Intercooler Upgrade NP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler Upgrade NP

Well it was a spur of the moment project and after a stint through the Coomera tracks in QLD and a pile of clay that managed to wedge itself between the Bushskins sump guard and the std intercooler I decided to upgrade. Now I didnt want to go too extreme size wise but on the other hand an increased surface area and improved location that would be clear from mud and sludge.
    Now I sourced a replacement off eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayIS...ht_1125wt_1037

550x140x65 Bar & Plate Intercooler - core size

I then removed my front grill and ran a strip of alloy angle to bolt the intercooler to. Once in place and a visit to my mates place where we removed the old unit and plumbed in the new with 2 1/4 inch pipe. Now we used 4 x 90 degree bends and 1 x 45 along with re-using with a light modification the LH pipes. Now on the euro model I had to cut the centre upright below the bonnet catch and replace with a strip of heavy alloy (steel would have been better but I used what I had on hand). This allowed me to mount the intercooler back further. I then cut a slot out of the back and did away with the front grill bracket as the existing LH and RH mounting points were strong enough. With the pipes we cut (with a hole saw) two holes through the front uprights near the headlights and either side of the radiator. This allowed the pipes to be plumbed more directly...they fit like a glove. I then had to cut the bottom headlight mounts off the bottom brackets and with three still remaining they still held firm. We put it all back together last night and took it for a test drive and there was a noticeable improvement in pick up through all gears with boost kicking in around 500rpm earlier. I was going to get a tune after this upgrade but will hold off as I am more than happy with the power increase. I will try and upload some pics.

Sounds good, and look forward to some pics.
    Cheers,
    Andrew.
    Cheers,
    Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
    Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

Now one thing I forgot to mention was I had to move the radiator expansion tank (pic included)
      Attached Files

Comment

sorry I should have taken a pic b4 we put the grill back on but you get the idea.
        Attached Files

Comment

costs:

- 4 elbows 1x45 and clamps $120
          - 1 length of pipe $25 (prob too much but he had me over a barrel)
          - intercooler $120
          - 1 carton of beer $45
          - all the tools and paint I had on hand
          - with no idea it took around 5hrs to put together

Comment

And it is now mounted where it should have been from factory.
            Cheers,
            Andrew.
            Cheers,
            Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
            Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

Yip I agree on that 100%, I'm not sure if a chip now will help with all mods or if they are based around a standard setup...not sure how all that works...with my snorkle and k&n I have better airflow and not the improve intercooler will a chip help make the most of what I have or would it be better to have it the-mapped?

Comment

Do you have before and after intake temps? What boost are you getting at the manifold now?
                I've been looking at a similar setup but my money seems to go elsewhere on the PJ.
                .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

I'm in the process of installing some gauges as my mates who are petrol heads asked the same question. I'm a little old school and work through trial and error along with logic...prior to the intercooler mod in the mornings and evening with a cooler air temp my power was fine but in the mid 30s I always had power problems and lag. Now today it's 30+ and she kicks like a mule with no drop. The other obvious bonus will be all that mud and crap that used to block the old one...even with regular cleaning I couldn't believe how much crap was on the reverse side. When I get the gauges on I will post results...maybe someone has the std specs to compare. Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X