Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Aerial / Antenna working backwards!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Aerial / Antenna working backwards!!

Hi Guys
    Here's to hoping someone can share some wisdom regarding my radio aerial that extends fully when the radio is switched off, or the ignitiion is switched off.... and then sadly retracts approx half way when the radio is switched on!

I bought the car ('04 NJ) with a buggered aerial. I removed and opened the aerial up and found that in addition to the mast being bent in several places, the serrated nylon 'rope' was brocken. I purchased a replacement mast and rope and fit it to the existing unit (which was still in great shape). I used a power supply to extend and retract the mast fully several times. It did this perfectly smoothly and silently.

I then fit it up inside the inner guard and tried the radio whereby the above symptoms presented themselves. ie: it only extends when the radio or ignition is switched off, and retracts to half way when the radio is switched on.

There are 2 plugs and an earth wire on the aerial assembly. These plugs can only fit in one way (as far as I can tell), so I am at a loss as to how this could have happened. Does it sound like I've omitted to reset something, or did I reassemble the unit incorrectly?

I did a quick Google search and nothing popped up, so i'll probably drive by a car-stereo joint on Monday afternoon, however if any of you guys can help in any way it would be very much appreciated.

cheers

Sounds like you have the wiring around the wrong way, or the replacement works opposite to the original. Sounds to me somehow the power up is now connected to the power down and vise versa.

But I go to an auto sparky for even simple things so maybe I'm not to be listened to.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Its possible the activation type wire thats hooked up to the head unit isnt hooked up correctly either...

Comment

Thanks for your replies gents. The fact that it all went back together so smoothly, PLUS the fact that it only moves between fully extended (when switched off!) and HALF retractred (when switched on!) has me baffled.

I'll call a some auto-sound shops tomorrow and see if I can find one with time / inclination to share knowledge.

ta

Comment

Originally posted by RealThumbz View Post
          Hi Guys
          I bought the car ('04 NJ) with a buggered aerial. I removed and opened the aerial up and found that in addition to the mast being bent in several places, the serrated nylon 'rope' was brocken. I purchased a replacement mast and rope and fit it to the existing unit (which was still in great shape). I used a power supply to extend and retract the mast fully several times. It did this perfectly smoothly and silently.

I then fit it up inside the inner guard and tried the radio whereby the above symptoms presented themselves. ie: it only extends when the radio or ignition is switched off, and retracts to half way when the radio is switched on.
          I had to replace the mast in mine as well.

You don't mention it, did you pull the assembly to pieces to remove the other bit of the snapped cable ?

If you didn't it might be the motor can only pull the antenna down until the area where the white cable is stored is full and cuts out.

Secondly if you did pull the whole arrangement down. Are you sure you put the locator disc back in the right spot ? A disc with three wires coming off it.

When I fixed mine, I put it all back in the car less the mast and powered it up by turning the radio on. I moved the position toggle on the dash a few times so it located itself then I fed the cable in starting from full extension back to half way. Then back to full extension before turning the radio off.

Really the module should figure itself out after the first time unless that location disc is in wrong.

I reckon that disc is in wrong which would be easy enough to do.
          'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Jaydee, that was a seriously useful reply.

I did completely disassemble the unit and removed all of the pieces of old broken serated cable/rope. Locator disk? If that is one of the internal components, I didn't identify it specifically as a locator disk. I remember there was a 2 part gear wheel which drive the serated cable, and are driven by a smaller gear which in turn is driven by the motor (worm drive). Looks as though I'll be whipping it out again for another strip down to see if I can track down and id these parts and see if they look 'out of place'.

Mate, what do you mean by the "position toggle on the dash"? Also, can you just feed the cable into the unit and the unit just coils it all up correctly???

I'll definately pull it down to check, however it would be great if you can get back to me about that 'position toggle'.
            Cheers

Comment

Its possible you dont have i guess - on my dash there is a switch that allows the arial to be at full height or half height.

Comment

Originally posted by RealThumbz View Post

I did completely disassemble the unit and removed all of the pieces of old broken serated cable/rope. Locator disk? If that is one of the internal components, I didn't identify it specifically as a locator disk. I remember there was a 2 part gear wheel which drive the serated cable, and are driven by a smaller gear which in turn is driven by the motor (worm drive). Looks as though I'll be whipping it out again for another strip down to see if I can track down and id these parts and see if they look 'out of place'.

Also, can you just feed the cable into the unit and the unit just coils it all up correctly???

Locator disc you can't miss, big black sealed circle thing with three wires coming out in the main lower part of the gearcase. You had to lift it out to get to the bit where the aerial cable coils up. You have to undo the screw in the middle of it to take it out.

It's either the locator disc is in wrong or or you've plugged the connector for the wires in upside down.

Yep.... all I did was get 'my assistant' to flick the toggle switch on the dash while I fed the cable down the hole until the motor grabbed it and wound itself in.
                'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X