stiffening up my rear bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiffening up my rear bar

A little while back the minister and i decided we'd head west looking for another bush camp and found on the google map a good looking little creek called Wicketty War that has a few crossings so we packed and took off, the track wasn't too tight or technical but the approach and departure angles of the creek bank got worse the further we went in and the rear bar started really digging in and getting scratched up.

By the time we hit the last couple of crossings i honestly thought the rear bar was back up the track or floating down stream, after that i grabbed some ally 100x5 flatbar and made something a little stronger and slightly higher that i could sacrifice if needed and put the original plastic one away for when i sell the paj. The whole thing is tig welded with gussets that go under and tie into the towing sub frame so it can slide off rocks easily without doing damage to any of the plastics.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Looks pretty good well done. I like the look of the extra bracket/protector to house the Anderson plug as well.

Duncan
    Duncan
    ------------------------------------------------------
    MY21 NX GLS not much done to it yet, catch can, uhf

2007 NS VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, ARB Bar, Warn winch, IPFs, Dual Bat, GME TX3440 UHF, Custom rear storage, BFGs, Suspension upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by hg70 View Post
      A little while back the minister and i decided we'd head west looking for another bush camp and found on the google map a good looking little creek called Wicketty War that has a few crossings so we packed and took off, the track wasn't too tight or technical but the approach and departure angles of the creek bank got worse the further we went in and the rear bar started really digging in and getting scratched up.

By the time we hit the last couple of crossings i honestly thought the rear bar was back up the track or floating down stream, after that i grabbed some ally 100x5 flatbar and made something a little stronger and slightly higher that i could sacrifice if needed and put the original plastic one away for when i sell the paj. The whole thing is tig welded with gussets that go under and tie into the towing sub frame so it can slide off rocks easily without doing damage to any of the plastics.
      Noice, any chance you know the angle of the dangle. I've pondered something along those lines but thought a bent piece over welded.

Now don't want to sound creepy, but i googled Wicketty War creek and see its west of Riverstone. Also see its not far from Blackheath, and Blackheath we go for week after Xmas.

You make WWC worth a look even for a potential picnic lunch. Can you offer any other gems around the area or Newnes way.

Comment

Originally posted by hg70 View Post

Nice job!!

Comment

jaffles yes it's not too far from there. the track we took went from hampton and we ended up in the big pine plantation, once you're out of the creek we turned left and went up the hill taking then took the track to the left as the right track had washouts 4 and 5 feet deep. i would do the right side track but only if i had a few hours to play with and another car with a winch. one section past the washouts gets pretty bouncy heading into the plantation but wasn't nasty by any means.

i thought the same thing with just a bent piece but there are a few subtle curves in the original bar that i decided to follow so all the lines matched up, the dangle i used was 68⁰ since i shortened it slightly but 65⁰ should still be fairly sweet and if you head out toward oberon or hampton go check out bindo reserve, it can get busy with campers and fishos but it's a really nice spot.

Comment

[QUOTE=DGM;n1095216]Looks pretty good well done. I like the look of the extra bracket/protector to house the Anderson plug as well.

it's already been dragged over rocks and logs and apart from being pushed up it hasn't bent or come loose and only took 20 minutes to make.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X