Cheap fridge slide handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap fridge slide handle

I have a Kings fridge slide and to unlatch it you need to depress both little tabs on the sides. Not too hard but requires both hands, so if holding something to put in the fridge, bloody near impossible.

So after fitting the slide back into the pajero today, I decided to cut the tab off one side to make it easier. Realising that this would have the slide held by only one small metal tab, I decided to try putting a handle between both sides.

I cut a couple of slots in a piece of 32mm conduit and bingo!! A couple of offcuts jammed in the ends helps hold it in place.

There's a bit of wriggling and forcing to get it on but a bit of patience helps.

Not the prettiest handle but it only took 20 minutes and most important IT WORKS
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent catch can, Boos bash plates, Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, fridge slide, kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, more to come...

Good job. I used a bit of 12mm aluminium angle and riveted it to each lock with the same result. Also makes actually pulling out the fridge much easier too.
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Does annoy me hands full etc, i like that simple

Bit cheaper than genuine article & i've always suspected this needs to go below ground level to unlatch unlike your design.

https://dunnandwatson.com.au/shop/fr...ver-bar-latch/
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

Originally posted by Nab View Post
        Good job. I used a bit of 12mm aluminium angle and riveted it to each lock with the same result. Also makes actually pulling out the fridge much easier too.
        Would like to see how you riveted it on, it's one of those one day jobs for me

Comment

Sorry this is the only pic I can fine, Paj was sold. I literally drilled straight through the little locking tabs (4mm hole), did the same on the piece of angle and riveted together. 30mins tops including unpacking/packing tools and clean up...

SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Have same issue with same Kings slide as Two Emms but haven’t been stuck needing two hands to open.
            I unlatch one side and pull slide out and to the side a tad, and it stays unlatched. Grab the other latch and pull straight out, all with one hand.
            2015 NX GLS with stuff added

Comment

Originally posted by DT6061 View Post
              Have same issue with same Kings slide as Two Emms but haven’t been stuck needing two hands to open.
              I unlatch one side and pull slide out and to the side a tad, and it stays unlatched. Grab the other latch and pull straight out, all with one hand.
              Tried that and the #$%&! first latch would re engage as I undid the second (maybe I have a coordination issue )

Actually it was not really high on my list of mods to try but I had just put the fridge back on board, looked at it, and decided to spend 10 minutes trying to work out how to make it easier to open. I think the photos show pretty clearly that it was "make it up as you go" rather than carefully considered quality engineering
              2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent catch can, Boos bash plates, Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, fridge slide, kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, more to come...

Comment

I only think about it when my hands are full .
                No play in my slide, it's in a camper trailer so doesn't get rattled around maybe, but she's both latches together

Comment

Hi Two Emms, nice quick job - this is mine, not quite a carefully considered quality engineering job and it did take a bit more than 20 minutes.
                  I found it easy to pull off the blue plastic covers on the end of each slide and using aluminium angle just shape up the brackets , screwed directly onto the exposed metal catch of each runner, and used an 8mm aluminium rod to join them. It is very easy to use one handed and there is no flex in the handle. To close you just hold down and push back, all one handed again.
                  slide 1.jpg slide 2.jpg slide 3.jpg
                  Cheers
                  Peter​

Comment

Nice work

I was a bit hesitant to pull the plastic off the ends in case the metal tabs were too small to fix to. Now that I can see what's in there, the conduit handle will be upgraded.
                    Thanks for the inspiration

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X