Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NX TowPro v3 install - passenger compartment 4 way connector

Hi All,

Quick question which might have an obvious answer?

Question on the instructions for the TowPro kit TPWKIT-009 Pajero Gen4, I'm almost finished but stuck at step 29.

This is the step for inserting the black wire from the controller into an existing 4 pin connector on the left of the passenger footwell.

Install instructions expect if this plug is populated for it to be at pin 2, and to install the black wire to pin 4. But my car has an orange wire from the three pin connector dealt with in step 27 and it is already populating pin 4. Picture (poor) of the connector and the manual step is attached.

If I was more confident I would guess the Orange wire is related to tow bar wiring anyway and either pin2 or 4 can be used for both.

I can give them a call in the morning but thought someone here might already know the answer. Big day tomorrow - I want to move onto sorting out a single din UHF install to the card holder slot.

Cheers Peter
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    NX 2016 GLX 3.2lt Diesel 5sp Auto
    Tow 'n explore unit

I ran into this same problem several months back installing a TowPro with the TPWKIT-009 harness. The instructions have had a number of revisions over the years, the kit I purchased was old stock and had outdated instructions where you basically get to a dead end as the instructions don't match as you have found. In the latest revision (https://www.redarc.com.au/Images/upl...structions.pdf) step 31 now states that 'the colour of the wire on the vehicle-side of the terminal must match the wire colour on the vehicle-side of the terminal used in steps 27 - 30' which is more of a hint than prescriptive.

Basically the orange wire you have found needs to stay in place, this links up with the existing tow hitch harness which connects the battery to 4pin connector in the engine bay. You will need to connect the new TPWKIT-009 harness to the battery and to a free terminal in the engine bay 4pin connector (behind left headlight). You then need to trace where that terminal goes to in the footwell kick panel (using a test pen or multimeter).

Don't try to piggyback off the existing tow hitch harness power in the kick panel, firstly you don't want to exceed the current draw and secondly the towpro must be fused using an auto reset fuse, not a blade fuse which the tow hitch harness uses.

Let me know if you need some pics and I'll pull off the kick panel to take a pic and also the 4pin connector in the engine bay.
    2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells SD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

P.S. I also installed a Nautia custom single DIN slot at the same time as the tow pro. Mounted the towpro head unit on one side of the slot - a good spot to mount it I found easily accessible by both driver and passenger. Apologies for the mediocre photo.

20220110_085931.jpg
      Attached Files
      2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells SD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

Originally posted by dc80 View Post
        I ran into this same problem several months back installing a TowPro with the TPWKIT-009 harness. The instructions have had a number of revisions over the years, the kit I purchased was old stock and had outdated instructions where you basically get to a dead end as the instructions don't match as you have found. In the latest revision (https://www.redarc.com.au/Images/upl...structions.pdf) step 31 now states that 'the colour of the wire on the vehicle-side of the terminal must match the wire colour on the vehicle-side of the terminal used in steps 27 - 30' which is more of a hint than prescriptive.

Basically the orange wire you have found needs to stay in place, this links up with the existing tow hitch harness which connects the battery to 4pin connector in the engine bay. You will need to connect the new TPWKIT-009 harness to the battery and to a free terminal in the engine bay 4pin connector (behind left headlight). You then need to trace where that terminal goes to in the footwell kick panel (using a test pen or multimeter).

Don't try to piggyback off the existing tow hitch harness power in the kick panel, firstly you don't want to exceed the current draw and secondly the towpro must be fused using an auto reset fuse, not a blade fuse which the tow hitch harness uses.

Let me know if you need some pics and I'll pull off the kick panel to take a pic and also the 4pin connector in the engine bay.

P.S. I also installed a Nautia custom single DIN slot at the same time as the tow pro. Mounted the towpro head unit on one side of the slot - a good spot to mount it I found easily accessible by both driver and passenger. Apologies for the mediocre photo.
        Thanks dc80 that makes sense. I pushed on with that part of the install and installed the wire in the other position. I'll find which plug hole in the engine bay 4 plug has continuity with position 2 in the cabin 4 pin plug - assuming I've followed you correctly .

No need for pictures, I've been in there all day and will be back again in the morning.

Nice re the card holder replacement. I've gone a similar but more difficult route there - I'm installing a single din UHF in the slot where the card holder lived. Wires are run, and I've eyeballed where to brace from inside the cavity but that's a job for tomorrow. Your set up would have helped with Redarc's generous length of cable to the remote head dial .
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        Tow 'n explore unit

Comment

And done, thanks dc80 for the tips.

Checked for continuity on the in cabin power 4 wire plug to engine bay accessory four pin plug. Finished all my install work and the redarc remote head unit "breathes" blue light. I've found a trailerless test from redarc using a 22w globe across pin 5 and 3 on the 7 pin flat tow bar socket. I'll look at that soon to do the full verify.

Bit disappointing Redarc failed to cover this simple concept off in the instructions for the home installer. Granted mine were an old stock version but I did search the Redarc site and user forum and found less information than dc80 passed on.

And that the supplied remote controller lead could have been (even just) 50mm longer.

On the positive side, the instructions were otherwise clear and the supplied parts all good.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Tow 'n explore unit

Comment

Glad to hear it all worked out pshnfry - happy to help where I can! I didn't have a trailer with electric brakes at the time so did the trailer-less test which was pretty straightforward, the globe brightens as you turn the knob signifying increasing brake force.

Looks like a nice clean install and the UHF fits like a glove in the DIN slot - well done!

