Searching for new aftermarket head unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for new aftermarket head unit

Browsing head units, as well as trying to workout what I need/want.
    This includes trying to teach myself about Android auto and Apple Carplay.
    To suit an NX GLX5 which has a touch screen, but vitually no other "new age" fandangle features (unless you call a cd player fancy). And reverse camera.

Anyone had experience with these? https://www.teyes.com.au/collections...2din-2-din-dvd

Also re reverse camera - I gather the standard cameras are 6 volt powered, but aftermarket head units require 12v units.
    Could a voltage reducer be used between the headunit power supply and the camera such as one of these https://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop...toyota-subaru/ to supply 6v to camera?
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

I don’t know about the headunit in the link, but I wouldn’t bother with the Toyota/Subaru reverse camera adapter. Aeropro make a specific one for Pajeros (apvmt03) that are plug and play specificly to use the factory camera with an aftermarket head unit with the correct voltage output for about $20 - https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au...AaAn5IEALw_wcB
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

we have had 2 of these units now - in general they are fine (especially for the price) have found our last one the supplied camera is quite grainy and we have the dash pod mount for it in our gen 2 and the camera goes out on hot days (anything over 30deg) I believe its the headunit at fault and over heating not the camera. also the factory mic on them is total crap - if you can get an external mic. the wiring is all little square plugs - our first one had a 3.5 jack connected to it but I had to use that connection for another one I fitted that did not come with all its plugs. (there are 4 in the rear IIRC) not all are used in most setups. I dont think it would be hard to wire in a 3.5 reciever and ours also came with a full pinout diagram - also had the pinout defined in the settings menu of one head unit. As I said we have owned 2 - I have installed another 2 and seen 1 more in a customers car at work.
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back AND 8 PSI of BOOOOOST

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans

Comment

I hated the standard 2015NX head unit and replaced it with a Polaris Toyota Luxx (best unit not requiring new surrounding facia). Very happy compared to the OEM unit but its not perfect. Better rear view screen display, I run Android using Oziexplorer mapping and Sygic turn by turn navigation (Waze works too), sound OK, works with steering wheel switches (except for voice recognition when dialing), sketchy voice recognition on Sygic but works well when hands free calling, shiny screen with can be hard to read if your passenger is wearng light clothing in sunlight, external microphone. Installation is a bit tricky - search for a previous thread on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
          I don’t know about the headunit in the link, but I wouldn’t bother with the Toyota/Subaru reverse camera adapter. Aeropro make a specific one for Pajeros (apvmt03) that are plug and play specificly to use the factory camera with an aftermarket head unit with the correct voltage output for about $20 - https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au...AaAn5IEALw_wcB
          I assume the Aeropro unit has a reg built in, plus the benefit of the included loom.
          Will probably get one regard of which head unit.
          PCOV Member 1107.
          Daily driver NX GLX
          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.

Comment

What are the ins and outs of ROM, RAM?

2G/32G, 4G/64G, 6G/128G. Each at extra cost of course.

Use will be FM radio, hands free phone, and basic maps (ie google maps when trying to navigate around unfamiliar towns).

Haven't really contemplated bush maps as usually just use old paper maps and follow my nose, but hoping this might give me an excuse to indulge in some electronic mapping platforms.
            PCOV Member 1107.
            Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

I have one of these… it’s a great unit. I also used the Aerpro factory camera 6V adapter which works fine, however I regret not just getting a new camera. The factory one is pretty low quality.

https://www.strathfieldcarradios.com...yABEgI4BfD_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy View Post
                I have one of these… it’s a great unit. I also used the Aerpro factory camera 6V adapter which works fine, however I regret not just getting a new camera. The factory one is pretty low quality.

https://www.strathfieldcarradios.com...yABEgI4BfD_BwE
                I don't thiink its the camera but the head unit. When I changed mine over the quality of the camera picture improved markedly. That's not to say a high resolution camera and screen display wouldn't give an even better picture, but to what end? You only need it to see who's behind you or approaching - not to be able to leaves on trees at 200m.

Comment

The headunit does 1080p full HD.

The quality improved markedly by replacing the factory headunit, but the factory camera is now the limitation. The $30 spent on the 6V Aerpro adapter would be better spent on a full HD replacement reverse camera.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X