Help with dual battery - new to this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with dual battery - new to this!

I recently bought a 2009 NT, that came with a deep cycle dual battery. I've taken it to a local battery store to check it, and although all is working, they've told me its a pretty rubbish system and I could do a lot better. I really struggle to understand all this 12v electronic stuff, so was hoping for some guidance! I've attached some photos (hopefully) of the system. Essentially a Century battery, with an Electro 12v 80amp isolator. The battery guys told me the wiring is very "thin" and not particularly robust, but it is charging up. Its wired to the 12v plug in the right rear of the vehicle which I believe is simply the factory fitted outlet.
    Basically, I want to run a fridge in the back, and it has been suggested to "link" the batteries so that I can use the 2nd battery to start the vehicle should the primary battery fail. So my questions are:
    1) is this battery system any good?
    2) Will it suffice to run my fridge?
    3) Any suggestions on upgrades (including wiring, monitors, brands etc)
    4) how do I work out how long it will run my fridge for? I've found some calculations but are they accurate? I do a fair bit of 2-3 day camping where the vehicle remains stationary the entire time.
    5) On a slightly different note, there is also a hayman reece electric brake controller under the dash. There only seems to be a normal plug for a van or trailer, so I assume this system runs through that? If I want to get a trailer with a battery system, can this charge through the same pin or do I need one of those additional wired plugs? (forgotten the name!)

Any help or general advice much appreciated!

20131009_172745.jpg
    20131009_172758.jpg

G'day Dogtor
    Your electric brake should run through your existing plug that you have, from memory there is extra wires in the plug (7) I think from memory so you should be right there. As for your dual batt set up what gauge - thickness, can not see in pics as covered, I'm not sure about your isolator but IMO they basically all do the same, (charge main batt to a certain charge & then isolator opens to charge dual batt & when main batt gets low the isolator cuts power charge to dual system) I did mine myself & (I'm not that cluey). I will take picks of my setup when I get home, but Someone on here will be able tell & help you with anything you need.
    Cheers
    Bryan
    2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!

Comment

agrre that the wiring in that setup is rubbish, never heard of the controller but looking at its specs cant see why it wouldnt work. Battery should be fine

a fridge will not run properly through the rear power outlet as the wiring is too thin to cope with the current draw.

Think of it like a hole in a bucket, a small hole only lets a small flow of water to occur as the hole gets bigger so does the flow of water.

Wire acts like the hole small wire whilst still delivering just doesn't deliver enough in a timely fashion.

I would be buying a couple of prefitted battery leads from supercheap or somewhere and connect the earth of each battery to each other with one, the second lead i reserve as my jump start lead, as i run marine type terminals in normal use i just leave it looped on itself connected to the rear battery and if i need to jump start i simply connect 1 end to the first battery and start the car. Some isolators have a push button to link the batteries but in my experience they dont work well as they are limited by the size of the wire.

Now moving on to your power for the fridge you need to run some heavier wire to the rear of your vehicle and ither fit Anderson plugs or install a merit type plug in the back to run the fridge off, leave the standard outlet for running a worklight or similar, just something that doesn't draw a lot of power.

this is the stuff i use for running fridges and accessories ( not Winches)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30M-ROLL-...6ce8d41&_uhb=1

cant see it costing a fortune to upgrade what you have to something usable and is really an easy diy if you want tohave a go.
      Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
      Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I'll keep trawling other threads as well to get some ideas on how to set it all up.
        Dog

Comment

My Merit plug falls out enough to be annoying, so I'd go with an Anderson for a positive connection.

Cheers, Brett

2013 NW Pajero VRX - White - 3000kg Tow Kit - Sports Mesh Grille - Bonnet & Light Protectors/Weathershields - Thule Wingbar - Tyre Snake - Couplertec Electronic Rustproofing - Maxtrax Mk1 - Piranha Aux Battery Tray - Redarc 1240 Charger - ARB 47 Litre Fridge - MSA Fridge Drop Slide - Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier - ORS Drawers - ARB Deluxe Bullbar - GME TX3540 UHF & AE4703 Antenna - ARB Intensity Lights - ARB Onboard Compressor - Bilstein/Dobinsons Susp - Bushskinz x 4

Comment

I use these sockets http://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalOn...02/32&ref=null.

Never come unplugged, but easy to unplug when you want to. Brother in Law is a farmer and been using them for years.

Comment

Originally posted by rotor138 View Post
              I use these sockets http://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalOn...02/32&ref=null.

Never come unplugged, but easy to unplug when you want to. Brother in Law is a farmer and been using them for years.
              Haven't seen those for years. My old man used to use those in his old folding caravan.

Cheers, Brett

2013 NW Pajero VRX - White - 3000kg Tow Kit - Sports Mesh Grille - Bonnet & Light Protectors/Weathershields - Thule Wingbar - Tyre Snake - Couplertec Electronic Rustproofing - Maxtrax Mk1 - Piranha Aux Battery Tray - Redarc 1240 Charger - ARB 47 Litre Fridge - MSA Fridge Drop Slide - Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier - ORS Drawers - ARB Deluxe Bullbar - GME TX3540 UHF & AE4703 Antenna - ARB Intensity Lights - ARB Onboard Compressor - Bilstein/Dobinsons Susp - Bushskinz x 4

Comment

Originally posted by Yclept View Post
                Haven't seen those for years. My old man used to use those in his old folding caravan.
                Still available normally the electrical wholesaler has to order them in though.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X