Which GPS to buy - advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which GPS to buy - advice please

My wife - God bless her heart - has decided to buy me a suprise GPS sat-nav for my birthday.

I've had a read through some forums and did a bit of google-ing and have narrowed it down to some options.

I'm hoping to get some reviews of the models I've narrowed it down to, and maybe some reviews on some models I haven't seen yet.

I've read Schniff's thoughts on the Infill G4, but that's a bit to $$$ for me.

So far I'm seriously thinking about the.....

Tom Tom One XL
    Tom Tom One Slim
    Garmin Quest
    Garmin Streetpilot C510
    Navman F20

So that's about it. Text to voice would be great. Bluetooth not needed. Playing mp3's and taking pictures isn't that important.

Any advice or alternative brands would be great.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Cheers,
    Rob

2007 NS VRX DID Auto - ARB Bullbar, Dual Deep Cycle Batteries, Nightstalker HID's, Family Pack, Tow Bar & Lift, Illuminated Side-Steps, Bluetooth, Neoprene Seat Covers, Mio Digiwalker C520 GPS.
    1989 NG EXE Tdi Manual - Cooper ATR's on 16x8 Sunraysia's, Tough Dog 2" Lift

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 310.

Superb unit, incredbily easy to use, small in size and reads out the street names...
    -----------------------
    NS SWB-X, Nudge bar, Towbar, Sunroof, GPS, Rear cam
    -----------------------

Comment

Thanks. Had a look at it on the net. One thing I forgot to add... How do the GPS's copy off-road.

Are the preloaded with dirt roads or other off-road tracks?
      Cheers,
      Rob

2007 NS VRX DID Auto - ARB Bullbar, Dual Deep Cycle Batteries, Nightstalker HID's, Family Pack, Tow Bar & Lift, Illuminated Side-Steps, Bluetooth, Neoprene Seat Covers, Mio Digiwalker C520 GPS.

Comment

Good question, which I can't answer as I havent tried it off road... sorry maybe someone else can help...
        -----------------------
        NS SWB-X, Nudge bar, Towbar, Sunroof, GPS, Rear cam
        -----------------------

Comment

Hi
          Just bought a Garmin Quest a couple of weeks ago from Electric Bug in Adelaide
          Salesman asked what did I want to do and when I mentioned to be able to input a GPS co-ordinate, say out of "Camps 4" he said there were only a couple that would do that, one being the Quest and the other a couple of grand which I wasn't going to spend.

Some others he said would sort of allow co-ordinate input but would only take you to the nearest town which may be a hundred km away.

The Quest provides a trackback function with compass type display if hiking which I don't believe too many or any other turn by turn voice type street navigators can do. Voice nav only available when plugged into 12v socket, up to 20hr batt life unplugged, crappy menu or so I think so still at the moment, but does what I wanted it do, just got refer to manual for a bit longer until I get a better handle on the menu. Display is a bit small but then it is also a very handy size to slip into top pocket when leaving vehicle unattended. Horses for courses, I guess!

Comes with City Navigator 7.0 preinstalled, also bought Tracks4Australia on CD (can download for free off net) both of which can also be installed on both computer and GPS. Great for preplanning a route on big computer screen map and extremely easy transfer of preplanned routes, waypoints to or from each device.

All of the above is how I understand it at the moment, so please feel free to correct me if I'm up the creek

Mal
          NP GLX DID Auto
          ARB winch bar
          Nite Stalker Spots
          265/70/16 MAXXIS 770
          Towbar
          TX3200 UHF
          Tekonsha Prodigy
          Kingsley Side Steps
          Polyairs
          Rhino Track Mnt Bars

Comment

That's awesome Mal. Thanks for that. I think being able to plot in a GPS coordinate and being able to get there is a brilliant idea.

I also like the tracks4australia software. sounds like i can download or purchase offroad software if i need it. great.

thanks for the advice on the Quest.
            Cheers,
            Rob

Comment

If you want a unit that will do on road and off road satnav on a good price the HP travel companion range is brilliant. Try the Hp5765 or the HP 5965, they are both windows based PDAs with bluetooth, in built GPS and Tomtom software installed. Oziexplorer CE will work on them, and the 5765 can be had for as low as $485 online. Only disadvantage is that they don't have the nice 4.3 inch screen some of the dedicated street navigators.
              Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Thanks Schniff. I'll check them out.

Right now the Tomtom Go 910 is on top of the list.

