Custom rock sliders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom rock sliders

ok ive decided to have a go at making some custom rocker sliders for my NP pajero, just trying to decide between square bar or round bar. any suggestions? also what diameter bar should i use? i just went to the local steel supplier and they have 3.25 meter lengths of round bar which has a 60mm outside diameter for $15 each as offcuts. cheap as but is 60mm to big? what are your thoughts on this? cheers for any help.
    Currently Own
    - 2008 NS 3.2L TD - Smart Bar, Warn winch, Kings spot lights, Dual batteries, UHF, Roof basket, Kings Awning, AT tyres + more to come!
    - 2006 NP 3.8L - Alloy bullbar, Spotlights, Ironman 2" lift, UHF, AT tyres

Previously Owned
    - 1992 NH 2.5L TD - Bullbar, Winch, Roof basket, UHF, AT tyres

60mm does seem a bit big. You'd probably want 32NB or 40NB pipe if you can get it.
    '02 NM GLX 3.2 DiD Manual
    Bullbar, 2'' Ultimate Suspension, Cooper AT3's, Spotties.

Comment

I went with square tube as I dont have a notch cutter. I also think 60 would be to big, 40 would be better.
      Cheers,
      Andrew.
      Cheers,
      Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
      Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

Use cds(cold drawn) tube at around 40-45mm and 3mm wall thickness.
        If you don't have a notch cutter or bender then square is the go. If you have a bender or access to one and not a notch cutter then just use square main bar and holesaw the holes on an angle through the main bar.
        Square disforms easier but does the job intended.
        97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
        97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

thanks for the replies. i agree 60mm is abit big. it was just a quarter of the price of the 40mm lol. i think ill wait alittle longer as id like to use round bar so ill start looking for a bender. are the $200 ones at supercheap auto anygood for bending 40mm pipe?
          Currently Own
          - 2008 NS 3.2L TD - Smart Bar, Warn winch, Kings spot lights, Dual batteries, UHF, Roof basket, Kings Awning, AT tyres + more to come!

Previously Owned

Comment

went out this morning and brought some 40nb tube. wasnt as cheap as the 60nb but looks alot better. i removed my standard exceed sidesteps (took longer to unplug the wires to the sidestep lights with the dirt and crap in there) than to unbolt it. cut the inside longer tube to size and worked out the bend angles. just have to chase up a pipe bender now and work out the mounting brackets, not sure if i should cut up the original side steps for the mounting brackets or fabricate up new ones. decisions decisions.
            Currently Own

Previously Owned

Comment

I built my rock sliders a couple of months ago and used pipe. With pipe, you don't really need a bender if you're willing to design the slider around 45 degree bends, which is not hard. Blackwood's sells 45 and 90 degree bends in common sizes and thicknesses, may be cheaper than a bender if more hassle
              1995 NJ GLS 2.8TD LWB

Comment

My metal place down the road sells the angles also in different sizes and wall thickness, these are sized to match the pipe they sell.

Yes a hyd pipe bender from sca is fine for thick wall stuff. Anything thin like 1.5mm wall or anything over 90 degree is asking a bit much and will kink the pipe. For your intended use it will work without the need for sand packing etc.
                Definately make your own mounts. I'd go with some 75mmx6mm flat bar at the least and add a small gusset on the chassis end for support.
                97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

thanks for the replies. ill go and have a look at the angles tomorrow and ill grab some 6mm flat bar while im there also.
                  Currently Own

Previously Owned

Comment

Hi any pics of the way it is mounted to the vehicle?
                    Cheers
                    Richo

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X