ARB dual battery tray and replacement batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARB dual battery tray and replacement batteries

A heads up for those of you who have the ARB dual battery tray.

The Century 47T battery (which fits perfectly) that the tray is issued with is no longer made. Mine just failed. The replacement is the D23 but it is about 15-20mm taller and I think will foul the bonnet.

Looking around there are limited options - you can get a Optima yellow top (D34 I think, with reversed terminals) or a Deka hybrid battery but both are $350+. There is apparently a deep cycle DIN53 battery that will fit but I was quoted $280 for it (might as well go for the Optima).

ARB recommend now a Optima D75/25 yellow top battery. Their RRP is $450 but I've seen it on eBay for $300. It's only a 48Ah battery with RC of 98. I presume they use a reversed terminal version.

I have decided to go for a Commodore "58" battery. It is a starter battery but its not an issue for me as our battery is mostly used running the fridge on day trips or overnighters at the most (since we take a camper trailer for longer stays) - don't need the deep cycle capability. Paid $140 for a Century version. It has an RC of 90, no Ah rating of course as its a starter. At half the price of the Optima even if I get a couple of years out of it I'll be in front.
    Last edited by Dion; 05-12-13, 12:44 PM.
    2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Hi Dion,

I have the ARB battery tray and have put in a Century D23LT, it fits nicely, the terminals don't foul the bonnet or the bonnet lining...

Its a 65 a/h deep cycle and only cost me $131.

Seems the way to go for these trays?

Cheers.

Matt
    | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
    | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
    | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
    | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

Originally posted by MoreliaMatt View Post
      Hi Dion,

I have the ARB battery tray and have put in a Century D23LT, it fits nicely, the terminals don't foul the bonnet or the bonnet lining...

Its a 65 a/h deep cycle and only cost me $131.

Seems the way to go for these trays?

Cheers.

Matt
      That's interesting - I was certain it was going to foul on the bonnet with the extra height? Also weird why ARB uses a tiny Optima battery now instead of that?
      2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

Well I went and did some testing. Put a dollop of blu-tak ~30mm high on the top of the negative terminal and slammed the bonnet.

On opening it was squashed down to around 12-15mm. Your D23LT must be just millimetres from the lining? If you don't have a cover on the negative terminal like I do you've probably got a few extra mm, but gee it'd be close.

I know its just the lining - and there is more gap to the bonnet/metal - but I'd be keeping an eye on it especially after corrugations etc. It's gotta be real close?

Comment

Originally posted by Dion View Post
          Well I went and did some testing. Put a dollop of blu-tak ~30mm high on the top of the negative terminal and slammed the bonnet.

On opening it was squashed down to around 12-15mm. Your D23LT must be just millimetres from the lining? If you don't have a cover on the negative terminal like I do you've probably got a few extra mm, but gee it'd be close.

I know its just the lining - and there is more gap to the bonnet/metal - but I'd be keeping an eye on it especially after corrugations etc. It's gotta be real close?
          Hey Dion,

Just did some testing the same as you with a big dollop of blutak....

Positive terminal 29mm
          Negative terminal 18mm

So... heaps of room!

Cheers,

Matt

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
          | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
          | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
          | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Comment

Man that's weird!

Here's a pic of the blutak on top of the 47T in mine.

The extra height of the D23 in mine would push it pretty close.
            Attached Files

Comment

This is very interesting!

Any chance you can measure the actual height of your battery from where it sits in the tray to the top of your terminals?

I'll go measure mine now...

Comment

227mm to the top of the negative terminal cover, which is the highest point on the battery...
                Attached Files

Comment

Mine comes in at 218mm (dead on the published spec).

So the difference is under 10mm between the batteries, but that still doesn't explain why we have different height measurements to the bonnet. I can only think of manufacturing variation in the ARB battery tray?

Comment

Originally posted by Dion View Post
                    Mine comes in at 218mm (dead on the published spec).

So the difference is under 10mm between the batteries, but that still doesn't explain why we have different height measurements to the bonnet. I can only think of manufacturing variation in the ARB battery tray?
                    Yeah could be that? No other explanation really...

Your terminal covers look bigger, but that would only be a couple of mm

Comment

Just did a few calculations with the figures we've already posted up....
                      your battery height + the blutak gap comes to 233mm
                      mine comes to 245mm

Thats a big variance (12mm) between the 2... Either my bonnet is sitting higher or my battery tray is sitting lower...

Hang on, just thought, my battery might be slightly shorter than yours therefore sitting a bit further aft, and with the bonnet angle that might be where we are coming up with the difference?! What do you think?
                      The D23 sits about 10mm past the 'ledge' of the aux section of the tray, if you know what i mean?

Excuse my dodgy paint drawing....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah could be that? No other explanation really...

Your terminal covers look bigger, but that would only be a couple of mm
                        Yeah its only a soft rubber thing.

Weird.

Comment

Just did a few calculations with the figures we've already posted up....
                          your battery height + the blutak gap comes to 233mm
                          mine comes to 245mm

Thats a big variance (12mm) between the 2... Either my bonnet is sitting higher or my battery tray is sitting lower...

Hang on, just thought, my battery might be slightly shorter than yours therefore sitting a bit further aft, and with the bonnet angle that might be where we are coming up with the difference?! What do you think?
                          The D23 sits about 10mm past the 'ledge' of the aux section of the tray, if you know what i mean?

Excuse my dodgy paint drawing....
                          Hmm I think you might be onto something. Looking at specs on the net the D23 is a bit shorter (only 7mm, mind you), so that plus the variance in the ARB tray probably accounts for our difference. Something to keep in mind. I have my battery quite far forward in the ARB tray (almost at the ledge) as I have a fused positive battery terminal that does a right angle over the side of the battery so I need to move it forward to clear the edge of the ARB tray.

Problem solved!
                          Last edited by Dion; 05-12-13, 08:31 PM.

Comment

From a while ago.

There has been many discussions about batt size and modification to the tray to fit a larger battery. I have done the modification and have fitted an 80Ahr battery. Tommorrow i will fit a Ctek D250s and tiddy up all my wiring.

Some pics for you all.
                            Standard brand new ARB tray

Modded tray front lip removed, primmed and painted.

Super charge deep cycle 80Ahr from Auto one $190.00

Batteries in situ

Comment

I also have the same battery,had it about a year now with no issues
                              a couple of pics here....
                              https://www.dropbox.com/sc/npybz83rpdxtf08/bJhr0xPkXL
                              bushranger hid spotlights

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X