AM radio reception (NM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM radio reception (NM)

I'm interested to hear other peoples experiences with radio reception. Particularly the AM band in major cities.

I typically get a lot of interference when driving around the Sydney suburbs. However when I drive our other car it seems fine (2004 Subaru Outback).

Originally I thought it might be an earth issue. So pulled out the head unit and check the connection etc and reseated it. Didn't really improve the situation.

Am interested to hear if the NM Exceed radio is typically poor on AM or if it is my unit that is causing the problem. And I do realise the AM band has its limitations...

Any feedback appreciated.

Mike

Earth strap the bonnet. It is actually supposed to be listed on an MM service bulletin for owners who complain about AM reception.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Thanks Pat.

Do you mean I need to get one from MM?

Comment

No - it's a "service bulletin" so I doubt they would do it for free out of warranty. A bit of sturdy wire from bonet hinge bolt to body. I used an old battery earth strap I had but that was overkill.
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Cheers Pat. I'll give it a go.

Comment

It was actually a HOTLINE FIX, and was released a trillion or so years ago!

Add an earthstrap (p/n: MB541402) between the rearmost engine hood to hinge mounting and the rearmost front fender mounting bolt.
            Ensure that the underside of bolt head and threads are clean, and route the earth under the hood seal.

Doing this fixed any AM static problems most of the time, and the strap is cheap as chips through Mitsu spares.

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread, I've earth-strapped my NM's bonnet (just some reasonably heavy wire & crimp terminals) and that fixed the ignition interference that AM was suffering from, but I am still getting a high pitched whine when the ignition is on. Engine running or not - it appears as soon as the ignition is turned on.

I fitted a new aerial mast a week or two ago because of damage from overhead trees etc., and although the actual reception seems improved, the whine is still there.

Gaz
              2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Para Ordnance View Post

Add an earthstrap (p/n: MB541402) between the rearmost engine hood to hinge mounting and the rearmost front fender mounting bolt.
                Ensure that the underside of bolt head and threads are clean, and route the earth under the hood seal.

Doing this fixed any AM static problems most of the time, and the strap is cheap as chips through Mitsu spares.
                Thanks for the tip Para Ordnance. I might ring my dealer and see what it is worth then.

Cheers,
                Mike

Comment

Can someone explain why the earth strap is required considering the bonnet is connected to the body already.

Comment

just guessing, but I suspect it's because the contact through the hinges etc is no good - paint probably acts as an insulator. I know that putting the earth wire on mine made an amazing difference.

Gaz
                    2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

AM? What's AM?
                      Cheers, John.
                      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by Para Ordnance View Post

I can confirm this fixed my interferrence problems straight away. AM reception is now very good and no need to extend the antenna anymore. Wish I knew of this fix earlier...

Cheers,
                        Mike

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X