Drawer systems + child seat anchors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawer systems + child seat anchors

Looking at putting some drawers in the back of my '09 NT, and have looked at a number of previous DIY threads as I'm thinking of building them myself. BUT - I have 2 kids still in child seats requiring the rear anchors. Anyone know a neat way around this? Or legal requirements regarding shifting anchors to the top of a drawer system? Got a few ideas to build around them but thought I'd see if its been done before?
    Cheers
    Justin

Originally posted by Dogtor View Post
    Looking at putting some drawers in the back of my '09 NT, and have looked at a number of previous DIY threads as I'm thinking of building them myself. BUT - I have 2 kids still in child seats requiring the rear anchors. Anyone know a neat way around this? Or legal requirements regarding shifting anchors to the top of a drawer system? Got a few ideas to build around them but thought I'd see if its been done before?
    Cheers
    Justin
    Great question. Was thinking of this exact same thing myself today. Will watch for answers too.

Comment

Moving anchor point will require an engeneering certificate and I would not attempt it unless you don't really like your kids anyway
      AFAIK the anchor points are only vital if you have all seats in, this means using proper high tensile bolts you can use the mount points for the other seats as well as the points for the 2nd row seat if proper mounting plates and slightly longer bolts are used.
      A few weeks ago we had a similar problem as my old neighbour tried to get three baby seats in the second row.
      After [email protected]*$#@*$#@*$#@*$#ing Vicroads on the matter of a missing mount point for the middle seat they suggested to use metal bar on the floor that is securely mounted and bolted to the floor and to put all mount points for the three seats on that.
      For obvious reasons they stated it should be done by a proper workshop and engeneered but also gave the hint that there are no official regulations about that in Victoria.
      So in the end we went overkill and created a flat bar frame under the carpet that is mounted to the second row seat points and added three bars to other big screw holes just in case.
      After that my neighbour decide it does not look strong enough!!?? and welded the complete first bar to the floor of the car.
      I don't think it will ever break nor will someone be able to remove it ROFL
      But I guess if you construct a solid bar system in the front of your drawers and securely bolt it down noone will complain.
      If in doubt check with you local cop shop and I would say if done properly they won't complain either.
      Just keep in mind that you secure your own kids and you will get the right measurements for sure
      '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
      Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Correct they have to be ADR approved..

The Ironman Draws I just put in the Paj have that approval & I have a restraint fitted, while in Brissy the new Grand son joined us on Bribie Island..

If you DIY one make sure you get it engineered.. The little 1s are to precious.. not saying you intended to, as you have asked the right questions just making sure all understand

Gus.
        VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
        NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

I have 3 kids that need the child restraints fitted.

When I made rear storage I just cut holes around the anchor points and made the slide a bit shorter so it wouldn't foul on the belt. I then store random bits that I don't use often around the anchor points so the space isn't wasted.

This pic shows the holes cut for the 2 of the three anchor points. I also notched out the top shelf and so far it has been great.

More pics here:
          http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...t=23322&page=3
          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

There are bars called CRABs or something, (Child Restraint Anchor Bar?) that you can buy that bolt into the wheel arches or sides of the body I believe. Have never seen one in a Pajero and you'd end up cutting the trim also to fit it.

Originally posted by Gus View Post
            Correct they have to be ADR approved..

The Ironman Draws I just put in the Paj have that approval & I have a restraint fitted, while in Brissy the new Grand son joined us on Bribie Island..

If you DIY one make sure you get it engineered.. The little 1s are to precious.. not saying you intended to, as you have asked the right questions just making sure all understand

Gus.
            Any chance of some pictures Gus, this has been something playing on my mind. I don't have children....yet, but i do have a godson and his brother who sometimes get in our car. The wife would be most unimpressed with me if I were to modify the car and her not me able to use the restraint points, she's unimressed enough about the height to lift a child after the suspension lift let alone once I get new tyres
            2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

Give me a PM prompt me tomorrow after 3pm out having a few & heading home in morning..

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback. I was just looking at the Ironman drawers actually, didn't realise they already had child restraint certification! I wonder if others do too? Still just trying to configure a setup to access the underfloor storage once the rear seats are out as I don't plan putting a water tank or anything down there. I like your setup Nab, looks easy to get in and out as well if needed. Cheers. Justin

Comment

Considering this topic is of general interest for a lot of people, I think it might be worth to stick infos about anchor points somewhere.
                  We all love our kids and want to stay safe, so if I think this is a topic well worth of being available for future reference.
                  '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
                  Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

I've just finished building a storage unit for the back of our NM, we have 2 child seats so we had to consider them. What I found was the fridge and slide do not reach into the boot far enough to cover the tie-down points, and the drawer depth was limited by the straps anyway so I just built the unit so it stops against the bolts of the tie-down points. While it does leave a 6 inch (approx) gap between the back of the storage and cargo barrier, this is a convenient space for compressible items like pillows and sleeping bags as well as leaving a decent air space for the back of the fridge...
                    2001 NM 2.8TD GLS Pajero, ARB bar, 9000lb Tmax winch, Airtec snorkel, GME UHF, breathers, 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, rear storage, Ebay HID's, King EHD lift, LED lighting, dual battery kit, bushskinz intercooler/sump guards, narva +120 globes, tigerz awning, Exedy HD SMF clutch/flywheel kit, pinstriping aplenty...

To do list: Locker, sliders, transmission guard, blah blah blah....

Comment

O'k Rhys, sorry mate had a look can't get to it to take photo..

Reason is they are designed for the half cargo barriers & I have left my full one in & modified the mounting a little..

But I'll try & explain.. how they work/attach.

Before you bolt the wooden top down along the back is the fixing points for the car seat bolts/attachment, (solid mounting points through metal frame), after you attach the top bolts down so the straps basically go straight down the back of the seats 1 each side if you go to their web page from memory they explain there unfortunately no pics

Thanks for the reminder I was out having a few with this bloke..

Untitled by gus_paj, on Flickr

And he say's G'day from the passenger seat of my Paj to you all..

Untitled by gus_paj, on Flickr

Pickle is out with the guys shooting a couple DVDs in the Vic High Country & I popped up to thank John, (Roothy), for his support, (which was well over due too), as I owed him a drink!

John was saying he's quiet impressed with Pajero's as a tow vehicle & capable off roader..
                      Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

I think I understand what you mean Gus, unfortunately can't find any pictures but I'll keep looking. How come your mighty Paj isn't in the high country as part of DVD shoots? Will be the day when an all independant 4wd was on 4WD Action DVD.
                        2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

Comment

Pickle is guide it includes towing..

Oh & mine was in the mag & on DVD in Issue 117..since then a lot more mods on though. A few others from on here have been in the Mag too.

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                            Pickle is guide it includes towing..

Oh & mine was in the mag & on DVD in Issue 117..since then a lot more mods on though. A few others from on here have been in the Mag too.

Gus.
                            I have got the DVD with your car in it. Also steveandviv I think with their blue gen 3? I meant more so on the DVD trips. They seem to be trying to be more and more insane each one, although I was glad they finally sent Graham back to do a couple in glorious WA, so many more fantastic locations they could have sent him though.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X