blue Tongue compressor, Pirahna dual battery system, Cibie Oscar SC driving lights, UHF, Next G car kit, Waeco FF40, set Cooper ST's, cargo barrier and polyairs.

Comment

I've got one of those cheap Chinese ones from eBay. Cost me $85 (inc. postage) and claims 90 ltrs/min. The Bushranger Max Air II has a flow rate of 72 ltrs/min. I've only used the cheap one about 5 times but so far very happy with it. But if you want quality, go for something like the Bushranger, but you have to weigh up the price difference of $85 compared to around $390 - you get what you pay for.

http://www.bushranger.com.au/maxair_2_compressor.php
                        -------------
                        2002 100 Series to suit the growing family

SOLD: 2007 NS DiD SWB - great little car

Comment

Looks like ARB have a new under-bonnet model available for both lockers and tyres - the CKMA12. There's possibly also a new portable model in the plastic toolbox going by a note on the website - "PLEASE NOTE: CKMP12 compressor due for release late 2007". Wonder if it's the same as the under-bonnet model - there's been a portable model available for years. Looking for a new one for the trip around Oz next year - have got one of those eBay cheapies that's never let me down, but I sure as hell won't be relying on it on the "big" trip.
                          Ben

Comment

I have a similar question to snoop75.

I decided to buy an air compressor today - and more out of price/convenience, I ended up with a Mega Grunt Double Pumper at approx $150, which it claims will pump at 85L/min (and I know these numbers only relate to having no pressure on the end of the hose), but more importantly, it claims it is still going at 50L/min at 30 psi. I'm interested in people's opinions of this (and the Terrain Tamer dual piston one, as it is exactly the same), as we are hoping to head off to the D'Entrecasteaux National Park in a few weeks time, and knowing whether these units are likely to only get through 2 of my 18" 265/60's before needing 30 min to cool down or whether people's experiences are that it will do 4 pajero tyres in 10 min, with no overheating issues, would help me plan when I should be pumping tyres back up after all the sand travel in this park (I'm still very new at this - and this will be our first real 4wd use of the car).
                            I know the Max Air would have probably been a been a better option based on comments already on this forum, but nevertheless - I have this now - and any comments on tricks to make it work better (or how not to break it) would be much appreciated.
                            Also, the instructions are non existent with this device - is it supposed to be maintenance free for its life? or am I supposed to oil piston rings (or WD40 it) every year or so to keep it working? -The manual consists of a single A4 sheet of paper with very little of significance on it. Thanks
                            Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

I can vouch for all the Bushrangers, very good quality gear, have used 2 different ones over the years, and never had a problem. I currently have a Boss 3/4hp unit, (which at 300 is actually cheaper than some of the bushrangers) attached to a 9l tank. With this i reinflate all 4 31's from 15 to 36psi in just on 4 mins. But they do require more than the std install (large cable, heavy, and good airflow.)

I dont like to wait for tyres to go up, hence this route.

Dave
                              00 Challenger - M/T MTZ's, Bullbar, UHF, 2"+ lift (EFS & ironman), OnBoard Air (Boss 3/4hp + tank + air tools ).
                              My Other Toys - 1970 Valiant Pacer Hardtop, 1973 Valiant Charger

Comment

Working...
                              X