Mounting UHF remote head above rear vision mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting UHF remote head above rear vision mirror

Has anyone tried to mount UHF remote head above rear vision mirror? Is this possible and/or practical?
    Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

UHF Remote Mounting

The old NB Pajero I had, was fitted with a top shelf above the windscreen, with the UHF and HF CB radios mounted in it. I found that having the mike cables hanging down in the field of vision was really annoying. This led me to remoting the actual mikes down behind the lining on the A pillars and fitting sockets (female mike sockets) into the underside of the dash, and then plugging the mikes into these.
    I feel that having the UHF remote above the rear view mirror would similarly cause the mike cables to be hanging down into the field of view - to me at least, hence annoying and possibly illegal (like hanging things from the rear view mirror).
    NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Paj View Post
      The old NB Pajero I had, was fitted with a top shelf above the windscreen, with the UHF and HF CB radios mounted in it. I found that having the mike cables hanging down in the field of vision was really annoying. This led me to remoting the actual mikes down behind the lining on the A pillars and fitting sockets (female mike sockets) into the underside of the dash, and then plugging the mikes into these.
      I feel that having the UHF remote above the rear view mirror would similarly cause the mike cables to be hanging down into the field of view - to me at least, hence annoying and possibly illegal (like hanging things from the rear view mirror).
      Yeah upon reflection you're probably right. I'll keep looking for a good place to mount it. Thanks.
      Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

Yes I have it up there... if you take the interior light out, you'll see there's a piece of metal behind it you can screw into. It holds the bracket perfectly... then I ran the wire around the inside of the windscreen.

It's a great spot for a remote head.
        Ąđżą aka Adam
        2004 NP Pajero
        Bullbar, Towbar, Snorkel, ARB Compressor, BFG M/T, D/Lights, TJM Bash, Dual Battery, Tait UHF, AM CB, Waeco, Lovells, Billies, Barrier

Comment

Thanks Adza. You don't find the mic gets in the way?

Comment

No not at all... whenever radios are mounted up high you always have the mic cable hanging down a little... I'm used to it and it doesn't worry me.

You can see it in the rear view mirror, but firstly it doesn't inhibit any rear view, and secondly, with the rear wheel, cargo barrier, rear seat headrest and anything in the back, you can't see much anyway.
            Ąđżą aka Adam
            2004 NP Pajero
            Bullbar, Towbar, Snorkel, ARB Compressor, BFG M/T, D/Lights, TJM Bash, Dual Battery, Tait UHF, AM CB, Waeco, Lovells, Billies, Barrier

Comment

just mounted a Uniden UH012SX up there today in my NP, teck screwed into the roof bracket mentioned in previous posts (remove light and look in), mounted mike hilder on bottom side of unit, as in previous NL, when using CB, leave it in bracket and just talk. cable doesn't bother me. just have to figure out how to mount the antena, don't have a bull bar or nudge bar!
              2003 NP DID GLS Auto, 50mm Iron Man Suspension, ARB BBar, Chinese winch, custom fridge/equipment rack, Rhino RoofBars and alum TGM roof rack, UHF CB, Bridgstone D697 265/70-16, Safari Snorkel, Polyair

Comment

I used Z bracket (from Jaycar or DSE) for my antenna. No holes to drill and a short antenna cable run.
                Rob

2011 RX, Redarc Smartstart, dual batteries, Tow-Pro Elite, Garmin Nuvi 3590, Safety Dave caravan rear camera, HID high beam upgrade, Viofo A119 dashcam. Icom IC-450 UHF. Firestone HD Airbags. Tows a 2015 Jurgens Sungazer.

Previously, 2005 NP DiD Platinum, similar mods/additions, towed a 20' Paramount semi offroad caravan or Pioneer Longreach camper trailer.

Some pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3stBBS
                Dashcam Viewer example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIrjZTVdqM

Comment

I've got two antennae on the bullbar (one either side) and one shorter one on a Z bracket mounted beside the bonnet on the drivers side.
                  Ąđżą aka Adam
                  2004 NP Pajero

Comment

I was thinking that the cut-out in the RV meter might be a good spot for the slimline CB's, anyone done this?

John
                    Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

Originally posted by john_char View Post
                      I was thinking that the cut-out in the RV meter might be a good spot for the slimline CB's, anyone done this?

John
                      What models did you have in mind? Are you referring to the remote head units by any chance?

Comment

Working...
                      X