2 piece split level rear shelf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 piece split level rear shelf

Hi All, don't post on here often but do a lot of browsing and picked up some good ideas so I thought it time to share.

I have an NW and like most I use the under floor storage where the 3rd row seats go and also have the dreaded issue of not being able to open up the back door with the caravan hooked up. This is what I came up with....

It's a 2 piece split level rear shelf system that allows easy access to the under floor storage and also provides access to the Engel from the rear side door.

All materials came from Bunnings for under $400. I used their click it square tubing system to build the frames with 12mm ply and marine carpet. Then used turn-buckles to hold the rear shelf in place (using tie down points) with the front shelf much lower so it doesn't need to be secured. I then store the Engel on the smaller shelf with access via the rear passenger door when the caravan is hooked up and have plastic tubs under the rear shelf for extra storage. The width of the smaller shelf is enough that the Engel wedges between the rear seats and the larger shelf so that it doesn't move. The smaller shelf just lifts out when you don't need to use it making the use of the back seats still possible.

If anyone wants more info, just let me know...

Warren
    2012 NW DiD Activ

Exellent idea, easy to take out when you want to use the car for every day use.

Comment

That looks bloody brilliant!

any chance of getting some measurements???

Comment

wow awesome, any chance of getting the measurements too?

Comment

Looks great. May I suggest removing the plastic tie down points and put an eye bolt straight into where it was. Will give more secure attachments.
          Prado 150 petrol.
          Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
          Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.

Comment

nice work!
            MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

I've been inspired, I'm seriously considering doing something similar. I'll post results if it happens.

Comment

Project is underway.

It looks a little on the piss at the moment but it'll all pull in and strengthen when the floor goes down. I plan on popping some nutserts into the tubes (about 36 all up) and using stainless bolts to hold it down. That way if I need to take the floor up it's not going to strip out any threads from the constant removal of the bolts. I'm also doing a home made fridge slide and I'll probably keep some storage tubs underneath. I have made the height 300mm but it will likely come down 50mm.

Chances are I won't get it finished before Easter so you'll have to wait a little longer to see the final product but I'm hoping to at least get the floor cut tomorrow afternoon.
                Troy711
                Valued Member
                Last edited by Troy711; 29-08-17, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Wow.... 3 years ago I did that. It's still going strong and works a treat.

Troy711 - You'll notice on mine I added an extra set of legs at the widest part (back door end) just for a bit of extra strength as you will find it will bow in the middle with any decent weight. Look at the 2nd & 3rd photos showing the legs near the anchor point.

whynot - I don't actually secure anything that heavy that would require that sort of strength.

With regard to measurements, I should get off my a$$ and do that shouldn't I For the timber I just used cardboard and cut out a template.
                  Warren
                  2012 NW DiD Activ

Comment

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post

Troy711 - You'll notice on mine I added an extra set of legs at the widest part (back door end) just for a bit of extra strength as you will find it will bow in the middle with any decent weight. Look at the 2nd & 3rd photos showing the legs near the anchor point
                    Cool, cheers for the tip. I'll see how mine goes, I might just add some extra bracing with some left over ply, I was also thinking of doing some small wings on the front in case I add a dual battery in the floor so I can mount all the gauges and stuff there, I reckon that will make it nice and tight. I did think of adding a hinged door on the front, but I think I'm getting too fancy hahah.

Comment

Progress update. I have the board cut and I'm just in the process of drilling and mounting the nutserts. I've had to make it a 2 piece base for 2 reasons. First of all, it wouldn't fit in the back door as a single piece, no way in hell. And second, i borked my measurement on my template and made it 100mm too narrow! This means I'll definitely be adding some bracing underneath, be it a length of ply or some angle brackets or even both, I'll see how it goes with the fridge on top. I'm going to try and get the top carpeted today and maybe start on the fridge slide. I've bought some hinges to make a door for the front but I'm going to have to check clearance around my rear door table.

I'll post some more pics when the carpet goes on.
                      Troy711
                      Valued Member

Comment

Almost finished. I just need to build the fridge slide and front door. I reckon Monday will be the day to get it done so watch this space.

Troy711
                        Valued Member

Comment

Awww c'mon now, you're putting my original build to shame. Just stop it.

Looking good, coming along very nicely.

Have you secured the shelf down (like I did with turnbuckles) or are you just letting it sit there relying on the weight? And clean around that back door seal, it's filthy
                          2bad4u
                          Valued Member
                          Last edited by 2bad4u; 23-04-17, 12:52 AM.
                          Warren
                          2012 NW DiD Activ

Comment

Haha I'm going all out! I've secured it the same as you did, I wouldn't trust the weight of the fridge fully extended on the slide. And yep, the rubber is filthy. In my quest to rid my car of the dreaded rear door squeak I sprayed the rubbers to no avail haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Troy711 View Post
                              Haha I'm going all out! I've secured it the same as you did, I wouldn't trust the weight of the fridge fully extended on the slide. And yep, the rubber is filthy. In my quest to rid my car of the dreaded rear door squeak I sprayed the rubbers to no avail haha.

If you have a rear door squeak it's likely the rubber locator on the door itself, that goes into the guide. Adjust your latch so the door closes fully. Mine was so worn the the interior lights kept flashing while driving.... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
                              '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
                              '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
                              '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X