GPS for topos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS for topos

Hi, probably like most of you guys reading this, I need a GPS that can take topographic map software. It seems that the only ones that can handle this are Garmin and Magellan. Is this right? Also I've heard some bad reports about Magellan such as it's not so easy to use.
    NP GLS 3.5 Auto, Mitsu nudge, Narva driving and fogs, TX3400 UHF, Nokia hands free, Cooper ATRs, side steps, Hayman Reese hitch, Rhino bars, reversing spot

there is new magellan on market called "crossover", can be used as normal car GPS and as portable GPS device with topo maps, some RACV shops are selling them
    NW 2013 MY13 GLX-R, auto, OME lift kit, ARB bullbar, electric brake controller, GME UHF, the rest is still work in progress

Comment

Pda
      --
      Marquis
      SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

If you dont mind the bulk, take 1 laptop, add a $65 ebay GPS m"mouse" reciever and Oziexplorer. We have been using it for the last 12 months and it is great. Enough to have me thinking about installign an in-car PC.

Main negatives - it does not do turn by turn street navigation, and it is bulky.

Pat
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

I bought today magellan crosover in package with australia topo maps and tested it in neerby state forest and after that in suburbs for street by street navigation

very impressed, easy to use, simple menu, comes even with speed and red light camera alerts
          NW 2013 MY13 GLX-R, auto, OME lift kit, ARB bullbar, electric brake controller, GME UHF, the rest is still work in progress

Comment

Mag Xover I think costs over the $1000 mark, especially when packaged with Topo maps. Probably the only "GPS" unit that does street nav as well as GPS and Topo. Use it on the boat too!

With a bit of research and planning , you could probly set yourself up a PDA, car mount kit, GPS antenna, and software for less $$$. From what I have seen the Windows CE based software is pretty versatile and you get more options, zoom, printing, saving, uploading updates etc etc.

My Opinion Only!

Cheers,
            01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.

Comment

I paid $ 1270.00 for GPS and Aus Topo maps from RACV shop, it's good solution for someone who does not want to waste time and nervs building one from scratch

Comment

logic gear xl488

just purchased logic gear xl488 (kmart or officeworks). Apparently can run oziCE as well as its own Igo software. Also has bluetooth for mobile phone
                excellent value for $339 4.3" screen

has AV in for reversing camera as well - they are $60 from logic gear

I should have some info soon on how to run oziCe and topo maps

http://www.logicgear.com.au/catalogue/c4112/p66927
                Last edited by beaky; 06-04-08, 11:23 PM. Reason: forgot link

Comment

They were talking about the logic gear in another forum, as well as an ebay version for around $200 that can run the Ozi "DAV" edition (whatever that is). I am seriously considering one to ditch the laptop.

Link to Thread on Patrol4x4 (which I only read to giggle at all the 3.0TD's that go bang).

Comment

the things I wanted in a gps were

1. street nav with speed alarms
                    2. ability to run toppo map via oziCE
                    3. AV in for reversing camera
                    4. bluetooth for handsfree phone

this one does all that albeit you do have to do some setting up to run oziCE and I havent identified the av in socket so I have purchased their (logic gear) reversing camera

the gps antenna must be reasonably good. My computer room faces south and it picks up 8 or 9 satellites 1 metre into the room

bruce

Comment

Just out of interest, what sort of street map coverage do you get for country towns? Checked out my dad's Garmin Nuvi the other day in country WA and was pretty impressed. He also bought the NZ maps for $240 (on 2Gb SD card) for a recent holiday, pre-programmed all his stops, and couldn't fault it.
                      Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
                      Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
                      Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

Originally posted by linc View Post
                        Just out of interest, what sort of street map coverage do you get for country towns? Checked out my dad's Garmin Nuvi the other day in country WA and was pretty impressed. He also bought the NZ maps for $240 (on 2Gb SD card) for a recent holiday, pre-programmed all his stops, and couldn't fault it.
                        It uses latest sensis maps so would be as good as most. I think the sensis maps are about 2 years behind. I am building new house in country SA and our street (new subdivsion) is shown on the map but not named

Comment

xl488

just confirmed it does run oziCE here it is with hema simpson map. the thing that looks like an aerial is only a spool from pack of DVDs that I rested it against
                          Attached Files

Comment

Okay, can you spill the beans on getting it to run OziCE? Replace the original nav software .exe with a renamed version of Ozi?

Pat

Comment

Loks like a good unit but it makes me laugh when they claim
                              "Position Accuracy: <10 metres"

LOL... Not possible without WAAS, which is not available in Oz..
                              Cheers, John.
                              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X