Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for replacing my 3 man dome tent

Hi all,

Looking at upgrading my oztrail 3 man dome tent as its been around for about 13 years and has seen better days. Apart from some leaky seams its been an ok tent. After road tripping around the states for the last 9 weeks in one of these walmart specials I am thinking its time to buy myself a new tent. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-9-x-7-Instant-Dome-Tent-Sleeps-4/22281730

It will only really be used by myself when the wife doesnt come camping (we have a larger 4 man coleman dome) so I dont need the additional outside room that most dome tents offer. The walmart tent was awesome because the poles were integrated into the tent (no fly) and could not be removed - they had these bendy knuckles. The downside was condensation was a problem given that its single skin.

Can anyone recommend a decent brand I should be looking at or a brand to avoid? I probably dont want to spend more than $150-200 max.

I might even start looking at 2 man domes or even a swag, although the latter I am guessing would be a little dearer than a couple of hundred bucks!
    Andrew
    1989 NG Superwagon V6
    2017 Subaru Forester Diesel
    1974 Viscount Valiant Caravan

Have you seen the 3 second Malamoo tent's that RichB & Dom have? Base model is around $100
    http://www.oztent.com/malamoo

I have a cheap Roman swag that I picked up for $100 in their warehouse sale. Used it on the Yalwal trip and it did the job, for the amount of use I couldn't justify buying a more expensive model
    2009 NT GLS DiD 5spd - ARB Deluxe bar, Tigerz11 12,000lbs Winch, Airtec Snorkel, ARB Front Locker, TJM Rear Locker, Hankook AT-M 265/70/17, Bilsteins, Lovells HD 50mm, Bushskinz Intercooler, Sump, Trans & Transfer Case Guards, Brown Davis long range tank, Pioneer Head Unit, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Redarc SBI12, GME TX3440, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Stebel alarm & car horns, Rhino Pioneer Platform rack, DIY (Rear Shelf, Sliders, Fridge Slide), Ultragauge, 3" Exhaust

Comment

Thanks eman no I havent seen their tents but I have heard a few people in the club talking about these 3 second tents...are they the same ones as Greg Dixon sells at Roof Rack City?

They look the goods!

How do you find the $100 swag in terms of durability? Any good in the rain?
      Andrew
      1989 NG Superwagon V6

Comment

Yep they are the ones. I might take a closer look when I pop in to Roof Rack City during the week (won an awning at the Club Xmas party raffle )

Can't really comment on the durability of the swag just yet. Only used it once so far, I haven't tested it in the rain as yet but it should keep me dry. I've seasoned it 3 times and would hope that is enough.
        2009 NT GLS DiD 5spd - ARB Deluxe bar, Tigerz11 12,000lbs Winch, Airtec Snorkel, ARB Front Locker, TJM Rear Locker, Hankook AT-M 265/70/17, Bilsteins, Lovells HD 50mm, Bushskinz Intercooler, Sump, Trans & Transfer Case Guards, Brown Davis long range tank, Pioneer Head Unit, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Redarc SBI12, GME TX3440, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Stebel alarm & car horns, Rhino Pioneer Platform rack, DIY (Rear Shelf, Sliders, Fridge Slide), Ultragauge, 3" Exhaust

Comment

Get a swag mate, you wont look back.

Comment

I have an old (10 years) "instant up" tent similar to the Malamoo. Slightly different design, had trouble getting it "square", and the packed size was awkward - that was a disc 1.2m across.

I like the idea of the Walmart tent, but want a fly. I've been using an $80 oztent for a few years now, and I guess I'll be using it for a while longer.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

X2 on the malamoo. I have the 3 man pop up. 5sec up and about 30 sec down. Plenty room with section at front, seperate from main tent room for boots and bags that is covered.
              Only down side is it it folds down to a big circle but its flat and i store it on top of load or to the side on its edge.
              I love it. No messing with poles or rolling up to fit into a small bag.

Comment

thanks for the replies fellas, ill probably checking out a few tents this weekend...xmas is only around the corner afterall!
                Andrew
                1989 NG Superwagon V6

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X