Alternator removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator removal.

Has anybody removed an alternator from an NL, 3.5 ltr? Can see how to get it off its mounts but am a bit bushed as to how to get it physically out past pipework, etc and onto the bench.

Been suggested to me that the radiator has to come out so that the alternator is removed forward - is that correct? Seems awfully complex if that's the case.

I replaced the alternator on my NL about 3 months ago.

If I remember correctly, I had to remove;
    1. the air cleaner box
    2. the ?intake pipe? between the air cleaner box and the intake manifold
    3. and a small bracket (I can?t remember which one but it?s the bracket that obviously gets in the way)

I was then able to wiggle the alternator out between the engine and the right hand inner guard (mine doesn?t have ABS, if yours does it may be more complicated).

I hope that this helps
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Geopaj,

Thanks for your comments, I'll give it a go when I'm next at home. No ABS so one less obstacle. Still can't believe how a simple job has been made so difficult by the designers.

Arrow.

Comment

Geopaj,

Success, managed to get the alternator out this afternoon, and relatively easily after your input. Now, is putting it back, when the time comes, as easy????

Arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by arrow View Post
          Geopaj,

Thanks for your comments, I'll give it a go when I'm next at home. No ABS so one less obstacle. Still can't believe how a simple job has been made so difficult by the designers.

Arrow.

You obviously haven't looked under the bonnet of many cars if you think a Pajero alternator is a difficult job to remove.
          Design nightmare is removing a starter motor from a Landcruiser/Lexus 100 series V8.

Comment

I can't remember which model it is, but one of the newer Fords (I think) has an alternator so difficult to get to that you practically have to remove the engine to get it out.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X