No announcement yet.

Cooking options for minus temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a bit of a muck around and have got the Coleman 533 stove to run. Not well, but better than nothing. With what I've learned, I've got the lantern running well. Along the way I've tried to fix my Soto/Kathmandu refillable butane lantern, but it has beaten me.

The rubberish cups in the pumps will expand if soaked for an hour or two in metho. Dunno how long it will last, but so far so good.

I stripped the cleaning wire out of the generator tube, and that has left enough space in the jet for things to work. But maybe too much flow down the generator? It sounds like I'm getting some liquid through the jet, but the stove is running OK.

But it is NOT simmering, no matter what I do. It will do anything between 90% and 100%, and it will do "off".

I can't imagine cleaning the generator. There are fittings for the cleaning wire and they don't want to move. So no brush is going down the tube.
    =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
    =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

Good work getting that far at least! I saw photos of the tubes cut in half, and noted the spiral wire for the cleaning wire to run in-no chance of getting anything up there. Not to mention the non removable jet and massive bends in the tube.

Be nice to know if something dissolves that gunk-sodium hydroxide maybe

Comment

It's alive!!

Works well, though took a little bit to settle down. Steps a bit trying to get flame down, but it looks like I can get the flame I want with a slight amount of fiddling.

out of interest, I did some sums comparing to other fuels and it doesn't look overly expensive to run on shellite despite buying it for $9/l. Running it on unleaded would cost almost nothing in comparison, but would need easy access to another generator, which going by scramblers comments doesn't look overly easy, at the moment at least
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks disco stu. Good to see your stove is alive. And let me know about the box: yours if you want.

The jet IS removable, and therefore cleanable whether or not the original cleaning wire is there.

Comment

Thanks scrambler. Have sent you another pm regarding the case.

Good to know the jet is removable. That improves things greatly. I read someone else say they were fixed in the generator which I thought was stupid. If I can work out what dissolves the crud from unleaded them it sounds easy enough to clean out.....Maybe

Comment

So I contacted Coleman in Aus about getting another generator so I have a spare, which would make me more comfortable if using petrol so I'm not stuck without a working cooker.

The reply I got was that those parts have been discontinued. I was pretty incredulous at this, considering this is a commonly changed part for their current model of stove that is still being sold. The part is also listed on their website, my enquiry was about trying to purchase one.

Given that, I'm now feeling fairly let down and have a decent sense of buyers remorse. I chose this more expensive option on the understanding that I could buy parts and keep it running in the longer term, and having a spare generator would mean I could use unleaded and not be stressing about generator tube being blocked. Told them all this in my reply. Will have to wait to see what they say.

They sent me a link to a US website which might have parts, they don't. How can you sell a product and offer warranty but not have parts for it?
              ​​​​
              Last edited by disco stu; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

I recalled that wholesalers were obligated to offer parts for their products. Checking the ACCC website I'm correct, needs to be available "for a reasonable period". I would assume that reasonable means a reasonable period after the product is no longer available, not while it's still available.

If it's not obvious, I'm fairly pissed about this. The stove ain't cheap compared to other alternatives and I paid the money intending to have it for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                  I recalled that wholesalers were obligated to offer parts for their products. Checking the ACCC website I'm correct, needs to be available "for a reasonable period". I would assume that reasonable means a reasonable period after the product is no longer available, not while it's still available.

If it's not obvious, I'm fairly pissed about this. The stove ain't cheap compared to other alternatives and I paid the money intending to have it for a long time.
                  Understandable to be PO'd. Stove has a 5 year warranty so poor form if these are not supported by the Australian Importer.

Stove is still listed on the Coleman USA website so the product is still made.
                  https://www.coleman.com/camp-kitchen...000003654.html

Some maintenance and storage tips from Coleman.
                  With a liquid fuel stove, transfer as much fuel as possible out of the fuel tank and back into the fuel can to prevent a lacquer buildup on the tank's fuel tube. Keep in mind that storing a liquid fuel appliance with fuel in the tank can eventually cause a buildup on the fuel tube, which restricts fuel flow to the generator and burner.
                  When it's time to take out your stove, remember to oil the pump cup on the tank's pump plunger at least twice a year with a light machine oil. This allows the cup to seal against the inside of the pump barrel and insures the pump will work smoothly and push air into the tank properly.

Found this online;
                  https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/prod...?productid=498

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Thanks old Jack. I didn't find that website in my searching, so I'll keep it in mind.

I'll see what they say tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by disco stu View Post

If I may, disco stu, take a deep breath. It's not as bad as it feels.

1) You know they have all the necessary parts. They sold you a complete stove. The warranty side is covered, even if they have to replace the whole stove. It's their cost not yours. Given the body of the stove is nearly indestructible their policy is weird, but on the other hand it saves holding spares. And saves having someone with the skills to repair the stoves.

2) The stove IS cheap relative to liquid burning field maintainable stoves. The options which are field maintainable are about 3 times the cost. Tough, nearly indestructible, able to be torn down and rebuilt by an amateur. The cheaper options are not liquid burning, or have roarer burners, or have no manufacturer support, or more likely a combination of these. And remember that you can buy this stove, unbranded, for half what you paid. The other half of the cost is having someone to chase if/when there's a problem.