Comment

I have been following your discussion with interest as I am about to embark on the same voyage. I am confused about many aspects of this, not helped by info from RedArc and other supposed experts. A rather large assumption is that if my 2015 NX has a towbar fitted, that this would have been a MMA item and that it would have the respective harness components fitted by MMA at the same time. I have yet to find anything which gives me a way of verifying that these are in fact in place. I guess checking for the connectors in the kick panel and behind LH headlight mentioned in your posts would be a good start.
              I have purchased a TowPro Elite V3 12V unit (on special).
              Looking on RedArcs site they have in various places available Kit 009 (Pajero specific), although it specifies 2017 onwards in one place and all Pajero in another. Another page says to use Kit 013 (Generic kit) which just appears to bypass the bits of the MMA trailer harness. The use of a 30A circuit breaker for the battery feed is contradicted by the use of a fused connection in at least one of their kits.

To get to the point - the options appear to be.
              1. Use Kit 013 which is reliant on MMA trailer harness being present, and may need investigation to get power back from engine bay connector to kick panel connector.
              2. Use Kit 009 which requires feeding power cable through firewall and running supplied cable to trailer plug harness
              3. Run power from battery via a circuit breaker through firewall to connect to black wire from TowPro cable. Supply and run extended cables from red and blue wires on TowPro cable to vehicle rear and connect Red wire to existing red with diode protection (brake trigger from brake lights) and connect blue wire to trailer plug, removing and taping off any existing blue wire (brake activation feed from controller).

Comment

Originally posted by sleighbmw View Post
                I have been following your discussion with interest as I am about to embark on the same voyage. I am confused about many aspects of this, not helped by info from RedArc and other supposed experts. A rather large assumption is that if my 2015 NX has a towbar fitted, that this would have been a MMA item and that it would have the respective harness components fitted by MMA at the same time. I have yet to find anything which gives me a way of verifying that these are in fact in place. I guess checking for the connectors in the kick panel and behind LH headlight mentioned in your posts would be a good start.
                I have purchased a TowPro Elite V3 12V unit (on special).
                Looking on RedArcs site they have in various places available Kit 009 (Pajero specific), although it specifies 2017 onwards in one place and all Pajero in another. Another page says to use Kit 013 (Generic kit) which just appears to bypass the bits of the MMA trailer harness. The use of a 30A circuit breaker for the battery feed is contradicted by the use of a fused connection in at least one of their kits.

To get to the point - the options appear to be.
                1. Use Kit 013 which is reliant on MMA trailer harness being present, and may need investigation to get power back from engine bay connector to kick panel connector.
                2. Use Kit 009 which requires feeding power cable through firewall and running supplied cable to trailer plug harness
                3. Run power from battery via a circuit breaker through firewall to connect to black wire from TowPro cable. Supply and run extended cables from red and blue wires on TowPro cable to vehicle rear and connect Red wire to existing red with diode protection (brake trigger from brake lights) and connect blue wire to trailer plug, removing and taping off any existing blue wire (brake activation feed from controller).
                I would go with Kit 009 - this is actually the Pajero specific kit, whereas Kit 013 is universal and suits several vehicles. Agreed, you will need to do some investigation first.

One of the benefits of Kit 009 is that it also comes with a Pajero specific mounting bracket which allows you to securely mount the TowPro unit under the dash to a defined fixing point. It is vital that the unit is mounted to a rigid surface for the inertia mechanism in the unit to function correctly. It also includes a patch loom that connects into the factory wiring in the rear interior quarter panel (see step 13 in the instructions). If there isn't a massive difference in price between Kit 009 and Kit 013, definitely go with the Pajero specific 009 kit if you can get one. I have a MY16 (2015 built) Pajero and used this kit. Looking at the 013 kit it is more universal and looks like there is more work involved and unlike the 009 the install approach will be more 'aftermarket' than 'factory' so to speak i.e. running wiring here any there versus plugging in patch looms into the factory loom.

In regards to using a non-MMA towbar I don't think you should have an issue in the footwell. There is a 3 pin connector (referenced in step 27) where the kick panel meets the floor. One wire (let's call this wire A) supplies your brake signal from what I suspect is the ECU(?) and feeds into the TowPro. Another wire (call this wire B) in this connector will connect to the battery (this is for the MMA towbar anyway) and feeds the tow hitch ECU power in order to pass power to the park/brake/indictor lamps for the trailer (I disconnected this to verify this and I didn't have any lights on my trailer). The last wire (call this wire C) I recall goes to your TowPro to receive the service brake signal. So basically it goes like this:

Wire A (ECU brake signal) > Tow Pro > Wire C (direct to service brake pin on trailer plug socket)

I can find out what wire colour goes to what if you like, let me know. I found that some of the info in relation to wire locations and colours were not 100% accurate in Redarc's instructions.

What I'm not sure about that is the patch loom in the rear interior panel, this is something you will need to look into.

Comment

If you do go with Kit 009 you can get it on special for $236 at present:

https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au...hoCQUkQAvD_BwE

The Kit 013 is only $42 cheaper from the same retailer. I'd definitely go 009 for the convenience.
                  Last edited by dc80; 1 week ago.

Comment

I rolled the dice and ordered Kit 009, thanks dc80 for your help.

Comment

In addition to the official Mitsubishi towbars I know the arb Hayman Reece fitting comes with the Pajero specific Mitsubishi wiring loom, and the Milford industries towbar i have fitted has the same. The four pin engine bay socket is a good indicator if checking as it will already have a single wire present.
                      Tow 'n explore unit

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X