Just read your post on the Infill G4. Good luck with the system. Keep us posted on how you're finding all the features over the next couple of weeks.
                Cheers,
                Rob

Comment

Hey Rob,

I have a Mio P550, cost me a bit, but if you don't need wireless or bluetooth, the P350 would do your job. The software included with these units can recorded your tracks so you can follow them back. You can also stop at restart the recording, doing this will change the line colour so you can see where you have been on different days, thats what i use it for.

I work for the importer of these units, PM me and i'll get you one at wholesale .

You can check their range out at http://www.mio-tech.com.au

Cheers,

Ben.

edit: PS If you can get up to Morningside where i work doing a week day, i'd be more then happy to demo one for you.
                  MY05 NP Pajero GLX DiD, 5 speed auto, 2" Lift, Tait TM8115 UHF

Comment

Gday Aussie,

Does MIO include any off-road tracks or anything like that? Or can these be uploaded?

Sorry - I'm completely new to 4x4, GPS, off-road, etc.. so that might be a silly question.

I've read a few reviews and they are very positive so I'm kinda keen on getting the Mio C520 unit.

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Aussie View Post
                    Hey Rob,

I have a Mio P550, cost me a bit, but if you don't need wireless or bluetooth, the P350 would do your job. The software included with these units can recorded your tracks so you can follow them back. You can also stop at restart the recording, doing this will change the line colour so you can see where you have been on different days, thats what i use it for.

I work for the importer of these units, PM me and i'll get you one at wholesale .

You can check their range out at http://www.mio-tech.com.au

Cheers,

Ben.

edit: PS If you can get up to Morningside where i work doing a week day, i'd be more then happy to demo one for you.
                    NS Shortie, Petrol Guzzler, Tow-Bar, Nudge-Bar, Rear Diff Lock, Rhino Sports roof bars, Newbee 4x4 Driver.

Comment

Got the Nuvi 660 and use Shonkymaps (free download) for off-road.
                      Download the camp sites and other things from the internet for free.

Bluetooth for phone + plays mp3's via vehicle sound system.

But it costs alot.
                      --
                      Marquis
                      SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

I use a Garmin C320 (now superseded by the C510) with City Navigator 7 for city/town/gazetted roads, Tracks for Australia Pro (see http://www.gpsoz.com.au/tracks4australia/) and ShonkyMaps (see http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=2525) for tracks and contours. Great fun, although you do need to know how to activate each particular map set for the prevailing situation - City Navigator always takes precedence, so you need to turn it off if you are off the beaten track.
                        Rob

2011 RX, Redarc Smartstart, dual batteries, Tow-Pro Elite, Garmin Nuvi 3590, Safety Dave caravan rear camera, HID high beam upgrade, Viofo A119 dashcam. Icom IC-450 UHF. Firestone HD Airbags. Tows a 2015 Jurgens Sungazer.

Previously, 2005 NP DiD Platinum, similar mods/additions, towed a 20' Paramount semi offroad caravan or Pioneer Longreach camper trailer.

Some pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3stBBS
                        Dashcam Viewer example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIrjZTVdqM

Comment

Originally posted by snoop75 View Post
                          Gday Aussie,

Does MIO include any off-road tracks or anything like that? Or can these be uploaded?

Sorry - I'm completely new to 4x4, GPS, off-road, etc.. so that might be a silly question.

I've read a few reviews and they are very positive so I'm kinda keen on getting the Mio C520 unit.

Thanks for any help.
                          Hey Snoop,

The MIO doesn't include any ofroad maps as it is powered by Sensis. But because it is a Pocket PC running windows mobile 2005, you can run any windows mobile compatible software on it.

The program that come with the MIO is capable of recording your tracks. I do this everytime i go off road. Starting to get quite a collection now . Best thing is when you are offroad you know if you have been down a certain track before.

Any other q's just ask

Comment

Originally posted by snoop75 View Post
                            Gday Aussie,

I've read a few reviews and they are very positive so I'm kinda keen on getting the Mio C520 unit.Thanks for any help.
                            Ask Rob about the C520 he got one and prob know more about it then me

Comment

Originally posted by roboz View Post
                              Tracks for Australia Pro (see http://www.gpsoz.com.au/tracks4australia/) and ShonkyMaps (see http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=2525) for tracks and contours. .
                              Roboz,

What is the difference between T4A and Shonkymaps (have you seen both)?
                              --
                              Marquis
                              SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X