3) Check with the importer what the life of the stove is when used per the instructions. It's a dual fuel stove: it is supposed to run on pump unleaded. Get the answer in writing. The reports online suggest around 18 months of weekend use- perhaps 100 -200 firings. If you light it 4 times a day, you might be lucky to get 6 months. But if they've said it will work for 5 years, go for it. You know they will have to give you a whole new stove because they don't have parts. You might have a new stove twice a year for the next 5 years.

You know they have to back the product. You know it has a 5 year warranty so can be expected to work at least 5 years. Burn unleaded. Drain the tank. Hand it back when it fails, get given a new one. You aren't going to Antarctica so it getting dodgy one weekend is a pain not a disaster.

Years back my mother asked a shoe shop for sports shoes that would stand up to my brother playing basketball at school. They guaranteed six months minimum from the shoes they sold her. 3 months later my Mum went back with the remains of the shoes and got given a free pair. That's what the ACCC will require. Hey- I'm here because Mitsubishi did a recall and paid me for the 20 year old car I had. The ACCC can get stuff to happen.

Line up the info, then enjoy the stove. And the next one. And ...

Comment

Thanks scrambler. Good point on the warranty, my concern is just that they'll say the generator is a normal maintenance item like tyres or whatever (instructions imply this) so that it blocking up isn't a warranty claim.

When I say expensive, I'm comparing to my other plan which was a single burner propane stove and running it on the green 450g canisters. Was going to refill them at least a few times each dropping the fuel costs down, and the whole thing would work out near half what I paid for this.

I will await their response tomorrow. Hoping that they will address what you say and I'll get it in writing

Comment

While a bit surprised they don't sell spares anymore, coming from a life in logistics I can understand this approach.
                          First of all, from my experience, Coleman spares aren't needed.... I might have that one in a million stove that just works forever without any maintenance.
                          Second, repair is mostly a thing of the past as paying for hours is more expensive than new items. Chances are if you take your car to the dealer to get something fixed they replace whole parts rather than some of their components like they did in the past.

Tbh, my mate that I was travelling with in Oz bought his 442 in Melbourne in July and had to buy a service kit for it in February the following year. He was unable to ever get it going again.
                          Tbf though, that 442 was going daily as we were living off our bikes and in tents the whole time. It was left outside and hit by surprise overnight showers and subsequently once had a motorcycle fall on it on night as the ground softened from rain and the stand sunk into the dirt.
                          I think he bought a spare generator, but from memory there was a piece of wire inside it that was the difficult thing to get right. This was 15 yrs ago, the details escape me.
                          https://www.amazon.com.au/COLEMAN-La.../dp/B000JXPNUK

Somewhat off topic - like I said, I'm in logistics and manufacturing (high end electronics) where we sell wholesale (not to end customers) and, while not the law (as we sell world wide, consumer laws differ and mostly just apply to end user sale), we promise our customer that we'll continue to support the product at our service center for 60 months (5 years) from end of life date. Sometimes we have to replace whole units just because the parts, or components to fix parts, are no longer available on the world market. High end niche products like hours it's cost efficient to repair rather than replace. Sometimes we're left with no other option than to replace with a new model. A procurement chain from A-Z can be 10 stages or more.

Comment

Thanks gravel seeker.

I did hear back from them today. The lady I was dealing with talked to the product team once I pointed out that the instructions say that the generator is a maintenance item that needs periodic replacement. Turns out they changed the numbering on it and it's still available, they just didn't tell anyone about the numbering change so customer service just see the old one as unavailable.

$15 plus $15 postage direct from coleman aus, or can order through any account holder.

I'm much happier about things now

Comment

Thanks disco stu. That makes sense. Except now I'll need to ponder whether it's worth getting the replacement part. $15 through a dealer? And I have a dealer 1km from my home.

Re Gravel Seeker's 442 story: the cleaning wire has to attach to the tap- a fiddly job and you might not expect it when you take the generator off. Just take every step slowly and methodically. No tap attachment though means no cleaning wire retraction when opening the tap. This blocks the jet.

Comment

I'm hoping it would be $15 through a dealer, that would be awesome.

Well, used the stove in anger over the weekend. It worked great. I went through around 1.5-2 tanks of fuel over 3 days cooking 3 meals a day plus countless coffees etc. Shellite leaves basically no smell, I'm guessing unleaded will be worse but will find out when I try it.

Was able to adjust the temp to whatever I needed for different types of food, so happy with that. The pumping was a little fiddly but it wasn't bad at all, be easier without frozen fingers though.

​​ Being so small it stored perfectly inside my pot with billy upside down over the top. Takes up much less space than old cooker

Only thing I would change is the pot support could be slightly larger, I figure the same diameter as the base is reasonable. Didn't cause an issue, but pan looked a little unstable at times with handle sticking out. I'll make an adjustment to that part I think.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X