No announcement yet.

Suspension lift and Poly Air Fittment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension lift and Poly Air Fittment.

Here's another project of mine. On Friday, a mate and myself are gonna raise my NS V6 Pajero using lovells springs and chuck in a set of Poly Airs in the back, all supplied by Pearcie. No shocks yet as I don't have the cash and can't bring myself to chuck away a brand new set of shocks that have only done less than a 1000 ks, unless someone wants to sponsor me in the save John fund.

I can't promise that this is gonna be text book, but something's better than nothing.

I'm doing this as I'm tired of being screwed around by ARB here in Newcastle. just a mad plug!!!!

Will post this info next week sometime.

John
    Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

John

Sounds good, I'll let you do it first - Then copy.

Chris
    2008 NS 25th Anniversary 3.2L Auto - Mickey Thompson Baja STZ 265/60R18, Tow Bar, ARB Saraha Bar, Old Man Emu Nitro Charger Sport 2" lift.
    Limited Edition Mighty Bulloak Camper Trailer - All mods including a 2" lift.

Comment

Love the Pollys - Bet you will to.
      2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here's the instructions.

Enjoy.

John
        Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

Excellent instructions.

Didn't think it was that easy on this car.

Now to convince the minster I need a raise....

Peter
          | Gunmetal NS Exceed DiD with Dakar leather | Factory rear Diff Lock | Alloy Nudge Bar | MMCS | Moonroof | GME TX3440 | Custom rear Storage | Stebel Compact Air Horn |
          | Ford Focus XR5 Turbo in Electric Orange |

Comment

Good job john have you any measurement from the rim to the wheel arch before and after ?
            NP 03 Exceed. 3.5l petrol. Injected LPG. 2in lift, Poly air at rear, custom rear storage, 10 wheeels, 5 tyres looking for some new tyres,

Comment

Good work - as usual a couple of comments:

For the front:

Support underneath the lower suspension arm with another jack before undoing the strut top bolts. Then lower it slowly.

There is no need to completely remove the top control arm. Undo the three bolts on the top ball joint, remove the bolt through the bottom of the strut, and you will have enough clearance to remove the unit if you hold the upper A arm up out of the way (while still bolted in)

Use locktite on the ball joint bolts and dont swing a spanner too hard on them - they are soft.

On the rear:

MAKE SURE you support the lower control arm on a jack before undoing the bolt to the hub assembly and jack it up to take a little weight. Otherwise you will be likely wearing a coil spring in the face! Once the bolt is removed lower the jack slowly until the spring is fully extended. Then remove the coil. The bolts will not need any persuasion if you use this method and position the jack height correctly.

Cheers - Pat
              16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
              10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

I had a doosey of a time not undoing the top control arm bolts. In the long run, it was quicker to do it this way.

Also, the ball joints are now made a stronger alloy, but still, don't over torque.

I kind of said to support the wheel assy when undoing the bolts, but hey, it didn't come across that way.

Anyways, I appreciate the input.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                  There is no need to completely remove the top control arm. Undo the three bolts on the top ball joint, remove the bolt through the bottom of the strut, and you will have enough clearance to remove the unit if you hold the upper A arm up out of the way (while still bolted in)

Cheers - Pat
                  im in the middle of doing it now,,but i cant get it out doing it your way ?? bit scared the driveshaft will pop out,
                  Also the pricks from Pedders rattled the top strut nuts on so dam tight i had to get a mobile mechanic out with a rattle gun ,,i broke a spanner and a socket set bit ,,,
                  NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

got there in the end !!
                    A mechanic mate of mine came over to help and by taking off the 3 ball joint bolts we managed to lift the upper 'wishbone' suspension arm up out the way using a large shifter (this takes a bit of muscle) and then easilly removed the struts .
                    sorry psroule ,,you were correct in not needing to remove the top bolts on the control arm,, but it is a 2 man job
                    Also my mate reckons you dont really need to worry about the hub/disc/bit that the wheel attaches to ,falling when you undo the ball joint, i was worried about the shaft popping out but we just left it to hang farward and had no probs, apparently it takes great effort to remove the shaft!
                    If you are going to change your struts yourself, then get a mate to lend a hand it will be much easier
                    also special thanks to pete (pete and mons NS) for offering to drive 45mins to my house and help on such short notice!!! gotta love these forumites
                    some pics,,,,,,,was hoping the rear would be higher ?? hopefully it will be better when i get my new tyres next week ?
                    cheers cam
                    Attached Files
                    NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

No problems - happy to help if I can

I don't understand the beer in the end? Did you have the glass in the Australia stubbie holder because it was an epic job? Or are you just showing off the home brew

Peter
                      | Gunmetal NS Exceed DiD with Dakar leather | Factory rear Diff Lock | Alloy Nudge Bar | MMCS | Moonroof | GME TX3440 | Custom rear Storage | Stebel Compact Air Horn |
                      | Ford Focus XR5 Turbo in Electric Orange |

Comment

Originally posted by green monster View Post
                        im in the middle of doing it now,,but i cant get it out doing it your way ?? bit scared the driveshaft will pop out,
                        Also the pricks from Pedders rattled the top strut nuts on so dam tight i had to get a mobile mechanic out with a rattle gun ,,i broke a spanner and a socket set bit ,,,
                        Thats no good, well it is good that you got it done at last. Nice job...

Chris
                        2008 NS 25th Anniversary 3.2L Auto - Mickey Thompson Baja STZ 265/60R18, Tow Bar, ARB Saraha Bar, Old Man Emu Nitro Charger Sport 2" lift.
                        Limited Edition Mighty Bulloak Camper Trailer - All mods including a 2" lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete & Mon's NS View Post
                          No problems - happy to help if I can

I don't understand the beer in the end? Did you have the glass in the Australia stubbie holder because it was an epic job? Or are you just showing off the home brew

Peter
                          should have explained the beer, it was just to show that no matter how crap a job can be ,it is always worth doing, knowing you have icy cold home brew on tap to quench your thirst when all is done haha

Comment

I've never realy had that much trouble removing the front struts while holding the top A arm up. I've done it about 5 times now (x 2 sides) and did it by myself each time. I think I rotated the strut assembly like a screw until it came clear enough of the A arm to withdraw.
                            16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
                            10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                              I've never realy had that much trouble removing the front struts while holding the top A arm up. I've done it about 5 times now (x 2 sides) and did it by myself each time. I think I rotated the strut assembly like a screw until it came clear enough of the A arm to withdraw.
                              You must be a man of steel ,,i didnt have the strengh to lift it high enough without using a long shifter, mine seems to have a lot of resistance when pulling it up?? maybe my rubbers are a bit stiff ?? ,my cars older so i would expect it to be more worn and easier,hmmm

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X