Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unicorn intercooler upgrade for Most Pajeros

Hi all,

Just wanted to know if anyone has installed this and what differences you seen in intake temps?

https://www.unicornpowersystem.com.a...ew.aspx?ID=361

Thanks

Looks identical in size and shape to original factory one so it’s not an upgrade.
    This intercooler would only suit people who are looking for a direct factory replacement.

In my opinion any worthy upgrade would have to be in front of radiator.

Both intercooler and dump pipe solved my high EGT issues and was also able to increase fuel and boost safety.
    Was seeing 800 degrees pre turbo now about 175 degrees less after upgrades.
    02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, Cat Delete, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels with Black Bear A/T tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 3” dump pipe, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, plus other mods

99 Challenger 2.8td auto Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
      Looks identical in size and shape to original factory one so it’s not an upgrade.
      This intercooler would only suit people who are looking for a direct factory replacement.

In my opinion any worthy upgrade would have to be in front of radiator.

Both intercooler and dump pipe solved my high EGT issues and was also able to increase fuel and boost safety.
      Was seeing 800 degrees pre turbo now about 175 degrees less after upgrades.
      What intercooler did you get?

Ive send a message to manufacturer, they said it allows for around 25% more airflow than stock as its thicker and more effecient. But ofcause wont beat a frontmount.

Comment

Originally posted by swys42 View Post

Ive send a message to manufacturer, they said it allows for around 25% more airflow than stock as its thicker and more effecient. But ofcause wont beat a frontmount.
        How can it be larger when it’s mounted on same mounts.
        Unless it has larger pipes it looks to be the same thickness as factory 62mm.
        25% more airflow?
        Really?
        What use is airflow when you want lower intake temperatures?
        which is only achievable with a larger core or repositioning.
        More efficient? Probably.
        02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, Cat Delete, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels with Black Bear A/T tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 3” dump pipe, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, plus other mods

Comment

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
          How can it be larger when it’s mounted on same mounts.
          Unless it has larger pipes it looks to be the same thickness as factory 62mm.
          25% more airflow?
          Really?
          What use is airflow when you want lower intake temperatures?
          which is only achievable with a larger core or repositioning.
          More efficient? Probably.
          Its probably me that just typed wrong. This is their exact words:

"the heat transfer area of this intercooler will be 22.5% more than stock one"

Comment

Its probably me that just typed wrong. This is their exact words:

"the heat transfer area of this intercooler will be 22.5% more than stock one"
            Do you have the dimensions?
            For that claim to be true then them pipes must be 3” and core must be 76mm which from my experience would barely fit.
            They look like 2” pipes and the core looks marginally thicker than pipes just like the factory one.
            Attached Files

Comment

The performance of any heat exchanger is more complex then just the pipe in and out and exterior dimensions.
              When I was at the Denso factory in Nagoya Japan a couple of years ago they had a display of the increase in performance of heat exchangers, Evaporators, Condensers and Intercoolers.
              Current models were half the outside dimensions of the earlier types. In dash evaporators.
              This is possible due to the internal extruded pipe technology and done in vehicle HVAC applications to save weight and space. Same would apply in any heat exchanger.
              An intercooler is just a simple air to air heat exchanger
              The manufacturer of the intercooler states "the heat transfer area of this intercooler will be 22.5% more than stock one"
              They do not say it will flow more air. Heat transfer is different to air flow but related.
              If the air running through the inside of the intercooler flows faster it will have less time to get the heat removed from it and will be less efficient. There is a balance required for each application.
              The maths of this is beyond me to explain but the performance increases in the the new "plate" technology heat exchangers is evident.
              NT '10 ARB Bar Lovels-HD Bilsteins TJM Snorkel Three Batteries Winch Ultraguage TPMS Lockup Mate HIKEIT and lots of other stuff

Comment

I cannot understand how fitting an intercooler which is more efficient will REDUCE exhaust gas temperatures. The purpose of the intercooler is to lower the temperature of the incoming air to the engine, thereby increasing its density and hence more oxygen. You can then inject more fuel and thus get more power. As long as you are burning ALL the fuel in the cylinders (and hopefully extracting as much power as possible), that is as much as you can get out of a given number of cubic centimetres of cylinder capacity. An intercooler will allow you to get more power from lower boost pressure because the air will have relatively more oxygen than the OEM setup. but I can only see the potential for INCREASING exhaust gas temperatures because you are likely to have more fuel in the cylinder than can be burnt, or the temperatures in the cylinders are getting too high because there is so much fuel being burnt there.

Having said this, I recognise that a better intercooler will improve performance, especially at lower revs so the driveability will certainly be enhanced. Probably a more effective way of improving performance would be to fit an exhaust system which had less resistance. This would certainly reduce EGTs.

Comment

I already have a 3" exhaust , have no idea what my EGT temps are as i have no sensor. But when i tow up a hill the intake temps goes above 100 and engine around 90 and i start smelling funny stuff, could just be new exhaust smell but i was looking at a cheap way to just reduce the intake temps a little as i don't really like 100 Celsius intake when it was only 18 outside, car was boosting at 20psi though.

Comment

I already have a 3" exhaust , have no idea what my EGT temps are as i have no sensor. But when i tow up a hill the intake temps goes above 100 and engine around 90 and i start smelling funny stuff, could just be new exhaust smell but i was looking at a cheap way to just reduce the intake temps a little as i don't really like 100 Celsius intake when it was only 18 outside, car was boosting at 20psi though.
                    What model Pajero do you have?

Comment

NS Pajero VRX 2007 3.2 DID

Comment

I custom fitted a 76mm thick RX7 one with 3” piping from air box to throttle body.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Boost pressure 20PSI? From new we never saw over 16PSI in our NS.

When our turbo started over boosting because of carbon build up it would go into limp mode at 18PSI.

New turbo fitted and we don't see over 16PSI.

Comment

Originally posted by erad View Post
                            I cannot understand how fitting an intercooler which is more efficient will REDUCE exhaust gas temperatures.
                            I guess the logic there would be that if the air entering the combustion chamber is already elevated, then it goes to reason that the resultant combustion temperature will also be increased,e.g, air entering the cylinder at 100C is likely to produce a hotter burn and greater EGT's than air entering at 15C, as an example. A richer mixture will always increase EGT's ina diesel.
                            2013 NW VRX

Comment

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                              Boost pressure 20PSI? From new we never saw over 16PSI in our NS.

When our turbo started over boosting because of carbon build up it would go into limp mode at 18PSI.

New turbo fitted and we don't see over 16PSI.
                              Hey,

I suspect its due to the exhaust + Tune i got, never had scanguage before that but i have now seen it go up to 21 Psi with no limp mode generated after the tune.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X